TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first Eastern European Bike Tour

Liked 298 in 162 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My firsr Easte European Bike Tour- Part1

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Rode over to Slovakia earlier this year (no motorail) on my RC8, so doing so on an R1 should not be dismissed out of hand.
    For your next trip, go here on the Croatia/Bosnia border near Bihac;
    http://www.forgottenairfields.com/cr...ljava-s66.html

Two, 2.5km runways in excellent condition, and suitable for some high speed testing. Just DO NOT CROSS the concrete bollards which sections off Bosnia at the end of one of the runways-police can and do lay in wait to arrest those that cross the border here. And don't stray off road-many, many landmines are still buried out there. Amazing place.

2. The following user liked this post made by whysub:

Liked 1,587 in 701 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    Surely leathers are way more ghey than textiles?

Great write up, sounds like a great trip TD.
    Nah, leathers are butch and manly, and unless you're a hardened despatch rider when its allowed, textiles mark you out as uncool, or even worse, an IAM member

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    I think you were on the same train out of Dusseldorf as I was-Saturday 11th August (Guzzi 1200 Sport).

I too have suffered from wrong clothing on previous trips to the Balkans (reached 44c on a few days last trip), so purchased a perforated jacket, kevlar lined armoured jeans and shorter boots. Seemed to make a difference.

Great write up TD. I'll have to sort out doing one for my trip!
    Cheers and FMOB, that is freaky, yep that's the one we were on, was a gang of blokes on Bombardier Spyder trike things on there too? -
    I guess we possibly saw each other on the train or at Innsbruck the next morning, and think I may have a pic of your bike - is this it?

Liked 298 in 162 posts
    Blog Entries

Yep, that's my Guzzi. As the Spyders were moving off to drive on the train I did note two UK bikes turning up and thought "they've cut it fine". Good back story, better than mine for cutting it fine-mine was because I rode to Dusseldorf on a 125cc scooter, and was the last bike to load, about 30 minutes after everyone else and with about two minutes to go before the transporter was shunted out of the loading area.

Liked: 1/1

A great article. I am planning a trip to Poland. Your entry is a great inspiration.

6. The following user liked this post made by xMan:

A Bit Bored
    Liked: 1/1

Quote Originally Posted by xMan View Post
    A great article. I am planning a trip to Poland. Your entry is a great inspiration.
    Sounds like fun. Never been to Poland before.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 9 in 8 posts

Great report. Not for me though as I like a more (cough...) developed environment...

Two questions if I may:

1) how much was the train per person?

2) If you had remained in Austria/Dolomites/Southern Germany, with the same 12 days available, would you still have considered the train or would you have preferred to travel to the destination through, say, the Rhine or Mosel? Obviously the answer to 1) plays a role in this.

Thanks
    O

Liked 298 in 162 posts
    Blog Entries

I'm going over to Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia again in August. For three of us going and sharing a 4 berth compartment both there and back works out at just over 320 each. It probably works out expensive if you consider you will have more time in the countries you want to visit rather than getting there.

The worst thing about the train going to Innsbruck (it used to go to Villach and Vienna on the eastern side of the country) is to get to Slovenia you have to use the SS49 road through Italy. It's not great because I have never seen so many bad drivers on one road in my life. Love to avoid it, but it is the quickest and most direct route to get to where we WANT to get to.
    If you are wanting to just do Germany, which has some great roads, you can ride to the Moselle Vally, say at Koblenz Guls, easily within a days ride from Calais. Look at a map of where you want to go, and then consider whats the best option for your trip-its a five to six hour (comfortable) ride to Dusseldorf, loading at 19.30 pm for a 20.54 departure, arriving at Innsbruck at about 08.00 the next day.

Seeing as service to both Villach and Vienna have been stopped, how much longer will the service to Innsbruck continue? There are not many bikes or cars that use it, but lots of foot passengers do. Would be easy to drop the car and bike transport carridge and put a couple more people carrying coaches on.

Liked 749 in 354 posts

you had our weather! we didn't go much for the serb authorities either

A Bit Bored
    Liked 9 in 8 posts

Thanks Whysub!

I have a project to do Southern France/ Northern Italy and back via Bavaria/Rhine Valley. After what you write, I think when I am ready (I need a new job with more paid holidays!) I would prefer to just take more holiday and ride through rural France (and up through the German countryside) than have the added cost of the train to save a couple of days on the saddle. I travel on my own so it would be rather more than the 320 if I want a bit more privacy/comfort.

Liked 298 in 162 posts
    Blog Entries

Also forgot to add that booking tickets via the OBB website is a most frustrating experience. You have to.make two seperate bookings (one for the bike, one for yourself). I've used the train six or seven times now, but for this year I asked a mate who lives in Vienna to go into Vienna station and book the three of us and our bikes on. He said that it wasn't easy either.

The website, should you wish to cost it out, is here :https://www.nightjet.com/en/ausstatt...utschland.html

See also the "Riding in France" thread here. Riding through France has its pitfalls ( just ask my brother!).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission