TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scalpel - New Bike thread

Liked 1,543 in 675 posts

Default The Scalpel - New Bike thread

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    As anyone who was at Pembrey last week-end, or who has read my post on the event will know, I rode couchie's 790 there, and not putting too fine a point on it, loved it far (far far) more than I was expecting to , and so I did what any sensible person in a position to do so would do and took advantage of couchie's butterfly-like bike buying and selling habit and bought it off him
    I now have a couple of decent road rides and a tank and a bit of fuel behind me on it so thought I'd share some of my initial thoughts

tl:dr - I love it as much, if not more on the road as I did on the track

it really is quite brilliant overall as a package. I still think it's pretty dull looking, but well, the truth is I don't even really care about that anymore.
    The motor is superb, I love almost all V twins anyway, but this one's an absoloute peach- very strong low down and mid-range, and wheelies off the throttle with ease in 2nd, and although I've found myself bumping into the rev limiter a few times going up through the gears , I think that's because it revs relatively quickly, the power not tailing off like it does on a lot of bikes and me just getting used to it.

I've been experimenting with the different engine modes, and have pretty much settled on "Street" for road riding- the abruptness of Track and to lesser extent Sport modes isn't there, and so its much nicer tootling through traffic, but it doesn't seem to affect the keen-ness of the motor or limit power in any way.
    And a potentially very useful thing about the electronics on it is, you can still use "Street" engine mode in " Track" mode (which allows you to independently adjust or disable anti-wheelie, TC, ABS etc)

The handling is effortless, it truly does feel as light and easy as the 390 on the move, but totally stable and neutral too. You sit in it, and the footrests feel quite low and the riding position is dead comfy for me.
    When I first saw one in a dealers, I was put off by the relatively cheap looking suspension and one or two other details, but I was wrong to be- its perhaps a little choppy at lowish speeds on the bumpy stuff, but pretty much perfect for me overall- even if I could twiddle with the suspension on this one, I honestly don't think I would be at the moment;- The best way that I can describe it is like a Tuono or Superduke 990 that has been on a serious diet, had the gearbox improved and been updated with some of the best electronics aids you'll find on any bike, irrespective of purchase price.

So far it seems pretty frugal too- I averaged 54mpg on my first tankful- that might not sound particularly impressive but for 90% of it I was riding like a twat, and it also included top speed run checks too and is 2 or 3 mpg more than I average on the 390. The MT would definitely have been in the 30s with the same sort of use, and it makes me think that more sensible riding would be it up in the 60s
    I think it sounds great as standard but I hate the look of the banana-shape end can, so chances are that may get changed, purely for aesthetic reasons, along with the number-plate hanger
    The only other bad thing about it so far for me is that the 390 bar-end mirror doesn't fit it, so am going to have to buy the KTM power parts one, as the standard type mirrors really do spoil the look of it IMO

So, in summary, it fills a perfect compromise as a brilliant road AND track bike for me. The MT10 is still my bike of choice for big trips or just being really silly on, but realistically, I can't really see the poor little 390 getting much of a look-in now it's very much manlier big brother is on the scene, so the poor little being put back to standard, and will be sold as soon as I get around to it.
    Maybe

And here is The Scalpel, resting in the sun today after a damn good thrashing.
    It's even made me want to do more trackdays- the last bike that did that was my ZX10R back in 2005....

2. The following 24 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

+ Show/Hide list of likes

Liked 258 in 141 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Scalpel - New Bike thread

I tried one out at the local KTM dealer after a mate told me I had to try it. I thought that it was just another parallel twin like the BMW 800, so didn't ever consider it, as I disliked the BMW.

But it is brilliant-feels like a v-twin but isn't, KTM built it to feel that way. Much as I liked it, it won't do all the stuff I need my bikes to do, and this won't do them-but will do other stuff that I would only use infrequently.

4. The following user liked this post made by whysub:

Liked 3,823 in 1,934 posts

Given how much you rated it at pembrey on track the purchase wasnt much of a surprise, just that it took you till about 2200 that night

More of a surprise is how much you rate it on the road....... happy purchase all round

6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bigyin:

Liked 6,142 in 3,177 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    The motor is superb, I love almost all V twins anyway, but this one's an absoloute peach- very strong low down and mid-range, and wheelies off the throttle with ease in 2nd...
    It's a parallel twin right?

8. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Liked 1,694 in 1,003 posts

Iím not surprised, itís a brilliant road bike.
    I was very tempted but the mv had already caught my eye and was the same money.
    From my rides so far, the KTM engine is far friendlier than the MV but thatís expected giving the 40bhp deficit. I guess that was part of the appeal though can always short shift
    Handling comparisons is tough to call as Iím on squared off rubber at the moment, hopefully being sorted this week.

10. The following user liked this post made by Claude:

Liked 1,543 in 675 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    It's a parallel twin right?
    Yes and no- yes, as that's how it's physically laid out, and no in the conventional (ie 180 or 360 crank throw and firing interval ) parallel twin sense- the crankpins are offset by 75 degrees, so the engine has the characteristics of a V - it sounds like a souped-up CX500.

Which is a good thing in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I’m not surprised, it’s a brilliant road bike.
    I was very tempted but the mv had already caught my eye and was the same money.
    From my rides so far, the KTM engine is far friendlier than the MV but that’s expected giving the 40bhp deficit. I guess that was part of the appeal though can always short shift
    Handling comparisons is tough to call as I’m on squared off rubber at the moment, hopefully being sorted this week.
    I admittedly haven't ridden any of the 800 MVs, but I'd be amazed if there is a 40 hp difference- does it really have 140 at the wheel? - the 790 has a real 100

12. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Yes and no- yes, as that's how it's physically laid out, and no in the conventional (ie 180 or 360 crank throw and firing interval ) parallel twin sense- the crankpins are offset by 75 degrees, so the engine has the characteristics of a V - it sounds like a souped-up CX500.

I didn’t know that.

Liked 3,220 in 1,622 posts

If I had the cash, I'd make an offer on the 390!!! LOL LOL

Good to read about the 790 as thats on my list for when I think I can handle a bigger bike again

15. The following user liked this post made by Noggin:

Liked 1,491 in 1,046 posts
    Blog Entries

lovely write-up & always lovely to have bikes kept 'within the family' too.

Yes, that end can is painful on my eye. OTOH if you're on it you don't see it.

17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Editor:

I admittedly haven't ridden any of the 800 MVs, but I'd be amazed if there is a 40 hp difference- does it really have 140 at the wheel? - the 790 has a real 100
    I though the 100bhp figure was crank for the KTM?
    140 is the given figure. RWHP no idea. Arse dyno felt a massive difference. The KTM felt the same power wise as my old 1100 Monster which if I recall was around 120 crank?!

Default The Scalpel - New Bike thread

A (very) quick google suggests 123 or so rwhp.
    Last edited by Claude; 03-09-18 at 08:25.

Though Visordown have it at 138....

https://www.visordown.com/features/m...top-10s/part-2

Liked 1,543 in 675 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I though the 100bhp figure was crank for the KTM?
    140 is the given figure. RWHP no idea. Arse dyno felt a massive difference. The KTM felt the same power wise as my old 1100 Monster which if I recall was around 120 crank?!
    Yeah, you're probably right, I think KTM's stated figure is about 100, but from what I have seen in UK tests ( only 2 and have to confess, have only started reading them since I've got it ) that seems to be what its producing at the rear wheel .

Whatever, it feels lively to me for "only" 100hp, and very comparable shove-wise with my old V2 Tuonos (both of which I had dynoed , one was 116 the other 119) so I guess the lighter weight or lighter engine internals/state of tune etc helps it feel that way .
    Obviously 1/4 mile times , top gear roll-ons and and top speed etc ultimately give the true picture, but what is definitely true on 'fly by wire' bikes is that the mapping, and what mode you run them in makes a massive difference to how potent they feel, not like the good old days when you knew that opening the throttle 50% you were getting 50% !

22. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Dunno about bhp, but in a drag race my MV was always dead level with my mates Multistrada and I used to beat my other mate on his 1098 up to 100mph+, although personally I think he’s limp wristed.

The MV is very fast for an 800, the litre-plus bikes needed a good straight to get away, although to be fair once the big Ducatis got on a decent straight they were gone, but that’s with 200bhp.

24. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Liked 2,257 in 1,160 posts

Is it 75 degrees? Usually the parallel twins that are "V-ified" use 90 degrees (or 270 degrees if you prefer). It's not the inherent perfect primary balance of a V-twin but it does allow the engine to be balanced with a much smaller balancer than a 360 or 180 parallel twin. It's the same as the old TRX850 and the ER-6. But yeah, anyone who'd read around the bike knows it's a cracking little thing, very compact for the power it develops. And I agree about the silencer, that's dog ugly and needs to go.

Amusing that for a bike that its owners love so much this one has had 3 different owners in about 6 months

26. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Tomcat:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission