TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Mesh Networking for Home Wi-Fi

Liked 4,028 in 2,119 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Mesh Networking for Home Wi-Fi

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I have a BT smart hub and we've always had problems with wifi despite using various network extenders and home plugs through the electric wiring.

Well I bit the bullet and bought the pack of 3 BT Whole Home mesh wifi thingummybobs.

Installation was much easier after I realised you have to have the first disk permanently connected to the router with an ethernet cable. After that it was a whole morning reconfiguring every wifi device (and those that were previously wired through home plugs) to the new network.

I have to say after a day it appears to be brilliant. Full fat video streaming even in the nether regions of the house. No drop outs of our Hue lighting or the 3 Alexa devices we primarily use as radios. And a good signal in the garden which had none before.

I would recommend to anyone who is having problems with wi-fi reach from a single router.

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Reburner:

Liked 1,191 in 834 posts

Default Re: Mesh Networking for Home Wi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Reburner View Post
    I would recommend to anyone who is having problems with wi-fi reach from a single router.
    (You don't get wifi from a router - but) I would always recommend not having your wifi near your router anyway. WiFi points are usually better centrally located and routers are usually quite close to the incoming net line.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,750 in 864 posts
    Blog Entries

I looked into it but too much of a tightarse. About to convert 5th bedroom to a proper office and the existing signal
    is shit in there so might have to bite the bullet, as we find wifi printing and media streaming/sharing in particular to be highly useful. I believe Mesh also means the same SSID throughout which will also be handy, as opposed to range extenders

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,133 in 2,632 posts

I looked at the Sky offering, which is rated as being decent, but bloomin' pricey.
    For now, at this house I stick to switching to 2ghz when I want WiFi in the garage as it has a better reach than 5ghz.

Liked 1,191 in 834 posts

I went for a Ubiquiti wireless access point, far better than BT et al add ons. Fully managable, configurable and the broadcast signlal is brilliant.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,566 in 1,532 posts

You do realise that all access points that are legal in the UK have the same 800mW output, this is measured at the output of the antenna.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Liked 1,201 in 849 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    You do realise that all access points that are legal in the UK have the same 800mW output, this is measured at the output of the antenna.

That's the maximum but not all are the same. I replaced talktalk WiFi router with a nighthawk one, the nighthawk is far superior in reaching all parts of the house.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,566 in 1,532 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    That's the maximum but not all are the same. I replaced talktalk WiFi router with a nighthawk one, the nighthawk is far superior in reaching all parts of the house.
    I'd be surprised if any of them are pumpingnout less than 800mW as China allows at least 2W, it could be down to poor antennas or maybe the antenna is a different polarity to your firdt one

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission