Thread: Windows 10 blue screen

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,043 in 1,386 posts

Default Windows 10 blue screen

On my laptop I have 2 user accounts, when I sign in with one the log in screen is fine but once loaded all I have is a blue screen and no desktop, mouse works ok but obviously nothing there, I can change user using ctrl alt delete and log in fine with the other account and all works well.

Whats going on and how do I fix it ?

Liked 5,820 in 3,345 posts

Default Re: Windows 10 blue screen

Create a new user account and use that instead. Delete the old one.

Liked 1,094 in 782 posts

When you get the blue screen try ctrl alt delete to bring up the task manager to see if something strange is going on, then start killing tasks to see if you can stop whatever is causing the problem.

Otherwise KFB's solution is likely to be quickest and easiest if starting afresh will be fairly painless. You don't need to create a new account, just rename the old one in windows explorer (if there may be files to recover) while logged in as the other user.

Liked 2,539 in 1,846 posts

Dont you get the option to save files and folders anymore when deleting an account?

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,043 in 1,386 posts

The user account thatís playing up is the admin account. Iíve put into safe mode at start up and done a start up repair, pc said repair was unsuccessful but itís now working correctly.
    No idea whatís going on as itís been fine for 2 years now, was just thinking how stable windows 10 was.....

Is it possible to do a whole PC back up like on an iPad so if it fails I can just buy another and hit restore from cloud ?

Liked 1,094 in 782 posts

Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post
    Is it possible to do a whole PC back up like on an iPad so if it fails I can just buy another and hit restore from cloud ?
    That's pretty much what I do, all my documents and favourites are saved to the cloud anyway. If you are talking about a ghost style backup where apps and everything are backed up then maybe, it should be able to pick up new drivers for new hardware but I wouldn't assume it will work.
    Last edited by Mussels; 16-06-18 at 08:43.

Go Back to Forum My Forum