TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tour de France question (not necessarily just for cyclists!)

Liked 2,544 in 1,664 posts

Default Re: Tour de France question (not necessarily just for cyclists!)

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    Pick a nice location. I watched it go through Dartford and it took the shine off a bit.
    Pick a tight corner, they'll slow a bit so you might get to see something!

Liked 2,760 in 1,372 posts

Thanx all. My friend has chosen mountain bit, so now its just to find a good spot, nearish a corner probably!! LOL Will let you know how it goes

3. The following user liked this post made by Noggin:

Liked 1,752 in 1,128 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    Thanx all. My friend has chosen mountain bit, so now its just to find a good spot, nearish a corner probably!! LOL Will let you know how it goes
    Wave at the camera moto

5. The following user liked this post made by slowsider:

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Wave at the camera moto
    Ok

Liked 1,177 in 832 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Wave at the camera moto
    And film it crashing into something.

8. The following user liked this post made by Mussels:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 729 in 430 posts

Get there earlier than a very early thing. If it's a popular stage (ie a big climb) it WILL be busy. The crowds on the big stages are now incredible... on the really popular mountain stages there are loads of people out at first light and campers are there the night (sometimes days) before. And take plenty of liquid. You can be out in the sun for hours. If you're towards the end of the stage, the final riders can be 30-40 minutes behind, and the roads won't open till they've gone past.

If you can, get somewhere you can see a way down the road. They won't be going quite as quick on the climbs as they are on the flat (although their speed will really surprise you) but if you can get a long view you can see them coming - binoculars can help. But

Try to get some height where you can look down at the road. If you stand at the side of the road, everybody else just edges forward to see round the next person who's doing the same... what happens eventually is that the riders are going through a motorbike-sized gap and you still can't see anything.

Be careful taking photos from the roadside too... people regularly get hit by the motorcycles trying to see the cyclists. I nearly got collected myself, and I was on the pavement!

10. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 4,797 in 3,002 posts
    Blog Entries

It was good when it started in Yorikshire

Liked 902 in 381 posts

Like SL says, for live you're best on a long hill where it slows them down. The start can be good as you can mingle with the riders. In France it is a good idea to go on a bike for several reasons. You get through the crowds much easier, especially afterwards when thousands are walking back to their cars etc. . Also, the roads are closed but they'll usually wave cyclists through as long as the race is not due very soon. We went in the Pyrenees and the gendarmes stopped us at the barrier at the bottom of the pass ,so my mate Maurice , who was properly fluent in French having lived there for years, let rip at them to the effect of, What?!! We have come all the way from England to see this and you are stopping us now! Let us through right now! good sirs! Plus a few choice swear words of course. Their jaws dropped at this Rosbif swearing at them so fluently! , They apologised, doffed their caps and waved us through. so we then got a choice spot on the pass as the riders came through. On a bicycle you are a king of the road in France especially at he time of Le Tour!
    If you are at Bourgd'Oisans and going up the Alpe, allow two to three hours to get up there and find a place. If it is a hot day, the side of Alpe d'Huez is a heat trap, so be prepared for that! Going down the Alpe in crowds is tricky, even at under 10mph. Don't touch your rims at the bottom unless you ant blisters! Don't ask me how I know that this is a daft idea!

Good luck, I'm jealous but I've seen it several times in the mountains and in the UK now!

13. The following user liked this post made by hawker:

Should Get Out More Londongal76's Avatar
    Liked 1,251 in 731 posts
    Blog Entries

defo on the route. Take drinks and snacks, camping chairs, suncream, shade of some sort and colourful wigs. They will close the roads a couple of hours before, mountains are ace to watch. Grab all the freebies from the caravan as it goes past!

15. The following user liked this post made by Londongal76:

Quote Originally Posted by hawker View Post
    Like SL says, for live you're best on a long hill where it slows them down. The start can be good as you can mingle with the riders. In France it is a good idea to go on a bike for several reasons. You get through the crowds much easier, especially afterwards when thousands are walking back to their cars etc. . Also, the roads are closed but they'll usually wave cyclists through as long as the race is not due very soon. We went in the Pyrenees and the gendarmes stopped us at the barrier at the bottom of the pass ,so my mate Maurice , who was properly fluent in French having lived there for years, let rip at them to the effect of, What?!! We have come all the way from England to see this and you are stopping us now! Let us through right now! good sirs! Plus a few choice swear words of course. Their jaws dropped at this Rosbif swearing at them so fluently! , They apologised, doffed their caps and waved us through. so we then got a choice spot on the pass as the riders came through. On a bicycle you are a king of the road in France especially at he time of Le Tour!
    If you are at Bourgd'Oisans and going up the Alpe, allow two to three hours to get up there and find a place. If it is a hot day, the side of Alpe d'Huez is a heat trap, so be prepared for that! Going down the Alpe in crowds is tricky, even at under 10mph. Don't touch your rims at the bottom unless you ant blisters! Don't ask me how I know that this is a daft idea!

Good luck, I'm jealous but I've seen it several times in the mountains and in the UK now!

It'll be the end of the 11th stage (The riders start in Albertville to tackle Montée de Bisanne, Col du Pré and Cormet de Roselend as intermediate climbs. The final ascent to La Rosière is 17.6 kilometres at 5.8%. Expect fireworks to ignite!)

and the start of the 12th (Travelling from Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Alpe d'Huez, the 12th stage of theTour de France amounts to 175.5 kilometres. With the haute catégorie giants Col de la Madeleine and Col de la Croix de Fer as intermediate climbs), so won't be as far as Alpe d'Huez!!

I'd kind of like to cycle a little way to the N90 just after the start, but I've not actually tried cycling yet, and definitely don't think hills are in order! LOL So would have to drive relatively close. If I get up at the crack of dawn, I could probably park in the carpark of a supermarket just out of the village and walk to get a view!! Hopefully! LOL

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Canet Plage (summer)
    Liked 1,123 in 659 posts

Can't live so close and not go and watch!!
    A few years ago the route went passed the end of the road my parents live on. My parents have never had any interest in bike racing but went to watch because they could. I think they quite enjoyed it !

18. The following user liked this post made by Jody:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission