Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: ES2 progress

  1. #1
    At Work iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,110
    Like
    94
    Liked 244 in 131 posts

    Default ES2 progress

    It's starting to look much better:







    Starting and running well thanks to fitting a 3.5 cutaway rather then the specified 4. I suspect the original was for economy rather than performance.

    Still a few jobs to get it on the road so I can assess what needs to be done over the winter apart from cosmetics. But so far I'm pleased with progress.

  2. The following 7 users liked this useful post by iansoady:


  3. #2
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    32,006
    Like
    2,285
    Liked 5,297 in 2,740 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    Nice.
    It'll be well sorted by the time you sell it to me next year

    It does look a lot better and you can see it's been restored, but there is a bit of me that also really liked the rough 'lived-in' look that it originally came with.
    Now it looks like a lovingly cared for weekend ride, whereas before it looked like something a bloke had ridden to work on every day since it left the factory.

    When I was in the UK recently I saw an old Matchless, held together with bits of wire and tape, it was all there and original but it looked rough and it was absolutely fantastic, you could tell the owner knew every inch of it and had probably stopped on the way there to tie something up that was falling off.

    I've decided I'm not polishing the Rudge, I'll keep it clean(ish) and well maintained but I want it to look like a riders bike, not a show piece.

  4. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:


  5. #3
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Back home
    Posts
    33,490
    Like
    1,408
    Liked 1,886 in 973 posts
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    That's a lovely bike with a bit of patina. I must say if it was mine I'd be tempted to do a restoration and keep it for sunny days, IMO when they get to that sort of age they deserve their retirement and to be kept nice, they're not a working bike or project to make them into something they're not. But it's still lovely

  6. #4
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    32,006
    Like
    2,285
    Liked 5,297 in 2,740 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    ... IMO when they get to that sort of age they deserve their retirement and to be kept nice, they're not a working bike...
    We're all different types of people but I disagree 100% with this type of sentiment with any vehicle.
    If the bikes could talk I'm sure they'd ask to be taken out every day.

  7. #5
    At Work iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,110
    Like
    94
    Liked 244 in 131 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    Thanks both. I don't want a trailer queen (and wouldn't spend the money that would cost!) but neither would I be happy running around on something that looks as if it will fall to bits at any moment.....

    Tricky.

  8. The following user liked this post made by iansoady:


  9. #6
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    32,006
    Like
    2,285
    Liked 5,297 in 2,740 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Thanks both. I don't want a trailer queen (and wouldn't spend the money that would cost!) but neither would I be happy running around on something that looks as if it will fall to bits at any moment.....

    Tricky.
    I'm the same I suppose.
    I just love the thought of some old geezer that bought one new in the 50's and is still riding it around in it's original state, nursing it along, rather than us johnny-come-latelys who think we're doing them justice.

  10. #7
    Really Bored Monstyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Soviet Republic of Ayrshire
    Posts
    4,871
    Like
    116
    Liked 921 in 403 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    That looks great, I also prefer old machines to have the evidence of age about them, I do like the shiny ones too but there’s just something honest about the tarnish and grime that I like.

  11. #8
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Back home
    Posts
    33,490
    Like
    1,408
    Liked 1,886 in 973 posts
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    I don't want a trailer queen
    Nor me, which is why my Commando and my LC have both been used, however they don't get used as daily bikes and they are both in as original condition as possible. I've got something else modern for riding about on when I don't have a reason to take one of the classics out. They're too good for that, horses for courses, if you've got a vintage wine you don't glug it back like cheap cider.

  12. #9
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    32,006
    Like
    2,285
    Liked 5,297 in 2,740 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Nor me, which is why my Commando and my LC have both been used, however they don't get used as daily bikes and they are both in as original condition as possible. I've got something else modern for riding about on when I don't have a reason to take one of the classics out. They're too good for that, horses for courses, if you've got a vintage wine you don't glug it back like cheap cider.
    I don't really have a daily bike, I don't use motorcycles as transport, sadly I only get to use them as fun things when I get chance.
    I'm not being confrontational (I'll save that for the politics threads ) but I don't "glug cheap cider" to use your metaphor, I don't have cheap bikes that I alternate with the expensive bikes, I ride motorcycles that I want to ride, I don't save the expensive stuff for best, or drown myself in it either. It's just stuff that I like and I use it when I want to, so I treat my 1936 Rudge the same way I treat my 2018 MV Agusta, I just ride them whenever I want to and keep them maintained.

    Tbf I suppose that might change if I needed to use a motorcycle on a daily basis, I might use the newer stuff a bit more often than the older stuff, but more because it's just easier to ride in modern traffic than the older stuff.
    I avoid town if I'm on the Rudge, the clutch isn't great and it overheats if I'm sat stationary for long periods.

  13. #10
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,433
    Like
    359
    Liked 551 in 382 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Starting and running well thanks to fitting a 3.5 cutaway rather then the specified 4. I suspect the original was for economy rather than performance.
    'Scuse me asking, but is that the throttle slide cutaway?

  14. #11
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27,260
    Like
    132
    Liked 3,452 in 2,342 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    You can’t depend on any specified carb settings for an old bike.

    It’s quite likely a bigger cutaway would be suitable for an air filter.

  15. #12
    At Work iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,110
    Like
    94
    Liked 244 in 131 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
    'Scuse me asking, but is that the throttle slide cutaway?
    Yes indeed. It's slightly complicated for this bike as the original carb is a 276 pre-monobloc whereas I have a monobloc fitted, at least till I get it running properly. I have an original one but it's in poor condition.

    There would be no air filter as original but there would be a gauze strainer which would probably affect the airflow to some extent. I do like them as they prevent the bike going up in flames if there's a serious backfire.....

  16. The following 2 users liked this useful post by iansoady:


  17. #13
    Should Get Out More Noggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    French Alps, La Plagne Dahrlink!
    Posts
    9,654
    Like
    12,620
    Liked 2,597 in 1,279 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    That's bloody gorgeous x

  18. #14
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,433
    Like
    359
    Liked 551 in 382 posts

    Default Re: ES2 progress

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Yes indeed. It's slightly complicated for this bike as the original carb is a 276 pre-monobloc whereas I have a monobloc fitted, at least till I get it running properly. I have an original one but it's in poor condition.

    There would be no air filter as original but there would be a gauze strainer which would probably affect the airflow to some extent. I do like them as they prevent the bike going up in flames if there's a serious backfire.....
    Backfires, eh? Now there's a blast from the past.




    Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Go Back to Forum My Forum