TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Castellane and mountain weather

Liked 127 in 83 posts

Default Castellane and mountain weather

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'm on my usual June trip.
    Ferry to St Malo (We tried to book the Santander ferry but it was fully booked, so no Portugal this year :-( )
    Biarritz
    Camping Gavin at the start of the N260
    Sort for two nights
    Sete
    And finally beautiful Castellane for five days before we head back.

The weather forecast wasn't great for yesterday afternoon, so we had a day off. We climbed up Le Roc in the morning and had a little drink in a bar in town afterwards. Sure enough the forecasted storms rolled in. (The BBC weather app seems to be pretty good) and it started to spot with rain. Within twenty minutes the road was a foot deep in water and the bar we were in and all the other shops and houses were flooded. It was biblical.

Last June we were 6 miles south of Castellane on the N85 in perfect blue skies and 30. We started to head back as it was clouding up. A hail storm started almost instantly. An hour and a half of golf ball sized hail had us trapped in a very squelchy lay bye. It was so bad and so cold we didn't know how long it would be before we could ride out of there. It was quite frightening. I've never been so cold. An hour later the cars had made some tracks in the hail so we gingerly bimbled back to the campsite. An hour after that it was blue skies and 30 again.
    Crazy stuff.

Beware the mountains!

2. The following 3 users liked this useful post by ninja:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,719 in 2,154 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Castellane and mountain weather

Nasty. The worst rain I've ever seen was in Montreuil, Pas-de-Calais, so heavy it was forcing the drain covers up. Happily it didn't last long.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 6 in 2 posts

Default Re: Castellane and mountain weather

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Nasty. The worst rain I've ever seen was in Montreuil, Pas-de-Calais, so heavy it was forcing the drain covers up. Happily it didn't last long.
    this is some thinks that we call to deal with...

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission