Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Assisted dying

Liked 1,480 in 980 posts

Default Re: Assisted dying

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    I really do not see why other peoples views, securely held or not, should be allowed to prolong my life.
    Lots of heartfelt opinions in this thread. FWIW I think that for many people the concern is that it may be the thin end of the wedge whereby other people's views are allowed to shorten your life, or that of others who may be deemed to be of no utility.

2. The following user liked this post made by slowsider:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,200 in 1,517 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Lots of heartfelt opinions in this thread. FWIW I think that for many people the concern is that it may be the thin end of the wedge whereby other people's views are allowed to shorten your life, or that of others who may be deemed to be of no utility.
    I trust my family (or at least the ones I have appointed as Attorneys) not to off me prematurely.

Liked 3,181 in 1,596 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    Having watched my mum die of cancer a few months ago, for me the consequences of not being able to help her on her way to an inevitable, and painful death were far worse.

My sincere condolences on your loss Hoonercat.

I'm just a little bit interested in how you know that your feelings were 'far worse' for not being able to help her. Were your feelings after helping someone end their life minimal?

Liked 1,007 in 666 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    In all of this discussion nobody is talking about the person that actually causes the death. Do you really think they want to?
    I'm sure that they would much rather not be in the position to have to 'cause' the death, as you put it. I'm pretty sure that for vets, the worst part of their job is administering the lethal injection to treasured family pets.

Well, actually, no. I'm pretty sure that there is a worse part, keeping treasured family pets alive when they are clearly in pain and suffering because the family won't let go and the vet can't call it. I've spoken to enough vets providing end of life care to my pets that I can be pretty sure of that one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum