TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts on IAM

Should Get Out More
    Liked 754 in 443 posts

Default Re: Some Thoughts on IAM

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    15mph! Forgot to say anything below 50mph counts as filtering right?

Filtering = no rulez

Really Bored
    Liked 355 in 234 posts

Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    I don't use this manoeuvre (much). WRT IAM - If you can overtake safely from your standard position (2 seconds back) then you should do? (unless I've missed something)

If the road is clear and you decide to close up, and hang around on the bumper of the car, it's not 'advanced' - just shit obs.
    Two reasons occur to me as to why it might make sense to move up first:
    1. You should get a better view to the left hand side of the road past the vehicle you're about to overtake, just before you commit, maybe spotting a side road or road sign, for example, enabling you to judge not to do it. If you've committed from two seconds back you might be going too fast when you see them?
    2. On a twisty road your view of the road ahead from two seconds back might be quite different from the one you get at one second. So again you might commit without having the best view.

I appreciate you might not have 'committed' from 2 seconds back and could abort at one second, but in a way you're just doing the bungee but from the offside then, aren't you?

Liked 985 in 831 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    1. You should get a better view to the left hand side of the road past the vehicle you're about to overtake, just before you commit, maybe spotting a side road or road sign, for example, enabling you to judge not to do it. If you've committed from two seconds back you might be going too fast when you see them?
    2. On a twisty road your view of the road ahead from two seconds back might be quite different from the one you get at one second. So again you might commit without having the best view.

I appreciate you might not have 'committed' from 2 seconds back and could abort at one second, but in a way you're just doing the bungee but from the offside then, aren't you?
    Personally I'm quite happy to move around a bit to explore the 'view' side of things. I keep exploring the view as I'm approaching the car, ready to abort if needed. I just don't tend to get that close to cars these days (filtering aside). Perhaps a lot comes down to riding local roads, so I know O/T spots well in advance.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 155 in 85 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    .... you move up to check......
    Yes, but why would you “move up” to check? Why not do it from where you are, i.e. 2 secs back? Better view, more space to adjust position without putting yourself in an awkward place etc.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 155 in 85 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post

I’m not sure of any circumstance where you get a better view by being closer to the vehicle you’re following. A slightly different view, granted, but both positions, 1 sec and 2 secs back, have their blind spots. Better?

Liked 1,746 in 885 posts

Similar experience on my IAM test TBH. I scraped a pass, but the review from the tester (an ex bike cope IIRC) was "your riding's not going to set the world on fire, is it?"

At one point we'd just turned right from a major into a minor. It should have been a good chance to enjoy a nice twisty road, but ahead of me was a small car, and head of that was an artic. As we came out of the turn I checked my mirror and saw the examiner sitting way right of the white line, where he stayed.

I just shrugged and stayed where I was. I knew I could pass the car in front but there wasn't much room to pull in between car and lorry, and there was no way I was going to pass the artic as well in the room I had left. Then I'd have a long and slow ride with an artic blocking my view ahead and a disgruntled car driver behind me, which seemed a bit pointless.

After the ride the examiner told me I could have passed both car and lorry before we hit the next bend. Which, yes, I probably could have done, if I'd utterly banzai'd it, but the artic didn't offer me any view at all of what I'd find on the left, and I was reasonably sure I'd spotted some driveways on that side of the road.

I dunno, maybe if I'd entered the turn in the overtake position (as the examiner had done) I would have had a better view to pass, but that manoeuvre had never been explained to me on any of my observed rides and felt to me like exactly the kind of thing a copper would nick me for if he caught me doing it...

7. The following user liked this post made by Mad Ax:

Liked 384 in 243 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wossname View Post
    The "3 stage overtake", as the IAM describes it, begins with closing in on the vehicle you're following, reducing your (minimum) gap from 2 secs to about 1. This advice has always puzzled me. You reduce your view, risk upsetting the driver in front - cue brake lights, which causes another problem - who was probably quite happy with your presence before, and have to make more extreme changes of direction to achieve the o/t. All to save 1 sec on the o/t duration, presumably thus making a marginal move into a safe one. Why not simply maintain your 2 secs, move out, check views etc without intimidating the driver you're following and squirt straight past. What am I missing?
    I'll just stick with being an average rider I think. Unless I come across somebody who is doing 10mph or more below the limit I very rarely overtake anyway, and there's no way on God's green earth that I'd ever get as close as 1 second behind the vehicle in front under any circumstances, as I'm pretty keen on being able to stop in time if the vehicle in front of me does anything unexpected.

9. The following user liked this post made by CrazyFrog:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,650 in 1,587 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Ax View Post
    Similar experience on my IAM test TBH. I scraped a pass, but the review from the tester (an ex bike cope IIRC) was "your riding's not going to set the world on fire, is it?"
    Should've told the sarcastic twat to fuck off and stick his IAM up his RS

Liked 4,979 in 3,112 posts
    Blog Entries

It's all namby pamby bollox. Hard in. Knee down. Wheelie out. Look good

12. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Yorick:

Liked 384 in 243 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    It's all namby pamby bollox. Hard in. Knee down. Wheelie out. Look good
    Yeah, put Dougie Lampkin on a Fireblade and I'm sure he'd be able to ride straight over the top of the car infront, even if it was doing 70. No worries about checking to see if anything is coming the other way either, just straight over the dop, and then drop down infront of the bugger. It's the only way to ride....

14. The following 2 users liked this useful post by CrazyFrog:

Liked 4,979 in 3,112 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    Yeah, put Dougie Lampkin on a Fireblade and I'm sure he'd be able to ride straight over the top of the car infront, even if it was doing 70. No worries about checking to see if anything is coming the other way either, just straight over the dop, and then drop down infront of the bugger. It's the only way to ride....
    Another Bradford lad

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,338 in 852 posts

I never got over my prejudice against the IAM when, at my first encounter with an observer from the local group, I was told that my 400/4 wasn't fast enough for them. How many miles an hour above the speed limit must they go on their observed runs and test? I didn't get a reply to that question.

I didn't improve my opinion when a work colleague who joined told me that his observed rides were usually cancelled if rain was forecast, and they didn't have them during winter months because of the short daylight hours. I accept that candidates can pass standard tests without encountering any adverse conditions but surely to be an advanced rider they should have part of their assessment in bad weather or darkness? Either that or their test pass should be like getting a daylight MOT, ie they're only advanced fair weather riders. Maybe this is addressed these days.

I will say, at that time, the chief bod at the group whom I met later, wasn't so scathing but said my midget gem Super Sport may struggle with the speed of their leisure rides. I didn't doubt it, having followed him riding his Pan European from a meeting of a club we both attended. His bike seemed to flow effortlessly around the bends but at no time did he go off and leave me in the dark. Good rear obs, obviously. I'm sure if he'd cranked up the speed, he'd look just as good for the short time I would have been close enough to see.

17. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Bike Breaker:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 155 in 85 posts

[QUOTE=Horse;2850745. ....Interestingly, I recently saw a write-up of a police course which commented that they no longer use it.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how universal or official that change is in police circles. And how quickly it’ll filter down to IAM policy. Quicker the better, IMO.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,474 in 1,684 posts

IME IAM observers are people, and come in a variety of flavours. My last brush with the IAM gave me the two extremes, One observer told me I was crap, and would need months of work before I could think about the test. The next one told me I just need a bit of polish on a few bits, but basically I was test ready.

I decided if the standard was that variable it probably wasn't worth bothering.

20. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Cousin Jack:

Really Bored
    Liked 355 in 234 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Ax View Post
    I reckon that's pretty much the way a cop would describe my riding, too It was put a bit more politely on Bikesafe: "a conservative ride". But at least he went on to say that he was fine with that, as safety is paramount, and he'd be happy to let his kids ride pillion with me. I was quite flattered by that.

At one point we'd just turned right from a major into a minor. It should have been a good chance to enjoy a nice twisty road, but ahead of me was a small car, and head of that was an artic. As we came out of the turn I checked my mirror and saw the examiner sitting way right of the white line, where he stayed.

I just shrugged and stayed where I was. I knew I could pass the car in front but there wasn't much room to pull in between car and lorry, and there was no way I was going to pass the artic as well in the room I had left. Then I'd have a long and slow ride with an artic blocking my view ahead and a disgruntled car driver behind me, which seemed a bit pointless.

After the ride the examiner told me I could have passed both car and lorry before we hit the next bend. Which, yes, I probably could have done, if I'd utterly banzai'd it, but the artic didn't offer me any view at all of what I'd find on the left, and I was reasonably sure I'd spotted some driveways on that side of the road.

I dunno, maybe if I'd entered the turn in the overtake position (as the examiner had done) I would have had a better view to pass, but that manoeuvre had never been explained to me on any of my observed rides and felt to me like exactly the kind of thing a copper would nick me for if he caught me doing it...
    I suspect police riders have spent their whole careers looking for opportunities like that, so it's second nature to them. Not necessarily so for us 'part-timers'. He probably saw the opportunity much earlier than you did, so would have had a safer margin. Maybe.

22. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Scootabout:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission