TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Austrian MotoGP

  1. #1
    Should Get Out More GiantPygmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,151
    Like
    5,700
    Liked 4,590 in 2,512 posts

    Default Austrian MotoGP


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    FP1:

    Looks like another Ducati Weekend. Yamaha continue to struggle after Brno

    Whats yer predictions then?

    Cla # Rider Bike Laps Time Gap
    1 4 Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 22 1'23.830
    2 99 Jorge Lorenzo Ducati 19 1'24.045 0.215
    3 9 Danilo Petrucci Ducati 22 1'24.320 0.490
    4 93 Marc Marquez Honda 22 1'24.411 0.581
    5 29 Andrea Iannone Suzuki 23 1'24.436 0.606
    6 26 Dani Pedrosa Honda 23 1'24.474 0.644
    7 35 Cal Crutchlow Honda 22 1'24.491 0.661
    8 53 Tito Rabat Ducati 25 1'24.676 0.846
    9 5 Johann Zarco Yamaha 22 1'24.767 0.937
    10 25 Maverick Viñales Yamaha 19 1'24.835 1.005
    11 46 Valentino Rossi Yamaha 20 1'24.884 1.054
    12 41 Aleix Espargaro Aprilia 22 1'24.904 1.074
    13 19 Alvaro Bautista Ducati 23 1'24.938 1.108
    14 42 Alex Rins Suzuki 22 1'24.939 1.109
    15 38 Bradley Smith KTM 23 1'24.973 1.143
    16 30 Takaaki Nakagami Honda 23 1'25.011 1.181
    17 21 Franco Morbidelli Honda 24 1'25.107 1.277
    18 43 Jack Miller Ducati 21 1'25.184 1.354
    19 45 Scott Redding Aprilia 21 1'25.354 1.524
    20 17 Karel Abraham Ducati 20 1'25.541 1.711
    21 55 Hafizh Syahrin Yamaha 21 1'25.594 1.764
    22 10 Xavier Simeon Ducati 21 1'25.752 1.922
    23 12 Thomas Luthi Honda 23 1'25.979 2.149

  2. #2
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where I want to be.
    Posts
    33,878
    Like
    1,579
    Liked 2,169 in 1,111 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    You wouldn't bet against MM but he's smart enough to take the points if a win's not there. So who knows. Since Ducati started listening to their riders they've made a lot of progress.

  3. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:


  4. #3
    Should Get Out More Lostboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,979
    Like
    4,378
    Liked 1,309 in 836 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    As has been pointed out (Mat Oxley, I believe) it's essentially three drag strips with a few curves thrown in to make it feel like a circuit. It's got Ducati written all over it*.

    *although Marquez made it fun last year.

  5. #4
    Should Get Out More Lostboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,979
    Like
    4,378
    Liked 1,309 in 836 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    Interesting to see where the Brits ended up when it got wet.


  6. The following user liked this post made by Lostboy:


  7. #5
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where I want to be.
    Posts
    33,878
    Like
    1,579
    Liked 2,169 in 1,111 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    They're talking on BT Sport now about the problems that Yamaha have. Both crew chiefs rumoured to be unhappy/leaving. And how the Yamaha is a "good" bike but not a "great" one, the problem is that it doesn't excel at anything. Strikes me their problem is fundamental and deep rooted, because what it stems from is the fact that for many years they have simply built bikes that Rossi likes. This is not a Rossi knocking post before any knee jerking starts off, just think about it. When Rossi took the M1 seat in 2004 the bike was far from its disappointing beginnings and had been developed to within a hairsbreadth of winning. As a machine that suited Rossi's strong points of braking and turning he was the final part of the jigsaw, and together with Burgess he turned it into a winning machine.

    But since then Yamaha have stuck with the same formula , relying on Rossi's brilliance to turn in the wins. But as younger riders entered the fray, often emulating Rossi's winning style, the magic started to fade. Lorenzo capitalised on the Yamaha formula before leaving the team, which had become more about Rossi than Yamaha, and as Rossi himself struggled to match the pace of the new normal, Yamaha had nothing more to give and so the results faded along with the prospects of its riders.

    Clearly the M1 remains an formidable machine and Rossi, 2nd in the championship, is no slouch either, but the magic just isn't there, and Yamaha haven't won a race since Assen 2017. You don't develop a winning MotoGP bike overnight - ask Ducati - so Yamaha are now faced with the problem of how to once again make the M1 a machine that not only wins in Rossi's hands, but other riders' hands as well. And with the end of Rossi's racing career now firmly on the horizon, that's going to be a big headache back in Hammamatsu.

  8. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:


  9. #6
    Should Get Out More GiantPygmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,151
    Like
    5,700
    Liked 4,590 in 2,512 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    They're talking on BT Sport now about the problems that Yamaha have. Both crew chiefs rumoured to be unhappy/leaving. And how the Yamaha is a "good" bike but not a "great" one, the problem is that it doesn't excel at anything. Strikes me their problem is fundamental and deep rooted, because what it stems from is the fact that for many years they have simply built bikes that Rossi likes. This is not a Rossi knocking post before any knee jerking starts off, just think about it. When Rossi took the M1 seat in 2004 the bike was far from its disappointing beginnings and had been developed to within a hairsbreadth of winning. As a machine that suited Rossi's strong points of braking and turning he was the final part of the jigsaw, and together with Burgess he turned it into a winning machine.

    But since then Yamaha have stuck with the same formula , relying on Rossi's brilliance to turn in the wins. But as younger riders entered the fray, often emulating Rossi's winning style, the magic started to fade. Lorenzo capitalised on the Yamaha formula before leaving the team, which had become more about Rossi than Yamaha, and as Rossi himself struggled to match the pace of the new normal, Yamaha had nothing more to give and so the results faded along with the prospects of its riders.

    Clearly the M1 remains an formidable machine and Rossi, 2nd in the championship, is no slouch either, but the magic just isn't there, and Yamaha haven't won a race since Assen 2017. You don't develop a winning MotoGP bike overnight - ask Ducati - so Yamaha are now faced with the problem of how to once again make the M1 a machine that not only wins in Rossi's hands, but other riders' hands as well. And with the end of Rossi's racing career now firmly on the horizon, that's going to be a big headache back in Hammamatsu.

    Interesting that the Factory openly apologise to Vinales & Rossi

    https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...57233/?nrt=112

    The old slouch did pretty well to bring it from 14th to 6th though I think Vinales has other issues, he put it 8th on the grid and only managed 12th. If Yamaha don't do anything to fix it, Rossi won't get to stand on the top step of the podium in MotoGP again though..

    Really enjoyed all three races, great to see Lorenzo slogging it out in the final laps - you wouldn't have believed that a few weeks ago?

  10. The following user liked this post made by GiantPygmy:


  11. #7
    Should Get Out More Lostboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,979
    Like
    4,378
    Liked 1,309 in 836 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    They're talking on BT Sport now about the problems that Yamaha have. Both crew chiefs rumoured to be unhappy/leaving. And how the Yamaha is a "good" bike but not a "great" one, the problem is that it doesn't excel at anything. Strikes me their problem is fundamental and deep rooted, because what it stems from is the fact that for many years they have simply built bikes that Rossi likes. This is not a Rossi knocking post before any knee jerking starts off, just think about it. When Rossi took the M1 seat in 2004 the bike was far from its disappointing beginnings and had been developed to within a hairsbreadth of winning. As a machine that suited Rossi's strong points of braking and turning he was the final part of the jigsaw, and together with Burgess he turned it into a winning machine.

    But since then Yamaha have stuck with the same formula , relying on Rossi's brilliance to turn in the wins. But as younger riders entered the fray, often emulating Rossi's winning style, the magic started to fade. Lorenzo capitalised on the Yamaha formula before leaving the team, which had become more about Rossi than Yamaha, and as Rossi himself struggled to match the pace of the new normal, Yamaha had nothing more to give and so the results faded along with the prospects of its riders.

    Clearly the M1 remains an formidable machine and Rossi, 2nd in the championship, is no slouch either, but the magic just isn't there, and Yamaha haven't won a race since Assen 2017. You don't develop a winning MotoGP bike overnight - ask Ducati - so Yamaha are now faced with the problem of how to once again make the M1 a machine that not only wins in Rossi's hands, but other riders' hands as well. And with the end of Rossi's racing career now firmly on the horizon, that's going to be a big headache back in Hammamatsu.
    Only thing I could fault with that was that I thought that Yamaha were in Iwata!

  12. #8
    Should Get Out More Lostboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,979
    Like
    4,378
    Liked 1,309 in 836 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Interesting that the Factory openly apologise to Vinales & Rossi

    https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...57233/?nrt=112

    The old slouch did pretty well to bring it from 14th to 6th though I think Vinales has other issues, he put it 8th on the grid and only managed 12th. If Yamaha don't do anything to fix it, Rossi won't get to stand on the top step of the podium in MotoGP again though..

    Really enjoyed all three races, great to see Lorenzo slogging it out in the final laps - you wouldn't have believed that a few weeks ago?
    Nope. Clearly realised he's got to MTFU if he's going to compete with Marc next year.

  13. #9
    Should Get Out More GiantPygmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,151
    Like
    5,700
    Liked 4,590 in 2,512 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    Mystery solved:


  14. The following 3 users liked this useful post by GiantPygmy:


  15. #10
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where I want to be.
    Posts
    33,878
    Like
    1,579
    Liked 2,169 in 1,111 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Really enjoyed all three races, great to see Lorenzo slogging it out in the final laps - you wouldn't have believed that a few weeks ago?
    Yeah, it's almost as if he needed to be given the right bike by the factory like he'd been asking for all last year. Top races and kudos to all concerned, nice to see them laughing about it in parc ferme too instead of whingeing how unsafe each other was

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    Only thing I could fault with that was that I thought that Yamaha were in Iwata!
    *Ahem* deliferate mistale

  16. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Tomcat:


  17. #11
    Not Much To Do twids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dances with crutches
    Posts
    541
    Like
    302
    Liked 155 in 67 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    What a cracking race, I wonder how much those first few block passes by MM riled Lorenzo as I've not seen him that aggressive for a while.

    What happened at the end though, looked like MM had sorted another block pass but then gave Lorenzo a load of room on the exit? Perhaps he was thinking of next year's garage?

    4th in the world ain't bad what's the future hold for Cal? How close is the LCR to being a factory bike?

  18. #12
    Should Get Out More Lostboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,979
    Like
    4,378
    Liked 1,309 in 836 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    Quote Originally Posted by twids View Post
    What a cracking race, I wonder how much those first few block passes by MM riled Lorenzo as I've not seen him that aggressive for a while.

    What happened at the end though, looked like MM had sorted another block pass but then gave Lorenzo a load of room on the exit? Perhaps he was thinking of next year's garage?

    4th in the world ain't bad what's the future hold for Cal? How close is the LCR to being a factory bike?
    Marquez is much smarter than people give him credit for. He extended his lead in the Championship by staying on the bike.

  19. The following user liked this post made by Lostboy:


  20. #13
    At Work formula400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North London N2
    Posts
    1,315
    Like
    101
    Liked 278 in 108 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    Marquez is much smarter than people give him credit for. He extended his lead in the Championship by staying on the bike.
    yeah a lot of people are missing that, red mist and fall off, or have a little go and move further ahead. he knows he cant win every race.

  21. #14
    Really Bored McNab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,838
    Like
    241
    Liked 598 in 367 posts

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    It's all part of his plan to help his best buddy beat Rossi in the championship.


  22. The following user liked this post made by McNab:


  23. #15
    Retired & Happy Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    37,033
    Like
    4,960
    Liked 4,979 in 3,112 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Austrian MotoGP

    Quote Originally Posted by twids View Post
    What a cracking race, I wonder how much those first few block passes by MM riled Lorenzo as I've not seen him that aggressive for a while.

    What happened at the end though, looked like MM had sorted another block pass but then gave Lorenzo a load of room on the exit? Perhaps he was thinking of next year's garage?

    4th in the world ain't bad what's the future hold for Cal? How close is the LCR to being a factory bike?
    Lorenzo said he knew MM would make that pass and planned a faster, wider exit.

    And CC's is 99% factory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission