Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Some Thoughts on IAM

Liked 1,606 in 812 posts

Default Re: Some Thoughts on IAM

Quote Originally Posted by 1913 View Post
    now we get the h&s style brief stating no speeding
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Should've told the sarcastic twat to fuck off and stick his IAM up his RS
    TBH this was probably most of it. It had been drummed in to me by my observer not to speed on the test.

A few months previous I'd been on an observed Bikesafe ride with a serving bike cop. I broke the limit (by some margin) where I felt it was safe to do so, on the basis that I wanted an accurate review of my riding and not just the riding I'd choose to show to a bike cope. I accepted there was a possibility I could have had the ride cancelled, been given a stern talking to or even reported for speeding, but figured it was worth the risk since a) the observer seemed to have a healthy attitude towards progressive riding and 2) I don't habitually speed everywhere, just in those places where I can't see any valid reason not to. It wasn't even mentioned during the verbal review.

As a side-story, there was another guy on the ride, who got his observed ride on the way out (mine was on the way back). During his review, he confessed that he was actually also a serving bike cop (the observer noted his style and asked where he'd been trained), and that he was basically out on a bit of a refresher before taking the IAM Masters test no pressure on my ride back, then

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    observed rides were usually cancelled if rain was forecast
    I was told mine would only be cancelled in extreme weather. TBH, an advanced rider might question the sense in riding in extreme weather anyway. I think we avoided rain by chance during the observed rides, but the day of my test dawned seriously chilly, so I had a last-minute change from summer to winter jacket, and discovered on the way to the test location that it no longer fit me properly Then mid-test we hit a torrential downpour. The sort that comes down so heavy the water runs down the inside of the visor. I figured it would show a healthy sense of self-preservation to back off during this deluge (we were atop the spine of a hill on an NSL road) but apparently I should have kept at 60, not slowed to 50.

At the end of the hill is a very steep descent with several switchbacks. I remembered an observation about using the gearbox instead of the brakes to descent, however the rain was heavy enough that the brakes gave me a grand total of naff all. I figured a long steep descent was a good place to clean and warm them, so I descended with some light braking at both ends. That apparently wasn't the right thing to do, either (although I don't think I was believed when I said I was just drying the brakes )

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    As they can from any open topped wagon or unsafe load.
    Or, indeed, from the back of a motorcycle. I once got home to find I was missing an unopened litre tin of fibreglass resin from under a cargo net. That's a heavy thing to have bounce off your front forks, and it'll leave a reet slippery slick on the tarmac if it splits...

Liked 244 in 131 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Ax View Post

I was told mine would only be cancelled in extreme weather.......apparently I should have kept at 60, not slowed to 50.
    When I did my test I was wearing an open faced helmet with goggles (I've since graduated to a visor). The examiner was amused to point out in the debrief that when it started hailing my speed dropped by about 10 mph although TBH I was oblivious to this. It was the pain that did it.

Liked 244 in 131 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Ax View Post

At the end of the hill is a very steep descent with several switchbacks. I remembered an observation about using the gearbox instead of the brakes to descent
    Surely they've stopped saying this? It's been gears to go, brakes to slow as long as I can remember.

Liked 1,606 in 812 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Surely they've stopped saying this? It's been gears to go, brakes to slow as long as I can remember.
    I think his suggestion was that having slowed down with the brakes, I should have been able to negotiate the descent without them. Showing brake lights from top to bottom suggested I was nervous of the off-camber corners (TBH it's a bit scary if you're not a confident rider). Although I've always tended to use a bit of rear brake when I'm using engine braking, as a warning to the vehicle behind that I am actually braking and that they might at some point in the not-too-distant future consider the same.

On a slightly different note, I'm never really quite sure where I stand on braking. I remember when doing a cycling proficiency test (is that still even a thing?) when I were but a young boy, and my tester (who was about 12) advised me always to ride with two fingers on both levers in case I needed to stop suddenly. That's something that stuck with me all through my childhood cycling years, through CBT and college moped commutes, and later through DAS. I think I made it almost as far as my first IAM observed rides before reading something on The Other Place (probably posted by Spin) about fingers on the brake lever being a cause for sudden, sharp braking. The time it takes for the reptilian brain to get the fingers from bar to lever gives the primate brain time to realise that a fistful of brake would perhaps not be the best idea right now. Or something like that.

Liked 2,444 in 1,607 posts

Engine Vs brakes? Use whatever is appropriate! Daft to ignore the most effective and efficient method.

As for having fingers on the lever, I've heard both sides: you will grab without thought if they're there, and if they're not. I did Google 'grab reflex' a few days ago, but could only find 'startle' for infants. I'll have another look sometime. FWIW I am with the fingers on lever side, as part of preparation/preparedness.

However . . . part of my anti-inflammatory for regular trail braking into bends is a concern that an unexpected event might lead to over-braking.

So I'm arguing against myself

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,414 in 1,991 posts
    Blog Entries

I've probably got my fingers on the clutch of my bikes, just in case they decide to do engine breaking themselves.

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by cheb:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Go Back to Forum My Forum