Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: put my oil filter wrong, bike rattling

Liked 810 in 401 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: put my oil filter wrong, bike rattling

Liked 8,362 in 4,798 posts

Quote Originally Posted by vimtozz View Post
    500 postage + import duty may be a stumbling block.

Really Bored
    Liked 472 in 237 posts

I did just what you did when rushing to prepare my Honda XR400 for the Lands End trial one year. Loads to do night before, changing oil at silly o'clock in the morning before grabbing a bit of sleep before work, didn't think just stuffed the filter in, home from work, jump on bike and off.

I live in Reading, I rode down to Popham, 27 miles, signed on and started, rode down to Taunton, another 100 miles - it was sounding a bit flat but ran OK-ish, had my supper during the compulsory rest break, re-started (dark now) and onto the first sections, not a problem, cleaned them all, thinking happy thoughts of a Gold.

Another 40 miles later, by now it's bloody freezing and the bike's not starting as well as it could, but hey ho, I'm on gold. Got to Lynmouth, a killer of a climb - lots of revs, dump clutch and away!!! - cleaned it, just, bike was down on power but I'm still on gold so, big smile then off across Exmoor to the next section.

Cruising down the A39 at a happy 40mph and bleeeeeuuuuurrrrgggg, nothing, died. Kicked it lots, nada, not a thing, nearly 200 miles with no oil circulating. Them Honda singles are tough!!!

A while later, I stripped the engine to find out what had happened.

Damage was: camshaft lobes worn flat, this was what stopped it - the valves weren't lifting. Cylinder head - the cam runs on plain bearings in the head, little end - not enough pressure in the oil jets to lube it.

Other than that the bottom end was Ok, as was gearbox, clutch the lot.

S/H cylinder head, new rod and she was back up and running.

4. The following 4 users liked this useful post by crust:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum