TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scalpel - New Bike thread

Liked 5,455 in 2,934 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Scalpel - New Bike thread

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Wiki Says:

The KTM 790 Duke is a naked parallel-twin motorcycle, manufactured by KTM from 2017. The Duke's 799 cc (48.8 cu in) liquid cooled eight-valve DOHC engine uses a 285 crankshaft in order to mimic KTM's 75 V-Twins. Its power output is 105 bhp.

2. The following user liked this post made by GiantPygmy:

Blog Entries

Shame its only got a 14 litre tank, its right in the "perfect bike" zone for me apart from that. Glad you're enjoying it. I wonder why they haven't done a White / orange version like the 390, maybe there's a 790R on the way?

Liked 2,257 in 1,160 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Wiki Says: (stuff)
    Interesting, nothing about that on KTM's own website. Marketing outweighing engineering, never something I'm fond of, but they seem to have made a good job of it anyhoo.

Liked 2,257 in 1,160 posts

Shame its only got a 14 litre tank, its right in the "perfect bike" zone for me apart from that. Glad you're enjoying it. I wonder why they haven't done a White / orange version like the 390, maybe there's a 790R on the way?
    The Adventure will have a larger tank of course, and they're already quoting a 400kms range, but I think rather than adding fuel capacity and weight their emphasis has been on fuel efficiency to make each litre go further.

And there is an orange version (not white though).

6. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    The Adventure will have a larger tank of course, and they're already quoting a 400kms range, but I think rather than adding fuel capacity and weight their emphasis has been on fuel efficiency to make each litre go further.

And there is an orange version (not white though).
    My only misgiving is the ADV will be really tall, looks like its got a plank seat, that said, I can touch the ground just on the 1050..

Liked 3,786 in 1,932 posts

My only misgiving is the ADV will be really tall, looks like its got a plank seat, that said, I can touch the ground just on the 1050..
    Its a KTM, of course it will have a plank seat .... a solid plank at that

9. The following user liked this post made by Bigyin:

Liked 122 in 65 posts

Congrats on the new bike and have fun!

11. The following user liked this post made by stray cat:

Liked 1,788 in 1,170 posts

Shame its only got a 14 litre tank, its right in the "perfect bike" zone for me apart from that.
    Depends a bit on the MPG. Obviously it won't do big miles per tank but it might be reasonable/comparable to other fun bikes. Got to say I read loads about the 690 having a small tank (13 litres) but in practice in normal riding it'll do more miles to the light than my 96 Blade, Firestorm (the larger tanked one), R6 (with a 17 litre tank) etc. And I happily rode the Blade to the S of F. Best I've managed was about 158 miles and the light still hadn't come on (usually does around 130-140 depending how I ride it) and it only took about 11 litres odd.

13. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    Depends a bit on the MPG. Obviously it won't do big miles per tank but it might be reasonable/comparable to other fun bikes. Got to say I read loads about the 690 having a small tank (13 litres) but in practice in normal riding it'll do more miles to the light than my 96 Blade, Firestorm (the larger tanked one), R6 (with a 17 litre tank) etc. And I happily rode the Blade to the S of F. Best I've managed was about 158 miles and the light still hadn't come on (usually does around 130-140 depending how I ride it) and it only took about 11 litres odd.
    Yep, I'm over optimistic - Its only the commuting range that makes the difference, but my current contract ends in a couple of months so I won't have the need for a 160 miles per day range

I once toured a small tank VTR round France - much to the annoyance of my riding friends!

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by GiantPygmy:

Liked 1,535 in 673 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post

Amusing that for a bike that its owners love so much this one has had 3 different owners in about 6 months
    That did make me smile, but ahem, get your facts right TC- bit of a wild exageration there- 6 months old my arse!

(it's actually just turned 3 months old )

But to give that some context :

• Owner No 1 needed to free up some cash- it happens
    • Owner No 2 is err, well, few who know him would deny that he's a special case, or I suppose we could just say just "special" so I don't think it's fair to count him as an owner in the conventional sense (although granted, yes he most definitely did own it )
    • Owner 3 is me and it's going nowhere for a good while yet, unless it manages to seriously upset me in some way by going bang or otherwise letting me down- me and the black and silver one have bonded very well, I am in love and I feel that we have many many more adventures to have together before we might even think about separating

17. The following 9 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

Liked 1,535 in 673 posts

DHL man brought some goodies today, which have allowed me to get rid of the banana-willy can and tidy up the look of the rad which I think looks unfinished and like there's a bit missing on the standard one.

Very pleased with the Wings exhaust, lovely quality throughout IMO, comes with everything you need to fit it and also a includes a T-shirt, and a key ring with a miniature Wings end can on it

It cleans the look up nicely IMO (see post #1 for a pic of the bike with the standard can), and with the Db killer in, which is how I intend to run it, it's pretty much the perfect volume for my taste on the road- not really significantly louder than standard, but quite a bit deeper and more gruff sounding.
    It's on the Dyno week after next for an ECU reflash, which |I'm expecting good results from, so we'll try it with Db killer in and out to see what difference, if any, that makes to the power.

Next item on the list is the powerparts rear seat cowl to replace the pillion seat, and I think I'll try some different front pads too- brakes as standard are good but not a patch on the likes of M50s, and I would prefer them to have a little more initial bite, so will see if a change of pad material sharpens them up a bit

19. The following 11 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

+ Show/Hide list of likes

Blog Entries

^^^^
    Nicely done, Good work.
    That looks a LOT better than stock. I wonder once you've got it all sorted, an R version will be released looking just like this! (except with all the orange of course)

21. The following user liked this post made by GiantPygmy:

Liked 9,810 in 5,117 posts

I really like that bike. The lack of orange frame is probably the key for me?! Sweet ride Dude, as those Californians will say!

23. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 1,694 in 1,003 posts

Default The Scalpel - New Bike thread

Looks belting that!
    If I ever do decide the mv is too much I may well revisit

25. The following user liked this post made by Claude:

Liked 10,324 in 5,907 posts

^^^^
    Nicely done, Good work.
    That looks a LOT better than stock. I wonder once you've got it all sorted, an R version will be released looking just like this! (except with all the orange of course)
    Apparently not. KTM are doing 2 adv models, base and R. No 790 Duke R according to dealer on Tuesday

27. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission