TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TRC-Pembrey-extravaganza 5/6/7 July 2019

Liked 2,291 in 1,176 posts

Default Re: 2019 TRC Pembrey extravaganza, with a minor potential twist in the tail.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    It's not qualifying, so why do they need to do 'strong overtake' ? They have all day, so why worry about losing 2 or 3 seconds waiting for a gap to pass a punter safely?

We were never allowed to 'play' in the novice group. And had to be respectful in the Inters. Fast group was game on.
    Your last sentence is a good policy. But the Inters always seems to be the contentious one.

The problem as I saw it is that there were people on fast bikes who weren't very fast in the corners. Now you could argue they shouldn't really be in Inters as you could argue that faster riders on slower bikes shouldn't either. But when you have a mixture of bike and rider speeds it happens, and as long as they're enjoying themselves I've no major problem with it. And under those circumstances if you can't pass fast and clean on the straights (as I saw them doing) then you have to pass in the corners. But like you say, it's not qualifying and you can wait a few seconds. But when you have a rolling chicane on an H2R there's only so long you can wait.

Liked 1,497 in 1,048 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2019 TRC Pembrey extravaganza, with a minor potential twist in the tail.

Having followed it somewhat vicariously via FB & here. It all looked pretty bang on to me. Can't do much about the weather-good learning from that & poor Mr OCD's valiant efforts to get there says to me take my van. Job jobbed then.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    1 Why did only Fizzy and Tricky book that ? Or, why didn't the rest of you consider the Friday ? I think they had 45 riders total on the day, so lots of very empty tracks for people. Is it down to the extra day off work ? The extra day away from the family ? Or something else?

2 2019 we're potentially working on the Friday twist... Which will be a Female only group. There are many times you hear of girls/ladies saying "Well, we don't want to be out with a bunch of lunatic blokes", so the thoughts are leaning towards facilitating that on the Friday. Currently the idea is for 1 group, but if we could get 45 or so, then they could have 'Ladies day' So just throwing it up there for initial thoughts and discussion etc.

3 On the Friday night this year Mrs Weeksy did a few laps in the van with Phil Bevan, she came back saying it was really helpful, really useful and when i saw her out there the next day she was using a LOT more of the track than in previous years, getting right over the the edge of the circuit at turn in and using the full width of circuit available to her. I guess the question is, who else would find this useful to them ?

4 Would a classroom session with Alan/Phil/Instructors and a video of the circuit for example be of us (obviously not at race pace) picking out features, talking about lines through particular corners.

5 I noticed very few people taking advantage of the FREE suspension setup... Also the FREE innstruction..... Why is that ? Is it not sold well enough pre-event in the chats by Alan in the briefing ?for people, but i didn't see anyone using his services to have their bikes tweaked at all.
    This is obv all from the sidelines

1 Sounds just right for me. I'd like to break my 'duck' with a few other eyes around as possible.

2 I've been taught a lot by ladies. Could we extend that to trackday virgins & other nervous types? Ah-that doesn't come across right because it implies the girls are...well I don't want to be out with a bunch of lunatic testosterone fueled bloke either. Not until I've learnt a bit more anyhow.

3 Now you're talking. Yes, I'd come on Friday for that alone. I learn best from following & watching very attentively.

4 Nothing like as much as 3. TBH it's time isn't it? Is there a video etc online, or even better an interactive one which is all about getting the names & locations of the corners memorised beforehand?

5 I didn't know that was on. I'd have been all over both like a shot!! Gosh-that's a brilliant brucie bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Although I didn't ride this year, one thing that was clear to me was the instructors/marshalls in bibs (one in particular) was basically just racing the clock. His difference in speed in the inters group was farcical. I actually wondered what use he offered out there. He wasn't watching any other riders or he would have seen some shocking overtakes at Honda and had a word with a few people. I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of riding puts people off.
    And that's just sunk it again for me. I am not coming if that's what goes on. I would expect this to have been well & truly nixed, well actually this time but sure for next. Please.

Things I could offer:
    I'm quite tasty on the old BBQ (that was a fabulous range of meats etc you sourced)
    I'm not bunking up with anyone in my van overnight (well obv if there's drama & an emergency of course all can hunker down) but would be silly not to use the load/ seat space to carry anyone else on my vague route & bikes & kit
    I don't have the right kit, but I'm not bad with a DSLR camera. Be nice for everyone to have a record-if nothing else to show off to the kids & have the mrs go, 'very nice dear.'
    Of course everyone can have a buzz around on my old CBR600. It's nothing special (well I dunno actually. It's more than possible X81 did his magic on George a long time ago), but it was Tazzie's & some of the ladies might remember Feisty Girl Racing. So it's a little bit of that & VD history.
    Evening work sounds like a very good use of time.

Have to say Weeksy it looked from here like a really well organised bash. Nice one

Erm, WTF is Pemebery?

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,259 in 818 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    H

Erm, WTF is Pemebery?
    Just past "Where there be dragons", and just before you fall off the side of the world ....

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,587 in 2,179 posts

Some input from me, a perpetual Novice on trackdays (I can't be arsed to do enough a year to get good enough to move upto Inters) I don't want someone telling me how I should ride, I'm happy pootling round in Novice getting the lines wrong and having fun, I don't care how fast I'm going or if I could go faster, I just want to ride my bike somewhere where I can speed without getting knicked, I appreciate this isn't what everyone wants, but I also know I'm not the only person who feels like this.

It's a bit of a moot point as I can't see me going all the way to Pembrey when I've got Snetterton 30 miles away.

5. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 284 in 136 posts

I had an issue with an instructor at the 2013 do.
    There was me riding the Stinky down the straight, when an instructor on a cbr6 barrels by, pulls in front then slams on his anchors. There's me , doing around 20 slower,but well short of my braking. Luckily, I half anticipated what the fella' was doing and avoided what could have been a bit of a nasty coming together.
    Not one to let that go, and thinking the lad had himself a bit of a race in him, I dived up the inside at Debenis and lifted him up.
    It wasn't a surprise when I was met at the end of the session,I assume by one of the Bevan crew to waive finger. He waved me on once I had explained one of his instructors had been a bit of a cuddly boo.

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Nobbynumbnut:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 284 in 136 posts

Oh, Tricky, I think you still have my chair.
    Just sayin'

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,768 in 1,689 posts

As always the event was great, I did have an instructor offer constructive advice but unlike many Iíve no desire to improve or get faster, I can do both if Iím bothered and Iíd rather just ride my bike round. I donít do the Friday as thatís the day I drive down and one day is enough.

I wouldnít change anything tbh

On another note did anyone see my kettle it didnít make it home

Liked 1,024 in 532 posts

I really enjoy the write ups every year.

I WILL make one of these one year to ride. I've watched one, booked the next year, then a work injury stopped me from coming, the last couple of years just haven't been able to make the dates, even though it's only 28 miles from me.

Maybe next year, I'll break my track day duck. I'd find the van/ lesson thing handy. The suspension thing probably wouldn't do much good with my shonker

Liked 3,913 in 1,953 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    I've seen it in previous years, but have to say i didn't see any of it this year myself. Mrs Weeksy did comment she had what she percieved as a strong overtake by one... but not dangerous.

It's always a tricky debate as one persons safe is another persons bonkers... If the guy being mentioned is the one i think, then he is very very unlikely to crash at the speed he was going... .but i can see why it may scare a few... Anyway, i've passed on the thoughts to Alan@PBTD, so lets move on from that one now
    Watching from the outside i could see who was doing what and Josh was absolutely flying round the track with a bib on...... didnt see any instruction by him on the inters and novice sessions i watched and a few "oooooh" moments at his closing speed into the last corner but i didnt see him lift anyone up as he managed to scrub off and drop in behind everyone but a few were close although the riders would have been completely unaware.

In the past i have seen Instructors lift people up while playing through Woodlands but not this year so i would say overall they were better as a group but i can see why people would get freaked out by Josh Day as his speed difference was on a different planet despite being probably well within his comfort zone

12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bigyin:

Liked 1,710 in 1,009 posts

Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post

On another note did anyone see my kettle it didnít make it home
    Funny name for a KTM 799

14. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Claude:

Liked 6,055 in 3,801 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    Watching from the outside i could see who was doing what and Josh was absolutely flying round the track with a bib on...... didnt see any instruction by him on the inters and novice sessions i watched and a few "oooooh" moments at his closing speed into the last corner but i didnt see him lift anyone up as he managed to scrub off and drop in behind everyone but a few were close although the riders would have been completely unaware.

i can see why people would get freaked out by Josh Day as his speed difference was on a different planet
    I haven't a clue who this Josh is, but WTF is he doing riding at that pace in the novice group ? Sounds a bit of a twat really. Just trying to look good.

Liked 6,055 in 3,801 posts
    Blog Entries

The year I was there, a few TRC riders asked me to take them round, as the instructors were either unavailable or unapproachable.

Sadly, I couldn't do so, even though I wanted to.

I'm not having ago at the instructors or the organisers, but things could be improved.

Liked 10,411 in 5,957 posts

I haven't a clue who this Josh is, but WTF is he doing riding at that pace in the novice group ? Sounds a bit of a twat really. Just trying to look good.
    1. He's a racer in BSB/BSS (can't recall, but he's handy for sure) and the current lap record holder at Pembrey.
    2. He wasn't in Novice. However he was in Inters at times.
    3. His overtakes on me were perfectly fine. As i say, it can come down to perception of 'ooooh that was close'... Just because it may have looked close from the outside, doesn't mean it was close in reality... However, and this isn't directed to him, but to ALL instructors i see, they need to remember that people may have just moved out of novice for example and are not necessarily used to a bike on the inside when they're preparing for a turn, it doesn't matter that the person is through and gone way before they actually turn, it's the feeling "ooooh he had my line then".... even if in reality he never.
    4. From people who know him i get the impression he's a lovely kid and would actually be gutted to think he'd put someone off.

Liked 10,411 in 5,957 posts

The year I was there, a few TRC riders asked me to take them round, as the instructors were either unavailable or unapproachable.

Sadly, I couldn't do so, even though I wanted to.

I'm not having ago at the instructors or the organisers, but things could be improved.
    Insurance reasons would be the answer to that.

the instructors are very very approachable, however i think part of that may be me being a chatty Northerner and they need to put themselves about a bit and get to know the paddock.

19. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Liked 1,571 in 692 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Interesting points Weeksy and thanks for bringing them up. A few thoughts, in no particular order.

The instructors - apart from one who I was told followed me for a few laps and another who I saw clearly following someone else in Inters, mostly the only time I saw them after the sighting laps was when they flew past on a mission. I don't have a problem with that as their overtakes were done quickly and safely and they didn't trouble me or anyone else I saw. And I guess is nobody is seeking their advice they may as well enjoy themselves. But the point is well made, you have some very fast and experienced boys out there and it costs nothing to use their expertise, so it's well worth doing. I may give that a go next time out TBH, even though I know my way round there fairly well.

Other riders (Inter group) - I didn't see anything I would describe as bad riding, though it's always a problem in this group if you have slow riders on fast bikes and vice versa. I certainly didn't ride as aggressively as I would have done on a race day but sometimes you just have to go for it if you want to get past someone or else you just sit looking at their butt for 10 minutes. As long as outright dangerous or aggressive riding is noted and acted on I think as the speed groups increase people need to accept things will get a bit more spirited.

Friday - in the past I've loved 2-day race meetings but these days (old git mode) I think I'd find a 2-day trackday a bit much. You put a lot of track time in, like 2 hours riding at your limit and I dunno about you kids but I was feeling it on Sunday (and not just from the beer ). If you can fill a Ladies Day then more power to your elbow but I have a couple of reservations, firstly Alan would be staking an day's expensive track hire on being able to fill the day with enough Ladies. Also some may feel it's a bit condescending being offered a day where it's implicit they are not good enough to mix it with the "Gentlemen". There are some very fast and competent Ladies out there! Possible some other different formulae might be worth exploring, such as running sessions not defined as the traditional groups but instead Ladies, Road legal (with current MoT and road tyres) and ACU?

Evening track tuition - good idea. Three things I often notice about road riders going on track are (1) they don't really understand lines, the principle behind them or how to put them together, (2) they don't trust their brakes and tend to brake really early, and (3) they don't know how to overtake, except on straights. It leads to gaggles circulating, no doubt frustrated at being held up all the way.... You won't make an expert in a few laps of course but just giving people some visibility of what they should be doing could be an eye-opener I think. Maybe even start with a classroom session explaining the basics and track etiquette.

Other tracks - I like Pembrey a lot and PBTD has the advantage of being very flexible with bookings. It'd be nice to go somewhere else but I suspect there's only so many dates and places the TRC massive could put a biggish group together for - and the social at the end of the day is very much one of the highlights.

Lastly, dates and weather. That date works well for me, always has done. The August bank holiday will never guarantee good weather, after all it's the UK, but at least it gives a fair shot at it and lets people have a couple of days to recover. Bear in mind most circuits have some race or another most weekends during the season so there may not be too much choice anyway. One of the great things about this weekend, particularly as it has become something of a fixture (on TRC as well as with PBTD) is it gives us the flexibility to make it more like what we want it to be rather than just going on some completely open day. You don't need to ride to enjoy it, or even arrive on a bike. It's a great social event with bikes thrown in, and worth supporting for that alone
    TCs response above pretty much exactly sums up my experience of both the event just gone and thoughts on Weeksy's suggestions for future changes on every point perfectly , except the 2 dayer bit where we do differ;-
    its a fair old trek for most of us to get there, and 2 days makes it so much better in terms of track-time, for me anyway, particularly with PBTDs current reduced numbers Friday format.
    Friday was a very different atmosphere there IMO, very very laid back, there were people out there to play with if you wanted to, but noticeably less people on track, in the paddock, the cafe queue - everywhere- it just seemed very much less busy and more relaxed.

Fri/Sat is infinitely preferable for me- Sat/Sun just makes it too much of a grind getting home with very little time to chill a bit or do other week-end things / chores etc before I launch into the working week again

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbynumbnut View Post
    Oh, Tricky, I think you still have my chair.
    Just sayin'
    Now I think we've been there more than once before haven't we...

I'm still not sure I ever had your chair, but whatever, it doesn't matter as I bought two new ones for the second day there as I left yours mine in the garage, and I now have more than I could ever need, so if you ever make it to any future TRC trackdays, don't worry about bringing a chair ( even if you have one ), as you can take one of yours mine home

Oh, I still have your mug though, even gets used

21. The following 4 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission