TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: New battery and now bike does not want to start

A Bit Bored
    Liked 3 in 3 posts

Red face New battery and now bike does not want to start

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi all,

perhaps you can help me on this little mystery.

Bought new battery and installed yesterday on my Moto Guzzi 1000 SP.

Battery kicks like a mule but engine does not start.

I have checked spark plugs, which were very dirty (last time, two weeks ago, I had made many attempts to start bike with old battery).

Two new spark plugs installed and still no results.

The battery kicks and I have also tried with my monster jump starter, which would awaken the dead, but no result.

Some more information that might be useful or not:

Fuel tank is full.

Several attempts made with and without starter, with and without fuel tap open (to avoid flooding)

Bike not used for two weeks (otherwise I am on it every weekend).

Yesterday it was extremely warm.

New cables and new electronic ignition installed last year, all worked flawlessly.

I know I am doing something wrong, and it must be something very little/stupid, but what might it be?

Many thanks to all who can help!

Omobono

Liked 257 in 90 posts

Default Re: New battery and now bike does not want to start

Quote Originally Posted by Omobono View Post
    Hi all,

perhaps you can help me on this little mystery.

Bought new battery and installed yesterday on my Moto Guzzi 1000 SP.

Battery kicks like a mule but engine does not start.

I have checked spark plugs, which were very dirty (last time, two weeks ago, I had made many attempts to start bike with old battery).

Two new spark plugs installed and still no results.

The battery kicks and I have also tried with my monster jump starter, which would awaken the dead, but no result.

Some more information that might be useful or not:

Fuel tank is full.

Several attempts made with and without starter, with and without fuel tap open (to avoid flooding)

Bike not used for two weeks (otherwise I am on it every weekend).

Yesterday it was extremely warm.

New cables and new electronic ignition installed last year, all worked flawlessly.

I know I am doing something wrong, and it must be something very little/stupid, but what might it be?

Many thanks to all who can help!

Omobono
    Fuel, air, compression, spark. Have you checked that there is a spark when it turns over? If not, places to check are the position and wiring of the kill switch and the ignition switch, plus any fuses and ground points. What state are your coils in? Do you have points or electronic ignition? edit, just seen you have EI. Check the connections to the coils and to earth. Why did you think the old battery needed replacing? Has your charging circuit given up the ghost? Have you got fuel? Is it old and stale? Are your petrol tap filters clogged? Do you have good compression? What air filters are you running, and how clogged are they?

Is it trying to fire, or is it completely dead?

In order, I would check that it's sparking, then I'd check that fuel was getting to the carbs. Then a quick snick into gear and an impromptu compression test by pushing it in 3rd or 4th.

So many question, so hot. I'm going for a lie down. Good luck.

3. The following user liked this post made by Pugwash:

Liked 230 in 185 posts

Don't hit me ...do they have a kill switch ?

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by asmethurst:

Liked 2,139 in 1,096 posts
    Blog Entries

My diesel Vivaro can be a bit of a pig to start in hot weather as fuel tends to vapourise in the lines. Also my SV650 doesn't seem to like much choke. So it could be weather linked.

Liked 721 in 413 posts

Might be you Crank position sensor swap it for the flywheel position sensor. If you flick your kill switch with ignition on and you get a spark at the grounded plug this is what I would suspect. They can fail and can play up when dirty. Cheap replacements on ebay this one fits
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Facet-Cra...item2a8524b5b3

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,495 in 1,484 posts

You've broken something fitting the battery

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

A Bit Bored
    Liked 3 in 3 posts

Hi all and thank tyou for your help!

Tank is full, fuel two weeks old.

Starter engine works fine (this is what I meant with the battery "kicking like a mule", the starter works very fine) but the engine does not start.

The old battery was tired and never recovered fully after I forgot to disconnect the positive when I gave it to the paint shop to be resprayed (then there were complications and it stayed there two months). The old battery worked fine when jump started and rode for twenty minutes (meaning, I only needed to ride it twenty minutes and then it started fine all day, six times in a row no probem), but was unable to keep the charge over the week. To see how bad the problem was I jump started and stopped after only 12 minutes at the near fuel station. Battery was unable to restart after many attempts. Hence the decision to install a new, identical battery (very happy with the old one before I made the mistake, it really kicks like a mule). I shoved the bike from the fuel station to the garage, no big deal as all flat but boy it was a hot afternoon.... two weeks later I drive back to the garage with the new battery and the bike does not start.

Bike does have a kill switch and I have checked that it is on "engine on".

When I go back to the garage next weekend I will check all the fuses, then clean and reinstall spark plug after checking if they have spark. After which I really don't know what it might be unless it was the excessive warm.

Nothing was changed on the bike which was working just fine. Only old battery out and new battery in, hence my surprise...

Thanks

O

Liked 257 in 90 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Omobono View Post
    Hi all and thank tyou for your help!

Tank is full, fuel two weeks old.

Starter engine works fine (this is what I meant with the battery "kicking like a mule", the starter works very fine) but the engine does not start.

The old battery was tired and never recovered fully after I forgot to disconnect the positive when I gave it to the paint shop to be resprayed (then there were complications and it stayed there two months). The old battery worked fine when jump started and rode for twenty minutes (meaning, I only needed to ride it twenty minutes and then it started fine all day, six times in a row no probem), but was unable to keep the charge over the week. To see how bad the problem was I jump started and stopped after only 12 minutes at the near fuel station. Battery was unable to restart after many attempts. Hence the decision to install a new, identical battery (very happy with the old one before I made the mistake, it really kicks like a mule). I shoved the bike from the fuel station to the garage, no big deal as all flat but boy it was a hot afternoon.... two weeks later I drive back to the garage with the new battery and the bike does not start.

Bike does have a kill switch and I have checked that it is on "engine on".

When I go back to the garage next weekend I will check all the fuses, then clean and reinstall spark plug after checking if they have spark. After which I really don't know what it might be unless it was the excessive warm.

Nothing was changed on the bike which was working just fine. Only old battery out and new battery in, hence my surprise...

Thanks

O
    Can't work out from your post if the bike has ever worked with the new battery? Also, you say that the "battery was unable to start after many attempts." Was the old battery turning the engine over, but it wasn't firing, or was the battery failing to turn the engine over at all?

As I said earlier, the first thing I'd do is whip out a plug, ground it against the cylinder head, press the starter motor, then look for a spark.

If there is a strong spark, next thing I'd look for is evidence that fuel is getting through ok. If you've cranked it a few times without the engine firing then the plugs will be wet. If not, then it's a fuel feed/carbs issue. (you haven't accidentally filled it up with diesel have you?)

Liked 344 in 168 posts

Take the battery off and have a good look around to see if there’s any loose wires that should be connected to an earth. If it ran before you removed the battery the fault must be somewhere involving battery removal.
    Good luck
    Mick

A Bit Bored
    Liked 3 in 3 posts

Hi all again,
    went to the garage on Sunday (garage is away from home so I drive there during weekends only) and I have noticed that I have no spark. I have tried to only leave the big cables connected (without the smaller ones for, say, satnav) and still no joy.

To clarify: the old battery (a Motobatt identical to the new one) would not keep the charge but would work fine when charged. After I started the bike with the jump starter and rode it for, say, half an hour it was able to work perfectly and start the bike repeatedly without sign of tiredness. However, one week later it would not be able to start the bike because the power was too weak.

I decided to change the battery when, after the jump start, I stopped the bike after a short time. My aim was to see how long does it take before I have the battery fully charged and functioning as I did not want to ride around with a bike that leaves me stranded if the engine dies on me during the first 15 or 20 minutes of operation. This is exactly what happened, the battery was too weak to start the engine after refuelling.

Before dismounting the old battery I took careful note of the cables: the two big ones and then two small ones on the "negative" side and one small one on the "positive" side, and I have put them back exactly as they were. I have also dismounted the battery last Sunday and searched for "rogue cables", none found.

I begin to think that there might be a contact or defect inside the kill switch? However, how are the odds that it happens just when I install the battery?

We aren't talking a delicate flower here. This is a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP. Basically a tractor on two wheels for (originally) military use. There isn't much that can go wrong. Ah, I forgot. I checked all the fuses and all the termination of the electronic injection, installed last year but flawless up to now. I have also paid attention that the spark plugs are well pushed inside the termination of the cables in order to ensure the spark.

Never have I had such a mystery on such a simple bike. And what bugs me is that when the problem is found it will likely be something very stupid.

Liked 257 in 90 posts

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html

This page has a link to an SP1000 wiring diagram. That will show you the connections that you should have going to and from your battery.

My advice is that you ask someone who understands how to troubleshoot engine faults to look at it for you. They will likely go through a series of tests to identify what the problem is.

If you have no spark at the plugs when you remove them and ground them on the head while cranking the engine, then I'd be looking at the kill switch, the ignition switch, the low voltage supply to the coils, and the Electronic Ignition. The failure of the old battery could be masking a fault in your wiring, or you could simply have some component failing at the same time. It's an old bike, and entropy is a bitch.

Liked 721 in 413 posts

Why do you not check what I told you. If it sparks when you flick the kill switch with the plug grounded it is either the CPS. CPS connector or coils you need to eliminate these as well. So ground a plug flick the kill switch and see if it sparks.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission