TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bike Thread

Liked 1,600 in 707 posts

Default Re: New Bike Thread

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    If you don't get on the MV and absolutely love it then it's very broken, or you're clinically dead from the neck up.

The problem comes in 6 months, when you know that every time you're going to go out on it you're going to (at least try) to rag the absolute bollocks off it and sooner or later you'll get banned, or deaded.
    Then you start to ride more sensibly, and then the MV doesn't make much sense and/or gets a bit boring.
    Imagine in character it's exactly like a 1980's two-stroke, but the roads and courts now have 2018's policing methods.

They genuinely are way more than their parts, if bikes really do have hearts/souls then MV's have the biggest and without doubt they have the biggest bollocks.
    I love mine like a brother - but the type of brother that will certainly get me put in jail if I don't stop going out on the piss with him.

I'm going to collect mine tomorrow and apparently there is a bloke that wants to buy it.
    If he is actually serious then I know I'll probably take his money and I know beyond any doubt that I'll regret it for the rest of my life.
    I liked your post, but feel I need to qualify my like as it sounds a bit glass half full / over-dramatic to me, I think I understand your POV, but it's definitely not quite how I see it

I guess it is probably worse in some ways in the north of England / North Wales as there are definitely more bikes and " bikers" on the roads , and police/camera presence but its time and place IMO- every time I have gone out on either of my MTs (or pretty much any other fast modern bike ) over the last xx years whether in my neck of the woods or anywhere else in the UK or further afield, I have ragged the arse off it in at least the first 4 or 5 gears, and I honestly can't remember a single ride on either MT particularly where the front wheel has stayed on the ground the whole ride- seriously, I'm not trying to sound big or clever, but riding fast and/or interesting (to me) bikes it is massive fun for me, it's one of my top two most favourite ways of passing time and has not got boring yet .

Time and place obviously- I don't do it through 30s or places that I know or think are big risk either in terms of getting nicked or deading me or others, but I can honestly say the police/camera stuff hasn't yet got me down, or that riding modern bikes have got boring for me yet.
    I know I have undoubtedly had my fair share of luck, and chances are that will run out at some point, particularly with the increase in the use of dashcams and dull self-righteous people who don't think going fast/ overtaking/doing wheelies etc is big or clever, and waste their time on this earth doing sad things like reporting it but, well, bollocks, I love it.

Having said that, its not all just about tearing about for me either though, I also love plodding around enjoying the view too, generally on older bikes, and I think we probably agree on this bit at least- some bikes are massively more fun for doing that on than others, and the others are typically the faster more capable bikes like your MV that significantly increase your chances of getting into serious bother.

And fingers crossed with your potential MV buyer- don't regret flogging it - there will always be another one if you want it, and its fun buying (or even nearly buying- as couchie knows far far better than any of us ) more bikes

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

Liked 6,143 in 3,177 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    I liked your post, but feel I need to qualify my like as it sounds a bit glass half full / over-dramatic to me, I think I understand your POV, but it's definitely not quite how I see it

I guess it is probably worse in some ways in the north of England / North Wales as there are definitely more bikes and " bikers" on the roads , and police/camera presence but its time and place IMO- every time I have gone out on either of my MTs (or pretty much any other fast modern bike ) over the last xx years whether in my neck of the woods or anywhere else in the UK or further afield, I have ragged the arse off it in at least the first 4 or 5 gears, and I honestly can't remember a single ride on either MT particularly where the front wheel has stayed on the ground the whole ride- seriously, I'm not trying to sound big or clever, but riding fast and/or interesting (to me) bikes it is massive fun for me, it's one of my top two most favourite ways of passing time and has not got boring yet .

Time and place obviously- I don't do it through 30s or places that I know or think are big risk either in terms of getting nicked or deading me or others, but I can honestly say the police/camera stuff hasn't yet got me down, or that riding modern bikes have got boring for me yet.
    I know I have undoubtedly had my fair share of luck, and chances are that will run out at some point, particularly with the increase in the use of dashcams and dull self-righteous people who don't think going fast/ overtaking/doing wheelies etc is big or clever, and waste their time on this earth doing sad things like reporting it but, well, bollocks, I love it.

Having said that, its not all just about tearing about for me either though, I also love plodding around enjoying the view too, generally on older bikes, and I think we probably agree on this bit at least- some bikes are massively more fun for doing that on than others, and the others are typically the faster more capable bikes like your MV that significantly increase your chances of getting into serious bother.

And fingers crossed with your potential MV buyer- don't regret flogging it - there will always be another one if you want it, and its fun buying (or even nearly buying- as couchie knows far far better than any of us ) more bikes
    I would have typed something similar to that ^ just over a year ago, then getting done for speeding on an empty dual carriageway reminded me that they're out there and waiting for that one chance when you're not quite as switched on as you usually are.
    Six points and a grand fine, plus the added bonus that I only need one more like that at any point in the next four years and I'm banned - not a problem for me now too much, but if I was working in the UK then there goes my livelihood.

I've was in the UK for most of July and there were several moments where my eyes were flicking from the speedo, to the road, to the speedo, to the hedgerow (looking for hiding camera vans), to the speedo, to the road....etc - just in case one of those twats was hiding somewhere and does me for +4mph over the limit and then I'm at 9 points.
    I just thought "This is bloody dangerous".

When I announce that I'm going out for a ride my missus instantly asks "Which bike are you going on?" and if it's the Rudge then she smiles and carries on. If it's any of the other bikes then I get a short lecture about my licence and H&S.

I just don't feel that modern motorcycles are welcome on todays public roads.

Liked 1,600 in 707 posts

Fair dos, and I accept I might feel different in your position, and likely will if/when that comes, but there are still some fabulous places to ride in the UK- my jolly boys outing from home down south up to the Highlands and back in June just brought it home to me again, although a fair amount of the main roads in North Wales, and Scotland are (IMO) over policed/ regulated in terms of average speed, ad-hoc speed traps etc, and we stayed off them except when there wasn't an alternative, there are some places that are just the most fabulous playgrounds if you have a modern bike.

Im thinking particularly Northumbria, some of North Yorks and the most of the Highlands.
    Roads , admittedly typically not large ones, but decent surfaces and we barely saw another vehicle, let alone police presence on a lot of them.

Stuff like these ones are just brilliant IMO.

5. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Yep, that's why I stay in the Trough/Forest of Bowland now, it's all moors and 40-50mph is pushing it in most places.
    The scenery is amazing, there are no plod, a few villages scattered about (where I drop to 20mph) and then just really nice roads.

North Yorkshire and North Wales plod are just tossers when it comes to policing the roads.

Liked 1,736 in 1,024 posts

Two Words.

Bloody Awesome!

More to follow once my brain catches up with my body.

8. The following 7 users liked this useful post by Claude:

Ok.
    So dropped the D off.
    Time was against me so I had to forego my idea of test riding first. Sorted the paperwork and VED out and paid the balance.
    Set off from the shop and the first thing that struck me was how smooth it was, certainly compared to the old tractor...
    Opened up the throttle and tried to snick it into 2nd using the qs. My god thatís stiff... somethings not right... I whipped through the settings and found that quickshifter was Ďoffí. Turned it on, thatís better lol.
    The route home took me through 30 and 40 zones with lots of cameras, itís more than happy pootling at this speed in 4th though and affords me some time to play through the menu. The 30/40ís eventually bring me out onto the derestricted Leek to Macclesfield road. Itís a road I know fairly well so can open her up and give it some.
    Wow.
    The noise is intoxicating it screams at the higher revs and burbles and pops on the overrun. The qs is addictive, holding the throttle open and feeding it gears. No need for a noisy exhaust thatís for sure. The blipper seems better than the KTM, I canít quantify how or even why but it just seems to be Ďbetterí.

I think the bhp probably is too much for the road especially nailing it through the box but it does seem happy at a more relaxed pace as well and I like that itís got the performance waiting for you on tap when you want it.

All in Iím ridiculously happy with it, I want to go and ride right now and have no doubt, (weather pending) that Iíll use it next week.

More pics to follow..

10. The following 14 users liked this useful post by Claude:

+ Show/Hide list of likes

Default New Bike Thread

Last edited by Claude; 07-08-18 at 05:52.

Sounds like you had it in normal mode.
    Its a pussycat in normal and you can pootle through town no problem - although like you say you do have plenty of power on tap if you need to twist the throttle.

Put it it in Sport/Race and it’s a snarling animal.
    It hunts and snarls on the throttle and it’s definitely not smooth, but it doesn’t half shift.

Once you’ve owned something like this though it ruins you for other bikes because there isn’t much else that will match up to it.

When there are about a dozen of us all out on MVs in race mode it sounds like an orchestra of demons coming around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    Sounds like you had it in normal mode.
    Its a pussycat in normal and you can pootle through town no problem - although like you say you do have plenty of power on tap if you need to twist the throttle.

Put it it in Sport/Race and itís a snarling animal.
    It hunts and snarls on the throttle and itís definitely not smooth, but it doesnít half shift.
    Deffo In sport mode. I guess I have a smooth right hand

15. The following user liked this post made by Claude:

Liked 10,514 in 6,021 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Deffo In sport mode. I guess I have a smooth right hand
    So many things... so so many.... I may explode !

17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

So, I dunno what bike I rode yesterday but it sure as shit isn't the same one that's in the garage this morning.
    I don't know how I achieved smooth yesterday but it's the last thing I'd describe it as today, lurching all over I dropped it into normal mode which did improve things.
    It just wants to rev which takes you to naughty places very, very easily.
    Wearing bike jeans rather than leathers the tank grip is reduced massively so back to leathers.
    It's a thing of beauty though and the ride is certainly exhilarating! Everything Iccy posted is pretty much spot on.

20. The following 9 users liked this useful post by Claude:

@weeksy new black backed plate on order

Liked 10,484 in 5,478 posts

That bike is so fecking pretty I might even have to own one one day. It can be ridden like a wuss right?

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission