TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Very long-distance shot: border control

Liked 578 in 358 posts

Default Re: Very long-distance shot: border control

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    If he was 12 it might be understandable.

Both my Neice and Nephew spent a year in oz and NZ when they were his age. They both made sure they knew the rules before stepping on the plane.

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by McNab:

Liked 2,207 in 1,324 posts

As regards bad planning - my youngest set out on your typical '4 months in far east pre uni' trip back in March, with a mate. They got to Gatwick on Day1, his mate hasn't checked that you need at least 6 months on your passport to gain entry to Bangkok, so they won't let him board. My youngest said "I definitely told him, I can't double check everything for him as well". He boarded the flight on his own by the way, matey had to shell out for a new flight and passport and caught up a few days later.

It's all "duh!" stuff that most fully-grown adults would have thought about or asked. But there's always great examples of foolishness that we can use to make us feel much better about ourselves ... https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7005156.html

4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by DefTrap:

Liked 1,908 in 1,083 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    He's 22. Guess he didn't think about it!!
    A fully functioning, intelligent adult then?

6. The following user liked this post made by Jasper:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,575 in 2,074 posts
    Blog Entries

Unless he's challenged in some way, at 22 he's a proper grown up and should know how to do stuff like this. If he doesn't then tough. If he's got any wit about him might learn.

Liked 7,778 in 4,075 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Unless he's challenged in some way, at 22 he's a proper grown up and should know how to do stuff like this. If he doesn't then tough. If he's got any wit about him might learn.
    S'what I think too. As irresponsible as I could be at 22, there's no way i'd have spent the money and presumably chucked in a job to go half way round the world without checking out i met the criteria to even get in the country for the time I wanted to be there. Its also why I asked what liability SDF's family has if he's been discharged to them and then decides to go walkabout.

Liked 1,090 in 719 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    He sorted a visa out for the amount of time he wanted to be here to cover what he was doing - the visa was seemingly correct. I don't think that you can reasonably expect a 22 year old from another country to understand how utterly cynical our immigration department is and to over-rule the UK embassy in Aus that would have issued the visa.

10. The following user liked this post made by Bobzilla:

Liked 1,498 in 926 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla View Post
    He sorted a visa out for the amount of time he wanted to be here to cover what he was doing - the visa was seemingly correct. I don't think that you can reasonably expect a 22 year old from another country to understand how utterly cynical our immigration department is and to over-rule the UK embassy in Aus that would have issued the visa.
    Yes that

12. The following user liked this post made by Makman:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,488 in 1,759 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    He's 22. Guess he didn't think about it!!
    Then his and/or her parents should have.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,488 in 1,759 posts

He had a 6 month permit whereas his girlfriend had a 12 month permit. Do you see the problem here? It is a perfectly reasonable assumption to make that he more likely than not intends to stay with his girlfriend for the full 12 months.

Liked 1,090 in 719 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    His girlfriend had a 12 month permit. He had a 6 month permit. Can Sir not see the weeny problem here?
    The UK embassy in Aus seemingly didn't. I don't. Why wasn't she denied entry on the basis that au pair wages aren't great, and she could quite easily slip into the ether and be here illegally?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,730 in 853 posts
    Blog Entries

Point of order, visas don’t give an absolute right of entry and the final decision is always with the immigration official at the border. For a start, visa granting officials aren’t in a position to judge if you look like you’re intending to comply with the conditions of the visa. They can’t tell if you are planning to work when you apply for a tourist visa, for example. So just because he got a visa in the first place doesn’t mean any error was made in issuing it

Liked 578 in 358 posts

The UK embassy in Aus seemingly didn't. I don't. Why wasn't she denied entry on the basis that au pair wages aren't great, and she could quite easily slip into the ether and be here illegally?
    She's got a work visa, he hasn't. He's her fiance and I would think the imigration officers believed it unusual for him to return home in 6 months time leaving her behind.

The two of them arriving together probably didn't help his situation.

18. The following 3 users liked this useful post by McNab:

Liked 2,207 in 1,324 posts

Another point of order: there's a case for the au pair being refused as well if we're being honest about it. This job could be taken by a respectable English woman (or man let's not be all sexual about i!) willing and able to do this. There must be plenty of vulnerable English people willing to work for sweet FA in Savio's child factory, some of them might not even mind the overpowering smell of his pheromones.

20. The following user liked this post made by DefTrap:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,363 in 1,614 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Savio Du Funk View Post
    The customs people said as soon as he's on the plane home this incident won't appear on future records (that's on his form in hand writing). The solicitor said that's bollocks.

I can't be too harsh on the kid. From what little I know since he's been here, he's kind and well meaning and pragmatic. 'Worst case is i'll go home and get a wo
    I suspect it is total bollocks, and he may NOT be able to get a visa for several years. As I said before, he needs an immigration solicitor.

Liked 2,763 in 1,375 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    A fully functioning, intelligent adult then?

Fair point. Ever known of a fully functioning adult with a family forgetting to check their passport is in date before the family holiday? Or checking if their kid's (kids') passports are in date?

Yes, it's a big trip but not only have I got friends who have fucked up on the passport front, I've done three transfers in one season for different people who either had let their passport lapse or forgotten to check their kids passports?

Visa are different, but not much different? He applied for and received a visa. Had a valid passport. Guess that was all he thought he needed?

23. The following user liked this post made by Noggin:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission