TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eBay con?

Liked 1,818 in 1,165 posts

Default Re: eBay con?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Well sus. Have you quoted p&p? With collection only, he doesn't have a clue how much delivery would be.

Liked 2,149 in 1,102 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    PayPal allow chargeback so it's not safe, I think I'd insist on a wire transfer but there may be a problem with that I've not heard of.
    Yeah sorry I got that arse about face, paypal protects buyers not sellers. EFT is still safe though, once the funds have cleared they can't be clawed back. Just don't accept Western Union or any of that 3rd party shit, bank to bank or nothing.

Liked 1,182 in 527 posts

I'm trying to flog an old electric tricycle on eBay, not perfect but sound as I've replaced a few iffy parts like the brakes. I had this message yesterday and something doesn't look right, I'm expecting a chargeback scam. Anyone think I'm just being paranoid?

The prospective buyer has 154 purchases on the account but no feedback in the last year.
    I think that you probably are, at this early stage at least until you've qualified him/her out at least.
    I'd respond telling him exactly how to proceed, and take it from there, ie quote him a price for shipping it through Shutl ( taking pics/vids during packing if you are still twitchy at that stage ), and when he's paid by PayPal, send it, bish bosh.

In ~2k eBay deals I've only had two proper shiesters, e been lucky I guess, but unless he starts asking to pay by PayPal and send someone to collect, to pay by western union, other methods etc, I wouldn't be overly concerned if he accepts your terms- he may just really want to buy what you have

4. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Liked 1,065 in 526 posts

Has anyone suggested getting him to ring you or vice versa to discuss the deal and shipping costs etc? Should be easy to tell a 98 yr old from a Nigerian scammer ...

6. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Gedge:

Liked 4,408 in 2,953 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    Has anyone suggested getting him to ring you or vice versa to discuss the deal and shipping costs etc? Should be easy to tell a 98 yr old from a Nigerian scammer ...
    Or tell him to post the cash by Royal Mail Special Delivery. He says he's happy to wait: "No delivery until you'd received full payment from me" so there shouldn't be a problem with that.

Unless it's a scam, of course.

Liked 2,267 in 1,103 posts
    Blog Entries

Scam him and his mate invented wire when fighting over a dropped penny.

Should Get Out More lloyd_christmas's Avatar
    Liked 695 in 333 posts

As said the overpay pledge is a red flag.

It is an interesting development in the world of scamming though, nice stranger-than-fiction back story.

As an aside I remember about 15 years ago I got a an email in Niglish from a chap who offered to overpay for a fireblade engine as he needed it urgently in Nigeria; he'd send me the 1000 pounds to cover shipping, i just needed to pay the shipping company for him. I cashed the cheque for 1700 nicker and then gave prince scammer the runaround for two weeks sending him photos of me on holiday etc, rather than paying the 'shipping company', whilst he got more and more angry.

All that happened was my current account - which had gone +1700 for two weeks after cashing the cheque - reverted back to normal balance and HSBC posted the cheque back to me with a 'FRAUD' stamp on it. That was it, case closed.

10. The following user liked this post made by lloyd_christmas:

Liked 66 in 44 posts

I'm trying to flog an old electric tricycle on eBay, not perfect but sound as I've replaced a few iffy parts like the brakes. I had this message yesterday and something doesn't look right, I'm expecting a chargeback scam. Anyone think I'm just being paranoid?

The prospective buyer has 154 purchases on the account but no feedback in the last year.
    Originally Posted by firstfeu87
    I should like to buy your tricycle but cannot collect. I live in Angus, Scotland and am 98 years of age; I don't drive now. I'd happily may for all P & P and pay more than you ask for the trike to allow for the extra trouble I'd be giving you. No delivery until you'd received full payment from me, I recently bought a Kalkhoff electric bike through eBay but having fallen off when trying to ride I'm forbidden by family from trying again: but my knees are stiffening up for want of exercise (no arthritis happily) and exercise bikes are so boring
    You can also check feedback he's left, where his writing style seems similar, some typos, using semicolons, old phrases etc. Although his feedback could be quite old as it's "More than a year ago", one is from 2007 and others mention buying a MiniDisc and video recorder.

Like others mentioned a phone call would certainly give the answer from the old jock. Perhaps you could send a telegram or use morse code

"Prompt delivery, well packed. Just dandy."
    "Entirely satisfied. Given weather seller did marvellously well to deliver"
    "A quick, satidfactory transaction."
    "Prompt delivery and wholly satisfoctory."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission