Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: please recc me a phone with a superb camera? Will be my DSLR replacement

Liked 2,438 in 1,603 posts

Default Re: please recc me a phone with a superb camera? Will be my DSLR replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    An SLR camera will never replace a phone.
    Ftfy

However much better an SLR is, you won't have it in your pocket all the time. It's all about compromise, and a low-quality picture is [probably] better than none.

FWiW, I take snaps on the phone and use the camera (Lumix bridge) when I'm planning ahead and know that I will need to take more 'controlled' photos. But some of my snaps have ended up being valuable.

2. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Liked 1,126 in 793 posts

Default Re: please recc me a phone with a superb camera? Will be my DSLR replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Ftfy

However much better an SLR is, you won't have it in your pocket all the time. It's all about compromise, and a low-quality picture is [probably] better than none.

FWiW, I take snaps on the phone and use the camera (Lumix bridge) when I'm planning ahead and know that I will need to take more 'controlled' photos. But some of my snaps have ended up being valuable.
    Agreed, but it'll never replace an SLR. Fine for a 'snap' though.

Liked 83 in 58 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reburner View Post
    That. Me too. Stunning for portraits.

I was going to get the Huawei but the Pixel2 is better IMHO,
    Phone or Camera ?

Bloke here has one, camera wise I'd go Huawei, phone I'd probably go with vanilla android of the Pixel (and be a lot poorer cash wise), however they've toned down EMUI quite a bit, and it actually gets regular updates.

Liked 7,387 in 3,886 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Ftfy

As the old saying goes, the best camera you have is the one you have with you! Ants right though, a camera phone wont match a modern dslr in any way, but if its going to be a compressed jpeg for the web, then, yes, a camera phone will probably be fine in most instances. I doubt many would be able to pick out which one was the iphone, pixel2 or huweywatiscalled when its on a website. As i said earlier, the quality of the end result really comes down to who does what in post production using lightroom or photoshop.

6. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 3,901 in 2,510 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    As the old saying goes, the best camera you have is the one you have with you! Ants right though, a camera phone wont match a modern dslr in any way, but if its going to be a compressed jpeg for the web, then, yes, a camera phone will probably be fine in most instances. I doubt many would be able to pick out which one was the iphone, pixel2 or huweywatiscalled when its on a website. As i said earlier, the quality of the end result really comes down to who does what in post production using lightroom or photoshop.
    An interesting take on it;
    https://petapixel.com/2018/04/20/hua...-r-im-stunned/

Of course a 1000+ dslr is always going to take better photos than a 1000 phone, but it'll be a shit sat nav and have crap call quality

8. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Liked 7,387 in 3,886 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    An interesting take on it;
    https://petapixel.com/2018/04/20/hua...-r-im-stunned/

Of course a 1000+ dslr is always going to take better photos than a 1000 phone, but it'll be a shit sat nav and have crap call quality
    the whole iphoneograhpy movement has seen some stunning pictures from camera phones, but a lot of it is whats down to post production. I certainly conceed camera phones have improved incredibly in the last few years. I approve all images for the web use within our organisation and as a general guideline camera phone pictures were out. Thats changed now, which is a result as I don't have to go and take pictures of things half as much as I used to! Where they ten to fall down is for deep zoom images, which is understandable.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 985 in 599 posts

What's the go-to Android camera app these days?

I mostly use 'open camera'

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 3,901 in 2,510 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    What's the go-to Android camera app these days?

I mostly use 'open camera'
    I don't think I've ever used any camera app that wasn't the native pre-installed one.

Liked 1,126 in 793 posts

Though a little out of date, this phone has good battery life and the photos are superb

Liked 2,438 in 1,603 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Though a little out of date, this phone has good battery life and the photos are superb

And almost fits in the pocket

Liked 3,893 in 2,055 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Phone or Camera ?

Bloke here has one, camera wise I'd go Huawei, phone I'd probably go with vanilla android of the Pixel (and be a lot poorer cash wise), however they've toned down EMUI quite a bit, and it actually gets regular updates.
    Both. The Huawei software just isn't as good as the Pixel2. I did loads of research and tried both phones.

15. The following user liked this post made by Reburner:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum