Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 66 of 66

Thread: 100 Years of The Royal Air Force

  1. #61
    Should Get Out More Mussels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not in London
    Posts
    17,151
    Like
    1,204
    Liked 1,098 in 784 posts

    Default Re: 100 Years of The Royal Air Force

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    And how exactly does an unused pinch bar deteriorate ?
    There was probably no use for it anymore, I saw very old tools in the navy because newer versions sometimes weren't as good.
    I've also scavenged for parts on decommissioned ships because we couldn't get new bits, best breakers yard visit ever.

  2. #62
    Probably wrong... Yambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Looking at the Med . . .
    Posts
    15,725
    Like
    989
    Liked 3,181 in 1,596 posts
    Blog Entries
    23

    Default Re: 100 Years of The Royal Air Force

    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    All items have a use by date. Being what the military is, like it or not, things need gauranteed servicability and that includes disposing out of date items.

    I'm sure you are vastly more experienced than me but in my time as a Squadron Quartermaster I don't recall many items excepting compo rations and NBC kit that had a use by date.

    If an item could not perform the job it was designed for then it could be repaired or replaced but I can assure you that just about all equipment held on the AFG1098 was not subject to a shelf life.

    But as I said, you probably have more experience than me.

  3. #63
    Should Get Out More Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sausagechester
    Posts
    16,365
    Like
    147
    Liked 1,086 in 766 posts

    Default Re: 100 Years of The Royal Air Force

    Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    I'm sure you are vastly more experienced than me but in my time as a Squadron Quartermaster I don't recall many items excepting compo rations and NBC kit that had a use by date.

    If an item could not perform the job it was designed for then it could be repaired or replaced but I can assure you that just about all equipment held on the AFG1098 was not subject to a shelf life.

    But as I said, you probably have more experience than me.
    Indeed, as you're comparing RAF kit to non RAF kit.

    You're trying to argue agasint what actually happens. Plenty of kit gets moved on after time.

  4. #64
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    10,593
    Like
    433
    Liked 1,476 in 907 posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: 100 Years of The Royal Air Force

    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Material fatigue, stress, burrs. All items must be realiable.
    I think you'll struggle to get fatigue in something that's not been used

    More likely that things have been superseded before they ever got used. So while they might work just fine, the later versions of things replace them anyway to keep current.

  5. #65
    Probably wrong... Yambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Looking at the Med . . .
    Posts
    15,725
    Like
    989
    Liked 3,181 in 1,596 posts
    Blog Entries
    23

    Default Re: 100 Years of The Royal Air Force

    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Indeed, as you're comparing RAF kit to non RAF kit.

    Oh, sorry Ant, I must have got confused by your use of the word 'military'.

  6. The following user liked this post made by Yambo:


  7. #66
    Should Get Out More Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sausagechester
    Posts
    16,365
    Like
    147
    Liked 1,086 in 766 posts

    Default Re: 100 Years of The Royal Air Force

    Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    Oh, sorry Ant, I must have got confused by your use of the word 'military'.
    Apology accepted.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Go Back to Forum My Forum