TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Very long-distance shot: border control

Liked 2,548 in 1,810 posts

Default Re: Very long-distance shot: border control

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    Fair point. Ever known of a fully functioning adult with a family forgetting to check their passport is in date before the family holiday? Or checking if their kid's (kids') passports are in date?

Yes, it's a big trip but not only have I got friends who have fucked up on the passport front, I've done three transfers in one season for different people who either had let their passport lapse or forgotten to check their kids passports?

Visa are different, but not much different? He applied for and received a visa. Had a valid passport. Guess that was all he thought he needed?
    But there is a world of difference travelling between for example Gatwick and Geneva for a 1-2 week skiing holiday, and travelling between NZ and a UK airport for a one year stay in the UK. Just saying.

At Work
    Liked 530 in 348 posts

The solution is probably to bum her and the boy. I think that’s what baboons and mandrills do in captivity; just bum everything.

Liked 1,912 in 1,181 posts
    Blog Entries

I wonder how hurt and offended we'd be at the border patrol if he was Albanian and going to stay with someone who wasn't on this forum.

Liked 2,840 in 1,415 posts

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    But there is a world of difference travelling between for example Gatwick and Geneva for a 1-2 week skiing holiday, and travelling between NZ and a UK airport for a one year stay in the UK. Just saying.

In a way. But the worst I had was a family where one child had no passport. Absolutely no way in hell I'd want to deal with that fall out; one child and father came out on the correct flight. The other child and mother stayed, went to passport office at 9am monday morning and waiting for a passport then had to go to the airport and find a flight to get near to resort and then find a transfer (at 10pm) to get them to resort - missing 2 days skiing, possibly 3, with an 8 year old, and arriving in resort at 2am due to a delayed flight.

This guy had a valid passport and a visa for the 6 months he wanted to stay so had ticked all the boxes as far as he was concerned? His error was probably to fly at the same time as his girlfriend who was stay for a year? In hindsight that could raise flags, I doubt I'd have thought of that until reading this thread!!

Liked 1,569 in 924 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    As regards bad planning - my youngest set out on your typical '4 months in far east pre uni' trip back in March, with a mate. They got to Gatwick on Day1, his mate hasn't checked that you need at least 6 months on your passport to gain entry to Bangkok, so they won't let him board. My youngest said "I definitely told him, I can't double check everything for him as well". He boarded the flight on his own by the way, matey had to shell out for a new flight and passport and caught up a few days later.

It's all "duh!" stuff that most fully-grown adults would have thought about or asked. But there's always great examples of foolishness that we can use to make us feel much better about ourselves ... https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7005156.html
    Tbf I did the same (ish) on a business trip to Dubai. Didn’t realise you had to have over 6 months left I had a month...
    Had to fork out for fast pass and rather than a nice relaxing weekend then meetings I flew direct and had a meeting 30 mins after landing.
    Meh. Worked out ok in the end I guess.

Liked 5,802 in 3,005 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    The solution is probably to bum her and the boy. I think that’s what baboons and mandrills do in captivity; just bum everything.
    I’m not sure if it would do any good but it’s the least they could do given the amount of trouble they’ve caused, even if it must be burglary.

Should Get Out More Londongal76's Avatar
    Liked 1,252 in 732 posts
    Blog Entries

I'm happy to pass on the details of my immigration lawyer if that's of any use Sav. He's a qualified lawyer in Aus and here.

Should Get Out More Savio Du Funk's Avatar
    Liked 3,494 in 1,250 posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks Londondonegirl, although i'm not sure it would help (now)

Meeting with the immigration brief today. It is a done deal and he has to return on Wednesday. It cannot be disputed nor is it worth getting hissy about; he's done nothing illegal/no dark history, he was just naïve.

This will remain on his record and the next time he tries to enter, visa or otherwise, he'll likely be collared for a chat.

I'm dropping him off on Wednesday. The Au Pair now either comes with us on holiday or I leave her with the dog for two weeks. I'm voting for the latter.

Thanks all btw. Some of the holier-than-thou stuff wasn't (and is never) helpful, but I've appreciated the other stuff.

Liked 480 in 288 posts

I do feel a bit sorry for the guy. I suspect he was naive, too honest in the interviews and inadvertently pushed all the right verbal buttons for the immigration types.

I found myself sidelined for an interview a couple times going to US on business until I learned to avoid all use of the word 'work'. I was never daft enough to own up to it being defence related. 'Aerospace' sufficed instead.

One fresh faced soul from our legal dept. proudly told the US Immigration officer that she was there to work on a defence export contract. She was in interviews for most of the afternoon and enjoyed a complete search of her luggage.

Should Get Out More Londongal76's Avatar
    Liked 1,252 in 732 posts
    Blog Entries

well if you need a 2nd opinion or some help to check if his record is clear etc, the offer is there.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission