TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Macbook Air

Liked 6,365 in 3,634 posts

Default Macbook Air

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    As much as I'm an Apple hater, the wife likes her iphone and ipad and needs a new pooter.

We had a look in PCWorld and I found her a nice Lenovo 330S, i5, 1080p screen, 8gb, 128gb SSD, 475 iirc.

We then had a look at the 128gb, i5, Mackbook Air (2017). It's 799 and she loves it.

PCWorld has a trade in offer on at the moment. She's got a 4 year old Asus with a Celeron in it that cost 200 new. It works (just) and matches all the trade in criteria (boots to a valid OS, less than 7 years old, etc..).

They'll give us 50 for it against the Lenovo, but if we buy the Macbook Air it's 200 off... so the MBA for 599 new.

I can't find anyone selling the MBA cheaper. I know there's a new one due out soon, but it seems a very good deal (for a Mac)?

Liked 2,838 in 1,414 posts

Default Re: Macbook Air

Go for it!! I've got a MacBook pro that I still love over three years later. Never kept a computer that long without wanting to launch it through a window!!

AND that is a good price too

Liked 576 in 404 posts
    Blog Entries

Lovely design, size & weight, but it's IOS, if she's used to MS It may become a p.i.a. I sold mine on with-in 2 months and got a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 running MS, less money but imo better imo

Believe it or not, I'm an IT professional.

I've supported Mac's since OS 8. Never really got on with them.

I'd rather her have a wintel device, but if a Mac makes her feel special, then why not.

She's not a windows power user so I imagine an easy transition.

I'm just surprised by the deal.

At Work
    Liked 530 in 348 posts

Gaybook Gay more like.

That said, if it's for a woman that doesn't really matter.

It does sound like a good deal (although it's been a while since I looked at the prices - and then it wasn't for me, honest!).

Liked 1,346 in 688 posts

If she's already Apple'd up then a Mac makes sense and that does sound like a decent deal.

My usual advice to people with Apple devices is not to get sucked in to using the Apple apps, instead go with Google or anything else that means stuff can be easily ported between platforms. Gmail as an email client, Google Drive for storage, that sort of thing.

7. The following user liked this post made by Pirahna:

Liked 1,444 in 1,011 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I'm just surprised by the deal.
    Me too. Depends I guess on whose funding it. I've been out of retail for a good decade, but back then even the posh end of things were turning their range on their offers etc from what our own buyers liked, into ranges which would be supplier funded. I guess here you have several potential factors at work.

1 It's due a replacement. However have you a link for this very particular macbook air please? Because last time I played about with apple's own online configurator with macbooks the absolute only just about acceptable minimum I could get it down to was 1400. Was a 15" or the larger screen though.

2 The bigger one-new markets. I'm not seeing PCWorld as being an apple destination. I'm not seeing it as an evenly informed persons destination. I would however go to a huge one myself when I'd narrowed down some options for myself to find those models on display & see & test the keyboards for myself, but I wouldn't buy even a cable from them. Because I'd rather get anything like that off John Lewis online for my extra year's warranty, price match & never having to deal with the customer service idiots in any of high street ever again

3 Which neatly leads me onto everyone else doing the same thing-it's as tough as it's ever been on the High Street & those kinds of stores are expensive to run & stock. And seeing as apple would be firm sale, if the buyers at PC World have fucked up on their stock position, well. Get rid of the fucking things at all costs job. Some cashflow is better than no cashflow. And Christmas buying has already started.

4 All of which Apple & PC World know. And frankly the only way you get people's behaviours to change in PC World market is on price. 799 for that lot-christ only if someone's done something really clever like got into the best uni of anyone ever in the family. That's heavy money. I mean as per previous threads I needed to talk my own mother out of a macbook & she ended up with a Dell & that with a 17" screen too for about 1/3 of what the equivalent macbook (which haven't come in 17"ers for eons-why not I've always wondered?)

But had the macbook been near the same price of that....(actually it wouldn't because it's me & my bro who have to fix her stuff, & both of us know about apples nasty little tricks with a soldering iron & even drives, plus her eyesight & that 17"), well for most people it would be a no brainer.

I've also just remembered that a good few years ago HP were running a trade-in offer online. Of course it did rather depend on what you had, but they were talking about 150 off, & one of our lot had something bit like your mrs's which did qualify for the full 150. No brainer plus the old one is now out of sight & mind.

So it's not perhaps that apple is being quite so massively generous (but HTF did a macbook air get under a grand in the 1st place??) as the other lot being miserly. And it's more than likely that PC World are trousering a big whack of it themselves**. Going back to supplier funded promo, a clever retailer actually chooses the final range from those suppliers who give the biggest trade discounts anyhow.

** which if I'd been apple I would have made in contractual that full trade in value is passed direct to customer & the whole thing conditional on a minimum bulk order. The other thing is dominance. Remember all those half price Harry Potter hardbacks? I can assure you that Bloomsbury stood rock solid on that & the retailer themselves took the hit. For a start they didn't need to, so why would you? And more than anything in those days that was a lot more to do with the retailers fighting for market share, which TBF, has fuck all to do with any of the publishers.
    Last edited by Editor; 26-08-18 at 10:41.

Liked 910 in 456 posts

I've had my Macbook air for 3 years now. It does everything I need it to do, is small, lightweight and the battery life is FAR better than any of my windows computers. Starts up immediately and if you put it into standby, uses very little battery. I use chrome rather than safari and I have all the office compatible software on it for some of the work stuff I need.

If this packed in, I'd buy another one. And that does seem like a very good deal.

10. The following user liked this post made by Nordboy:

Liked 1,444 in 1,011 posts
    Blog Entries

Sussed it. We're in the fallow zone of the summer hols, where everyone has been away & it's those last 'what the fuck are we going to do today' before school itself starts. And a brief week or so later the new starters go up to Unis. If from Apple's POV they can catch them right at the start of their independence, they'll have got them for life. And those are more likely to be the eventual spendy section of their age demographic. So now's the time when mum desperate for something to do with the youngers takes them to a retail park, or clever Emily hanging around with her bored mates have been doing some retail time wasting activity. Both then come across it for themselves. Ideal trade in I guess will be what they were using for their A levels.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    .. but if a Mac makes her feel special, then why not.
    I like to think of myself as brand immune & image DGAS. But I do appreciate good design & there is no doubt in my eye those macbook airs are elegant & lovely. Plus there's a chap on my FB lot whose a very clever fella & is involved with very clever things with aeronautical damage modelling, software etc. He's the one who sells it, but to very tech savvy people. Def contracts etc. Now he knows the score, but when he goes out he goes fully appled up. And the real reason he says is not from a tech perspective, but from a sales one. It's that apple logo & instantly recognisable design that sure as hell doesn't impress that lot, but does make them feel they are dealing with 'safe' people. He did have the grace to admit that he'd never had a dropout or a mardy moment, but then again, he says same as a hitman would always check his rifle before each job, his team go over all of his kit before a presentation & pitch.

The other aspect is of course weight & that counts for such a lot if you're in the habit of usually using it on the sofa, on the arm of a chair & frequently whisking off away to the kitchen with it still running. On that basis that's the one single dimension which kills an ipad for me. Best of the lot IMO, but also the heaviest & I just can't be dealing with that on my sofa, or toting it around in a shoulder bag when out & about. Come to think of it I've been using my phone in place of our Hudl2 since I got a vaguely decent Samsung.

Anyhow I'd love one, & despite everything we did & have done, so deep down would our mam.

EDIT-is the model with all the squawking over the butterfly/ not a butterfly keyboard? i.e it's shite & packs in very early on?

Just been and done the deed.

Was gonna do it when I first posted.. but one of the cats needed 400 of dental work, so the MacBook got pushed back.

I'd done the full factory wipe and reset on her ASUS, not even turned it on afterwards, ran the OOTB process soon as it was powered up, the spotty geek at the tech bar seemed quite pleased. Turns out if the windows event logs shows two system crashes then it's classed as faulty and they won't do a trade in, chances are it'll end up in the 3rd world somewhere.

They didn't have the Mac in stock, but she'll be picking one up from store after work tomogga.

The Sales guy stopped trying to up sell as I mentioned supporting a design studio of Mac's 20 years ago running OS8

I'm going to really enjoy watching the wife trying to get her head round it, I've told her it's 'different' to windows, but in her own words "I can work my ipad ok".

Liked 910 in 456 posts

We did this deal for my wife as well, 599 for a Macbook Air is a great deal, she loves it and is happy, which we all know is the main thing.

Downside is Crimbo is coming and my daughter also has an old PC that she would like to magically turn into one of the Air's!! So, I think it'll be back down to Currys this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordboy View Post
    We did this deal for my wife as well, 599 for a Macbook Air is a great deal, she loves it and is happy, which we all know is the main thing.

Downside is Crimbo is coming and my daughter also has an old PC that she would like to magically turn into one of the Air's!! So, I think it'll be back down to Currys this week.
    Be quick, I think the offer ends early October.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission