TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyre removal

Liked 1,125 in 667 posts

Default Re: Tyre removal

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    don't use fairy liquid, it's loaded with salt and you'll never get it all out, after a while it rots the rims. Proper tyre soap doesn't have the salt. Also, 16 or 17" rims with tubeless tyres can be an absolute bastard to break the bead on. I had a 160 section tyre with the sidewalls touching in the vice and it still wouldn't come off the bead. At that point I gave up and took it to a tyre outfit.

Liked 2,114 in 1,081 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I had a 160 section tyre with the sidewalls touching in the vice and it still wouldn't come off the bead.
    FWIW this can be a problem with aircraft radial tyres as well, they seat pretty solidly on the bead and when you try to squeeze them the sidewalls are so soft and the bead so solid they just roll without the bead moving. There are two common approaches, one is to lightly spray water and detergent on the bead seat so when the tyre rolls back it's on a slippery surface, the other is to put wedges behind the beads and work it off going round the wheel. Something you can only do with the proper equipment in the first place

3. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Liked 2,114 in 1,081 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    Yeah I had the entire rubber bit go too. Was checking it and it was split, opened up like it was hinged. A little bit scared of what may have happened if I'd been out on it at speed.

Mine was almost certainly exacerbated by a missed replacement when I fitted part worns.
    Had this happen on a Transit van, by sheer chance as I parked in a layby. Just as well as it was loaded with bikes and towing a caravan, in the middle of Germany, it wouldn't have been nice if that had happened on the autobahn.

The tyre shop where I took the wheel said it wasn't uncommon as the valves are quite long and they tend to nod. Anyhoo the rubber ends where they fit into the hub aren't designed to last forever. I always insist on new ones if I'm fitting car tyres as they stay on for a long time. It's worth just keeping and eye on bike ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission