TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it with paid gardeners?

Liked 1,508 in 875 posts

Default Re: What is it with paid gardeners?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Had to sack our cleaner recently, despite being told not to use any chemicals on the wooden worktops she used Cif cream which has marked them up.
    Has indemnity insurance but won't pay for the fix so got the boot. Short sightedness.

Liked 1,070 in 619 posts

We have two of them, hour or so a week, $100/month

Liked 2,585 in 1,875 posts

Sacked my Easter Europe cleaner also. Two hours to hoover the living room Bloody slovaks

4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by 1888:

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 3,624 in 1,800 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Sacked my Easter Europe cleaner also. Two hours to hoover the living room Bloody slovaks
    And I thought I was pushing it with the 'meat slicer' gag....

Liked 1,937 in 1,214 posts

A one off payment of 20 would buy you two packs of glyphosate. A good long term investment. No need to worry about employing a grass cutter or even worrying about overlong grass. Just one bottle would last for years. It would also solve any weed problems.

Liked 2,585 in 1,875 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    And I thought I was pushing it with the 'meat slicer' gag....
    Save some money. Water your lawn but put cheap Aldi lager in the water. It will do sod all for the grass appearance but at least it will be half cut

Liked 1,862 in 1,146 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    We have two of them, hour or so a week, $100/month
    Are they Mexican?

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,260 in 1,482 posts

No complaints with our gardener 16 a fortnight and two of them turn up every time to do lawns, trim bushes etc...no idea how they make money but the service is great so I don’t ask

Liked 1,070 in 619 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Are they Mexican?
    No idea, never asked them.

Liked 3,326 in 1,670 posts
    Blog Entries

I spoke to Zeynep the other day about her cleaning my house. She has a reputation as an excellent cleaner but now works in the local chemist's so her time for cleaning work is restricted. However she was happy to take on the extra job and asked when I wanted her to start - "I can only do Sundays" she said. I told her that at the moment my house was in the process of being turned back from a workshop into a house and I couldn't afford her with the work involved. My family are here in August so I suggested that after they leave would be a good time.

So in around 7 weeks I'll have someone to do my cleaning. I guess I'll have to change some of my ways if I want her to continue but that's probably a good thing.

Liked 1,686 in 857 posts

My experience (having got through several lots of cleaners over the past two years) is that some people choose to be cleaners, gardeners, etc. because they're self-motivated, methodical, understand what they do and like the freedom of being their own boss, and other people do it because they're sick and tired of having to work under "arsehole" bosses and work to someone else's timescales, and think that because other people can make a living out of cleaning, gardening etc, they can too, but they can't grasp the fact that jobs like cleaning houses and mowing lawns require a methodical approach and an understanding of the job at hand. And when they can't keep to the timescales they agree with their clients, can't do the job properly, can't pick up the bloody phone, and can't understand why not picking up the phone is a problem, they inevitably bleat like an sick sheep when they can't keep a contract for more than a few weeks, and continue to believe that everybody else is the problem.

We've had some good cleaners and some awful ones.

We've also had cleaners who are so dedicated to their job that they fold the end of the toilet roll into little napkin shapes. I'm not quite sure how much of my monthly cleaning budget pays for that but TBH I'd rather pay a quid less and have bog standard bogroll ends like every bugger else. I'm only going to wipe my arse with it. Those foldy pointed ends are quite sharp, I'll have you know.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 3,624 in 1,800 posts

Well, bloke who has cards in the local newsagents advertising his garden maintenance business came around last night to take a look. He explained to me what he thought needed doing on a fortnightly basis. We discussed how the bamboo should be thinned out to promote thicker culms, what to do about the broad-leaf lime suckers and trimming back the cordyline plants. Seemed to know his stuff, told me that he does two hour minimum (suits me) and can come around to Wednesday morning, then every other Wednesday, but will let me know if it gonna change.

Sounds like he's on the ball and at 15 p/h cheaper than the last bloke. His only caveat was to be paid in cash. His tax arrangements are no business of mine, so fair enough.

Liked 1,862 in 1,146 posts
    Blog Entries

What's that expression? "First world problems" .

15. The following user liked this post made by Pax:

Liked 1,180 in 834 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    His tax arrangements are no business of mine, so fair enough.
    I'm not sure that's true anymore.

Liked 5,552 in 2,891 posts

I've had the same, proper workshy lazy bastards....not to put too finer point on it.

I wanted some fencing doing, two separate blokes/firms came and looked, said they would start on Monday, both let me down one after the other.
    Then one bloke said he could do it straight away but wanted 500, so I felt like I didn't have much choice and agreed - then he never came back.

In the end I did it myself with Mrs Iccy passing the tools, cost me 170 in timber/bits and it took us 6hrs, started at 1pm and we were done by 7pm - and I'm a desk jockey with baby soft hands and had to keep stopping to rest my glass back.

If I was on the dole I'd do a leaflet drop and I bet I'd piss a grand a week just doing bits and pieces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission