TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice re purchase of domestic airconditioning

Liked 4,826 in 3,013 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice re purchase of domestic airconditioning

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    That's one way of viewing it but in my experience if you live in the ' posh' part of town (i tend to consider it not posh but simply nice) with like minded people who go to work and don't commit crime/party until 5am/cause asb at every given opportunity then your life is just less stressful. I do live in a very nice area, but i have worked hard to get here, my neighbours are like me and life is simple, no hassle, no Police sirens, no aggro just getting on with life..... my brother on the other hand has done fck all his entire life and made ' questionable ' decisions let's say, he lives in not a so nice area and has constant hassle from smack head neighbours/out of control kids/noisy dogs all day and night/Police raids..... you name it. Not a chance in hell would i want to live anywhere near the area, i have a choice where i live because i have made the right decisions in life he has not and as such he is beholden to the local authority for their charity. He is forced to live in crap holes at the council's direction, choice has gone and he will never get it back.

So yes, he does live in a cheaper area than i do but it's not to be envied, he has no quality of life because too many of the great unwashed live with/near him, the higher the house/area prices the more likely it is that you escape the dross of society.
    See above reply

Liked 2,395 in 1,315 posts
    Blog Entries

Perhaps I should clarify a little!

I live in the “nicer” part of town, providing you don’t mind living on a new housing estate.

BUT it is in the East Midlands, one of the cheapest areas to live in, our town is officially an area of high deprivation, and on the other side of the tracks is a large, run down, and quite “feral” Council estate.
    We moved here ten years ago, and have been accepted into, and become part of, a very strong local community, we love it here. We can afford to live in a nice house, with great neighbors, and very low crime rates, yet we are only a couple of hours from London, and being close to the M1 means most areas are easily accessible...apart from Manchester, which is a massive twat to get to!

you can still buy a house for under 60k, and even huge places go for “peanuts”!

we now have lots of people living here and working in the south, hence the cars/boats/prevalence of people with holiday homes too!

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by adamski:

Liked 1,180 in 834 posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post

I live in the “nicer” part of town, providing you don’t mind living on a new housing estate.

BUT it is in the East Midlands, one of the cheapest areas to live in, our town is officially an area of high deprivation, and on the other side of the tracks is a large, run down, and quite “feral” Council estate.
    We moved here ten years ago, and have been accepted into, and become part of, a very strong local community, we love it here. We can afford to live in a nice house, with great neighbors, and very low crime rates, yet we are only a couple of hours from London, and being close to the M1 means most areas are easily accessible...apart from Manchester, which is a massive twat to get to!

we now have lots of people living here and working in the south, hence the cars/boats/prevalence of people with holiday homes too!
    You almost had me convinced.

Liked 1,179 in 826 posts

How does all this 'my place is cheaper than yours' affect the temperature?

Liked 96 in 69 posts

Good old Broxtowe eh Whats funny is the council don't actually have the shithole that's Broxtowe in their area

Guessing the Oldmoor Lodge is your local

Liked 1,180 in 834 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    How does all this 'my place is cheaper than yours' affect the temperature?
    The weather is colder where the cheaper homes are.

Liked 1,433 in 1,002 posts
    Blog Entries

I've noticed a big spike in home counties accents up here over the last 3 years.

Right, back OT. In the shop & this was a new build too, the aircon crew had their own number programmed into the boss's office phone. Always something & by fuck are those outside units noisy.

Just in case you have any other ideas, the lift people were also programmed in. And the alarm/ electronics, although that was vastly less used. Aircon & lift at least monthly & that's them being serviced too.

I reckon it would put me off a domestic purchase TBH. It certainly wouldn't be a decisive BUY factor.

Really Bored
    Liked 345 in 175 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    I didn't mean the shit parts of towns. I meant a cheaper part of the country.
    Lving in the cheaper part of the country isn't always possible, circumstances get in the way.

10. The following user liked this post made by Beancounter:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
    Lving in the cheaper part of the country isn't always possible, circumstances get in the way.
    It's always possible if you want it. I saw cheaper houses here and went for it.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,648 in 989 posts
    Blog Entries

You know why it's cheap though? There are fewer jobs, less stuff and its overcast 367 days a year.

It's not like everyone got together in secret and aribtrarily decided to make the south more expensive

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 3,624 in 1,800 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    It's not like everyone got together in secret and aribtrarily decided to make the south more expensive
    It's just a happy coincidence that it keep the Sweaties and Scousers away.

14. The following user liked this post made by gremlin:

Really Bored
    Liked 345 in 175 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    It's just a happy coincidence that it keep the Sweaties and Scousers away.
    Oi!! Cheeky fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    It's always possible if you want it. I saw cheaper houses here and went for it.
    Not really. Take my own situation f'rinstance. I live in Medway, not because I choose too but because my girlfriend has children with her former partner and needs to be close so she can spend as much time with them as possible. Also, my folks are not in the best of health and helps them that I'm close enough to get there within a couple of hours at the drop of a hat should they need it.

As Mr Dazzle points out, there are fewer jobs out in the regions too. Sure my job isn't strictly London/SE based but there are far more roles here than there are in Manchester/Leeds/Glasgow etc.

Don't get me wrong, the pull to move back to Scotland is strong, it's just not as easy as upping sticks and going.

16. The following user liked this post made by Beancounter:

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,052 in 2,594 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    I agree they are unsightly, .
    They am what they am, neither ugly nor beautiful, if'n they do the job you don't care what they look like.
    But then I'm coming from the position of every house round these parts having an oil or gas tank in their garden.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    They am what they am, neither ugly nor beautiful, if'n they do the job you don't care what they look like.
    But then I'm coming from the position of every house round these parts having an oil or gas tank in their garden.
    And old cars and caravans etc....

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 3,624 in 1,800 posts

Back to the OP question, Stinky Lee came round yesterday to have a measure up. We're going for a Daikin system, but I didn't want the bloody ugly units hung on the wall, so for a bit more money he's going to put units in the loft, suspended on brackets, with three circular ducts in the ceiling on each of the two bedrooms it's going in. Pipework and cabling in a cable tray in the loft to the outside and the two exterior units mounted just above the flat roof of the garage. Trunking covers the pipework outside.

I won't go into cost as that's vulgar, but if there's a genuine interest, PM me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission