Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Staggeringly bad driving

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,315 in 1,582 posts

Default Re: Staggeringly bad driving

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    I suspect the red / amber phase is a hangover from the days when shifting gear was a lengthy process.

Personally I can't see the point, if the interval timing between one direction going red and the other going to green is adequate.
    You obviously haven't been sat behind the local octogenarians. Shifting from neutral to first IS a lengthy process. They need about a week's warning that a green light is next.

Liked 3,491 in 2,366 posts
    Blog Entries

I suspect the red / amber phase is a hangover from the days when shifting gear was a lengthy process.
    Even in the good old days of no synchromesh on first gear, getting into gear from neutral was only slow if the idle was too fast or the clutch was dragging. Even if you had a touch of those problems, sticking it in second then into first was a way of avoiding crunchiness.

3. The following user liked this post made by ink ink:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 720 in 423 posts

Today's Deliveroo moped mayhem...

Filtering up the nearside as I'm filtering up the outside of a queue towards a pelican crossing... lights go red, he swings between two cars and straight out in front of me without looking (I saw him coming), nearly wobbles his box into the car ahead... shoots up the outside of the queue, then round the wrong side of the keep left island, through the lights which are still red, and straight between the pedestrians crossing the other side of the road.

I still manage the odd moderately positive bit of filtering, but even in my despatching days, I never went through a red light on a crossing and I rarely went the wrong side of a keep left sign.

Personally I think it's time Deliveroo and the other fast food companies were booted off the road.

5. The following 3 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 1,460 in 901 posts

Today's Deliveroo moped mayhem...

Filtering up the nearside as I'm filtering up the outside of a queue towards a pelican crossing... lights go red, he swings between two cars and straight out in front of me without looking (I saw him coming), nearly wobbles his box into the car ahead... shoots up the outside of the queue, then round the wrong side of the keep left island, through the lights which are still red, and straight between the pedestrians crossing the other side of the road.

I still manage the odd moderately positive bit of filtering, but even in my despatching days, I never went through a red light on a crossing and I rarely went the wrong side of a keep left sign.

Personally I think it's time Deliveroo and the other fast food companies were booted off the road.
    This is the common mad riding I see of such ilk. They have one mission, to get the package/food/goods to destination in as little time as possible. The rules of the road do not apply. They would make MotoGP seem boring.

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,132 in 2,400 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Makman View Post
    They would make MotoGP seem boring.
    Not if they also delivered pizza

Really Bored
    Liked 329 in 217 posts

I wonder how much of it's because they are delivering food and how much because, often, they've only done CBT? It's about eight years ago, now, but when my wife did her CBT there were a couple of guys, recently arrived from India, I think, who were such a danger to themselves and others that the instructor ended up screaming at them and didn't give them their certificate. Maybe there are others of similar ilk who get lucky?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 720 in 423 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    I wonder how much of it's because they are delivering food and how much because, often, they've only done CBT? It's about eight years ago, now, but when my wife did her CBT there were a couple of guys, recently arrived from India, I think, who were such a danger to themselves and others that the instructor ended up screaming at them and didn't give them their certificate. Maybe there are others of similar ilk who get lucky?
    My guess is that some of it is a culture of riding and driving imported, some of it is time pressure and the need to be seen to be efficient to get repeat work (something I recall from my despatch time - I used to get a lot of long jobs because I could reliably read a map and find an address in the middle of nowhere in pre-satnav days but I didn't get a lot of multidrop local stuff because I never hurried ), and some of it is gung-ho peer pressure.

The despatch association brought in a voluntary code of conduct back in the 80s which (AFAIR) involved not using learners but as courier work imploded around that time thanks to fax machines, it never really got tested. 30 years on and the fast-food 'rent-a-rider' companies aren't paying any attention to that code.

10. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 2,506 in 1,646 posts

The despatch association brought in a voluntary code of conduct back in the 80s which (AFAIR) involved not using learners but as courier work imploded around that time thanks to fax machines, it never really got tested. 30 years on and the fast-food 'rent-a-rider' companies aren't paying any attention to that code.
    Roll on ahead a few years, 3D printed food?

Liked 2,072 in 1,411 posts

When I did my accelerated CBT back in 2000 there was a Pizza delivery guy from one of the big chain on his liveried bike with all the pizza chains clothing. He was sent packing after an hour as he had never sat on a bike before.

Really Bored
    Liked 329 in 217 posts

Quote Originally Posted by LondonDRZ View Post
    When I did my accelerated CBT
    What's an 'accelerated CBT'? Does it mean bombing around like a fast food delivery rider?

14. The following user liked this post made by Scootabout:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 720 in 423 posts

What's an 'accelerated CBT'? Does it mean bombing around like a fast food delivery rider?
    I assume it was a 'repeat' for people who'd already taken one... it's now described as 'client centred training' by the DVSA.

Should Get Out More Londongal76's Avatar
    Liked 1,234 in 724 posts
    Blog Entries

This one is also incredible, and kinda mesmerising to watch. Be free little van, fly!

Caught by a bikers helmet cam, he did really well to not get tartet fixation. He did stop and go back, it's just not on this part of the video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...eborough-crash

17. The following user liked this post made by Londongal76:

Liked 1,644 in 837 posts

time pressure and the need to be seen to be efficient to get repeat work (something I recall from my despatch time - I used to get a lot of long jobs because I could reliably read a map and find an address in the middle of nowhere in pre-satnav days but I didn't get a lot of multidrop local stuff because I never hurried ), and some of it is gung-ho peer pressure.
    When I applied for a pizza delivery job about 13 years ago I told Pizza the Boss I had a full bike licence and would be happy to ride a company moped. He told me he actually preferred owner-operator car drivers because they actually worked for a living, they didn't ride over pedestrian bridges, didn't stop off to deal weed when they should have been working and didn't crash into cars/people/the scenery (although I did write my Primera off during a pizza drop). I never actually rode a shop moped.

I guess Bath being a small city makes a difference too - it was small enough that it only had one Dominoes outlet (rather than one per ghetto like Bristol) so the coverage was pretty big. The mopeds covered the tight town centre bits and the cars did all the housing estates on the steep hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Londongal76 View Post
    Caught by a bikers helmet cam, he did really well to not get tartet fixation. He did stop and go back, it's just not on this part of the video.
    There's been some discussion about this on Facebook, some people claim it's fake. That particular version has the timestamp blurred but on the other Facebook vid you can see it's been sped up - the seconds are ticking past too quickly. Some people also claim the van seems to go through the signs without damaging them (although I personally think it's an issue of perspective.) Other people are asking where the van is on the other side of the roundabout.

I personally think it's just the fast playback speed that makes it look a bit surreal.

It's not helmet cam footage though - the angle is too low for helmet cam, and if it was bike-mounted it would lean with the corners. I'd hazard it's a car dashcam.

19. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Mad Ax:

Should Get Out More Londongal76's Avatar
    Liked 1,234 in 724 posts
    Blog Entries

Sadly for the conspiracy theorists, the police confirmed it happened on the 1st September, and the videos aren't fake/sped up, and also that it was captured on a helmet cam of a motorcyclist.

'The footage, caught by a camera on the helmet of motorcyclist Andy Daynes, shows a silver van swerve past a white van on the inside lane before hitting the roundabout at speed.'

Should Get Out More
    Liked 720 in 423 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Londongal76 View Post
    Sadly for the conspiracy theorists, the police confirmed it happened on the 1st September, and the videos aren't fake/sped up, and also that it was captured on a helmet cam of a motorcyclist.

'The footage, caught by a camera on the helmet of motorcyclist Andy Daynes, shows a silver van swerve past a white van on the inside lane before hitting the roundabout at speed.'
    Well, it definitely ISN'T a helmet cam.

And it's so obviously not a helmet cam I don't know why anyone would suggest it is.

The BBC story your link points at says: "Dashcam footage".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum