Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre removal

Liked 79 in 55 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Tyre removal

I'm going to have a go at renewing the valve in my front wheel as I suspect (hope) that is the cause of my slowly deflating tyre. Is removing the tyre as simple as it is with a pushbike tyre? i.e tyre levers (screwdrivers) and a bit of a fiddle?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,497 in 2,034 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tyre removal

The bit you might find difficult is breaking the bead. After that IME it's easy enough. And use proper tyre levers, not screwdrivers.

3. The following user liked this post made by cheb:

Liked 7,562 in 3,967 posts

I use a shovel top break tyhe beads. Then, yes, its the same as a bicycle tyre, but just harder as the tyre stronger in construction. The key is to work the levers at the edge furthest from you, whilst pushing the tyre bead into the rim well with your knees. For the second side I protect the wheel and bend the lever right over and then hit the tyre off with a rubber mallet, iyswim?

5. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,403 in 1,428 posts

I use my hands to break the bead and then a small tyre lever to get tyre off the rim, and I've hardly got gorilla hands.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,403 in 1,428 posts

Oops, thought you were trying yo get a bicycle tyre off.
    Yes breaking the bead on a motorcycle tyre is difficult, especially on a small wheel, I have a KTM tyre lever that works well.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Liked 718 in 411 posts

Before you go getting all sweaty get some water with a bit of fairy liquid in it and paint the tyre rims and round the valve any air leak will show up easily. If it is the valve as said a above use a spade to pop the bead. You need to jump on the spade If you pop one side a G cramp on the [protected rim edge and tyre will squish it enough to let you get to the valve. Cut the old valve off with a Stanley knife. If you have a metal dust cover smear a bit of lube grease around the new valve stem at the bottom put it through the hole stick a small spanner over the threads and screw on the metal dust cap give it a slight pull and set the new valve. Lube the bead, bit of soapy water will do bounce the wheel to seat the bead and blow it back up. The loud pop is a good thing. Leave valve core out when blowing it up to seat the bead then put the core in and blow up to pressure

9. The following user liked this post made by maccecht:

Liked 84 in 63 posts

As above on check first with water and fairy liquid ,plus the valve caps have a small seal in them so nick one off the other wheel or your car to try as they do leak if over used and tightened by gorilla hands

11. The following user liked this post made by mel:

Liked 4,740 in 2,960 posts
    Blog Entries

I also used the G-clamp method back in the day. If that didn't work, I'd chuck it in the car boot and head down to the local car tyre shop and drop them a few bob to break the bead.

13. The following user liked this post made by Yorick:

Liked 7,562 in 3,967 posts

Here's a good video and pretty much how I do it, albeit without the fancy levers! Dunno why he bothered with the rim protectors when he was dropping the irons on the wheel every time he moved them! Also, I'd never inflate a tyre with the valve core in. If you've got a tyre that's a bitch to get seated, you need as much air rushing in there as possible.

NB, when the tyre is off, clean the rim throughly especially round the rim as thats where old tyre residue gets left behind and causes slow punctures. Once your tyre is inflated, leave it on its side and drizzle soapy water round the rim and wait 5 minutes to see if you get fine bubbles that look like spit as they are the annoying slow punctures we all hate. If you do have these you can strike the tyre with a rubber/nylon mallet as close to the rim as you dare and often this will be enough to stop it. If not, its time to break the bead and try again.

15. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 79 in 55 posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. I've done the soapy water thing and spent ages looking for bubbles. I've dipped the whole thing in water and no clues as to where the leak is coming from. I had the new valve delivered today and was telling a bloke at work about it, he said he's got all the gear at home including levers, soapy tyre stuff, valve puller etc. and that he'll bring it all in on Monday next week, he says he's even got a tyre I can have. Result!

17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by mr nozzle:

Liked 2,061 in 1,050 posts
    Blog Entries

If it's tubeless it's likely to be quite hard to break the bead, so don't be in too much of a hurry to take the tyre off. You can easily damage the paint on the rim by heavy handed use of levers, in fact you can even damage the bead of the tyre which will make it leak. Frankly tubeless tyres are best left to the people with the machines to wazz them on and off quickly. Not only do they make it easy, they eliminate the risks of damaging tyre or wheel.

If it's tubed of course that's a different matter, I throw those things on and off all the time. Deflate the tyre, lay the wheel flat on an old bit of carpet and stand on the tyre to break the bead. Then using 2-3 levers work one bit off while you push the opposite side down into the well of the rim. The reverse is more easily done using a "bead buddy" (google it, it really makes things much easier!) and bead lube.

19. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Really Bored
    Liked 479 in 240 posts

You can replace the valve in the valve holder bit, you don't need to take the tyre off at all, it screws inside the bit that sticks out.

They unscrew - some metal valve caps have two little sticky up bits, turn the valve cover round and use them to unscrew the valve, get a new one and screw it in.

Halfords will sell you a metal valve cap with the sticky up bits and a new valve.

Liked 260 in 135 posts

What he said. It's almost always the valve core that leaks although the valve cap (with or without sticky up bits) should stop it.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 720 in 423 posts

It's not always the valve itself - the rubber can perish too.

I've recently had one complete valve failure (it snapped off as I was trying to put some air in after the front tyre suddenly lost pressure), a second that I discovered on the verge of failure with cracks in the rubber (I checked after the first incident, and immediately got replaced) and a third has some signs of cracking.

I suspect something aggressive in the bike cleaner I've been using. I've used Motul or HG's own cleaner for years but got some 'eco-friendly' stuff last year or the year before somewhere or other.

The other possibility is that the valves haven't been changed when the tyres have been replaced - the fitted saving about 15p.

23. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 2,150 in 1,293 posts

Yeah I had the entire rubber bit go too. Was checking it and it was split, opened up like it was hinged. A little bit scared of what may have happened if I'd been out on it at speed.

Mine was almost certainly exacerbated by a missed replacement when I fitted part worns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum