Thread: DIY windscreen repairs.

Liked 97 in 60 posts

Default DIY windscreen repairs.

I've got a chip/crack in the windscreen of the car. It's in the bottom left corner (as you look at it from outside the vehicle), so it's out of the driver's line of sight, but still within the swept area of the drivers' wiper. It's less than 15mm diameter, which some Googling suggests is quite repairable.
    Autoglass (my insurers approved repairer) say that the screen needs to be replaced (despite the information on their website saying that damage of this size and in this area is repairable). I've been shafted for unnecessary work/hidden costs by Autoglass in the past, so they can fuck right off, frankly.

So, I'm now looking at DIY kits such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-5198-...en+repair+kits
    Has anyone used a kit such as this? They seem to get pretty good reviews. Should I just take it to a reputable local repair place?

TIA.

Liked 1,826 in 941 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: DIY windscreen repairs.

I had a windscreen "repaired" once. It's definitely not invisible. They drill a little hole with a Dremel like tool then push clear resin in under pressure. Possibly it works to stop the crack spreading but I felt it was rather ugly and TBH I wouldn't bother again. If it's legal I'll leave it and if it's not then it needs to be changed anyway.

I should add, I wouldn't use one of the big name windscreen companies, they take the p155 on their pricing on the basis that most people claim it back on their insurance. The smaller local dealers are just as good at a fraction of the price.

3. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Tomcat:

Liked 535 in 330 posts

I've had a couple of repairs done over the years and whilst, as Tomcat says, not invisible, the repair will stop the damage getting worse.

5. The following user liked this post made by McNab:

Doc

Liked 97 in 60 posts

Ta.

I've had repairs done in the past too, so I don't expect it to be invisible. I just want to stop the crack spreading and to avoid any headaches come MOT time. My main question is - are the DIY kits worthwhile or is it a job best left to a pro (like plastering!).

Go Back to Forum My Forum