Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 151 to 158 of 158

Thread: Trump. Again. Can he not help himself?

  1. #151
    A Bit Bored jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    248
    Like
    85
    Liked 76 in 50 posts

    Default Re: Trump. Again. Can he not help himself?


  2. The following user liked this post made by jane:


  3. #152
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    18,480
    Like
    1,772
    Liked 2,386 in 1,571 posts

    Default Re: Trump. Again. Can he not help himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by jane View Post
    Interesting how the spin is applied.

    I read the first few, them skimmed the rest. Couldn't find the 'Trump lied about the inauguration attendance one

    Pics & background:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-the-evidence

    Claims, e.g.
    President Donald Trump claimed the media had misrepresented the number of people attending his inauguration. Trump spoke at CIA headquarters and said that “one of the networks” had shown “an empty field,” while he saw a crowd that “looked like a million-and-a-half people” and “went all the way back to the Washington Monument.”

    Trump claimed that “we caught [the media] in a beauty, and I think they’re going to pay a big price.”



    Edit: Did you follow the link to his book, then read the full title?

    Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter

  4. #153
    A Bit Bored jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    248
    Like
    85
    Liked 76 in 50 posts

    Default Re: Trump. Again. Can he not help himself?

    the clusterfuck over spicer's comments really hit home to me how stupid and desperate the press are. have facts ever really mattered? the press has always been the state's propaganda wing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcpcytUnWU

    https://www.unz.com/isteve/scott-dil...es-techniques/

  5. #154
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    18,480
    Like
    1,772
    Liked 2,386 in 1,571 posts

    Default Re: Trump. Again. Can he not help himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by jane View Post
    the clusterfuck over spicer's comments really hit home to me how stupid and desperate the press are. have facts ever really mattered? the press has always been the state's propaganda wing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcpcytUnWU

    https://www.unz.com/isteve/scott-dil...es-techniques/
    If facts don't matter, what do you propose as a reliable alternative? And do you consider that system to be just for politics, or transferable to other fields - healthcare research for instance?

  6. #155
    A Bit Bored jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    248
    Like
    85
    Liked 76 in 50 posts

    Default Re: Trump. Again. Can he not help himself?

    "In this new landscape, knowledge will be defined as knowledge for the market. The market itself will be re-imagined as the primary mechanism for the validation of truth."
    the whole nightmare scenario sounds pretty good to me: https://mg.co.za/article/2016-12-22-...ism-is-ending/

    as for scientific knowledge, that is - almost by defintion, apolitical.

    apologies if i seem a bit rabid on occasion, for the most part it's self disgust at having fallen for this shit for so long
    Last edited by jane; Today at 11:06.

  7. #156
    Should Get Out More slowsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    RoI
    Posts
    7,070
    Like
    282
    Liked 1,480 in 980 posts

    Default Re: Trump. Again. Can he not help himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by jane View Post

    as for scientific knowledge, that is - almost by defintion, apolitical.
    Scientific 'knowledge'.
    https://www.wired.com/story/sciences...al-ammunition/

  8. #157
    Should Get Out More Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sausagechester
    Posts
    16,339
    Like
    147
    Liked 1,085 in 765 posts

    Default Re: Trump. Again. Can he not help himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Not my problem if you cannot clearly and convincingly explain your point of view, and the error of my ways.
    I did in a way explain my view.

    I'd already said, I don't understand the need and the time spent when most other people have better things to do.

    I'd already asked with no answer what are the desired outcomes, what is the objective?

  9. #158
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    18,480
    Like
    1,772
    Liked 2,386 in 1,571 posts

    Default Re: Trump. Again. Can he not help himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by jane View Post
    "In this new landscape, knowledge will be defined as knowledge for the market. The market itself will be re-imagined as the primary mechanism for the validation of truth."
    the whole nightmare scenario sounds pretty good to me: https://mg.co.za/article/2016-12-22-...ism-is-ending/

    as for scientific knowledge, that is - almost by defintion, apolitical.

    apologies if i seem a bit rabid on occasion, for the most part it's self disgust at having fallen for this shit for so long
    Knowledge that's not factual is just imagination or lies (whether delusional or deliberate). If you are restricting that 'new view' of knowledge to non-scientific areas, what happens when the two collide - fossil fuels and policies, for example?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Go Back to Forum My Forum