TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Using old routers as Wireless Access Points?

Liked 1,686 in 1,005 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Using old routers as Wireless Access Points?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    After following this thread - https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Rou...t/td-p/1385192 to the letter, I managed to get a much stronger WiFi connection to the basement in the house.

However, we are having to repeatedly put laptops and ipads in and out of Flight Mode to establish a connection which kinda defeats the point!

The main router is brand new from Sky so is set up as standard (I haven't even opened up a port to allow remote access to my plex server).

The only fixed IP address is the second router with 192.168.0.200

What options / settings should I be checking / changing to get this to work? I am hoping to add another Sky router as a WAP for upstairs as well.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 65 in 38 posts

Default Re: Using old routers as Wireless Access Points?

I use an old Plusnet router as an ap Connected to my main tp-link one. Pretty much set up as per the link you posted except that I have the ssid set the same on both of them. Laptops and iPhones connect to the ap automatically when signal from the main one drops

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,566 in 1,532 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    After following this thread - https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Rou...t/td-p/1385192 to the letter, I managed to get a much stronger WiFi connection to the basement in the house.

However, we are having to repeatedly put laptops and ipads in and out of Flight Mode to establish a connection which kinda defeats the point!

The main router is brand new from Sky so is set up as standard (I haven't even opened up a port to allow remote access to my plex server).

The only fixed IP address is the second router with 192.168.0.200

What options / settings should I be checking / changing to get this to work? I am hoping to add another Sky router as a WAP for upstairs as well.
    Personally I wouldn't set it up how has been advised in that thread, I'd leave the main router as it is, the secondary router I'd set up the WAN Ethernet port as DHCP (so that it gets an address from the main router), the LAN side of the router I'd setup with a different IP address range to the main and use it as a DHCP server, different SSIDs on each router.

Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Kinda makes sense but I was hoping to have a seamless SSID throughout the house...

Is changing the IP range as simple as changing from 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 with each router / WAP having a fixed IP address in the DCHP pool of the router 1?

Yes, it's that simple, router doesn't have to have a fixed IP, you can have the same SSID on all APs, some devices are fine with this some aren't, it recall depends on the wireless card in the device and the drivers, if possible use manufacturers drivers, avoid using Windows Zero Configurator.

If you want to copy files between devices within your network the setup I've suggested may give problems without some routing configuration.

These little networks can be quite fun and interesting, but that's possibly because my day job is looking after a big network, but it also means I trnd to think in terms of a big network with plenty of budget.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Yes, it's that simple, router doesn't have to have a fixed IP, you can have the same SSID on all APs, some devices are fine with this some aren't, it recall depends on the wireless card in the device and the drivers, if possible use manufacturers drivers, avoid using Windows Zero Configurator.

If you want to copy files between devices within your network the setup I've suggested may give problems without some routing configuration.

These little networks can be quite fun and interesting, but that's possibly because my day job is looking after a big network, but it also means I trnd to think in terms of a big network with plenty of budget.

That might create an issue...

The media server is accessed by two macbooks, two Win10 laptops, two iPads, a TV and various Roku boxes
    The printer is connected to the LAN and is accessed by iPhones, Android phones, iPads, Win10 laptops and macbooks
    The house is populated with women...

Hence trying to get the same SSIDs, same IP pool and as much simplicity as possible!

That might create an issue...

The media server is accessed by two macbooks, two Win10 laptops, two iPads, a TV and various Roku boxes
    The printer is connected to the LAN and is accessed by iPhones, Android phones, iPads, Win10 laptops and macbooks
    The house is populated with women...

Hence trying to get the same SSIDs, same IP pool and as much simplicity as possible!
    In that case it might work better with each router acting as a DHCP server but with both having seperate addresses within the same range ie;

Router 1

IP Address 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

DHCP Scope
    192.168.1.100 - 199

Router 2

IP Address 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

DHCP Scope
    192.168.1.200 - 254

Note that both routers DHCP scopes use router 1 as the default gateway, this should also be the DNS server.

This is only a suggestion and as with anything in IT there are several ways to achieve the same result.

8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 589 in 328 posts
    Blog Entries

You can piss around tryimg to bodge kit to do a job it wasn't designed to do or you can do it properly and get a couple of these.

https://www.ebuyer.com/735739-ubiqui...cess-point-uap

They are superb bits of kit for the money, the only caveat is that they seem a bit fussy about what sort of device they pick up dhcp from. That and its frustrating that they dont use standard POE but that shouldn't affect you.

10. The following user liked this post made by wheelnut:

Liked 1,439 in 1,007 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
    You can piss around tryimg to bodge kit to do a job it wasn't designed to do or you can do it properly and get a couple of these.

They are superb bits of kit for the money, the only caveat is that they seem a bit fussy about what sort of device they pick up dhcp from. That and its frustrating that they dont use standard POE but that shouldn't affect you.
    Wotcha! Now I know you know what you're talking about so that has to be expert advice, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post

I have 1/2 dozen virtually brand new wifi routers knocking about & a lack of 60!

Here's my very minor would-be-nicer. From the very edge of the roofing space in this bungalow to the opposite separate brick built garage = 20 meters. I did rest one on top of something in the back of the wardrobe & it just, just, about gets a signal to the garage. If you have your device virtually against the brick wall in the garage. Take a step backwards & it's gone.

Now-might the fabled tube of pringles mod or the curved beer can reflector give it just enough ooomph to get it though do you reckon? Or something else.

Or seeing as it's just a bit of lawn in the way, stop fucking about & bury a Cat whatever we're up to now cable in & have it the garage hard wired in? That way of course I can have as many routers as I fancy in the garage & have wifi to the driveway in front of it so I can look at something on a tablet etc whilst it's balanced on top of the engine etc.

Blog Entries

As I was up early this morning, I have set the main router up with a DCHP range of 192.168.0.2 - 85, router two with a fixed IP of 192.168.0.85 and a range of 86-170 and router three with IP of 84 and range of 171 - 254.

Devices hard wired into to router 2 have IP addresses in the correct range for the router, my phone was connecting to router 2 (as determined by the Wifi channel number) but had an IP in router 1 pool...

WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post

I suspect i will end up going this way once I have installed the Cat 5/6 network in the house. The wife sees that lower down the list of jobs than I do! However my total spend on Sky routers is less than 10 so if it works it works, if it doesn't, I have lost nothing but time (and sleep this morning!).

Bit of a shame about the POE as I have a standard POE switch in the house (bought to run the CCTV but I then got a cracking deal on a NVR)

Blog Entries

Just been wasting my employer's time... My router is a Sky Q router apparently and isn't compatible with the Ubiquiti Access point. Apparently I need Sky Q boosters.

Edit ...that sky don't seem to sell any longer and when speaking to their tech dept, the guy I spoke to suggested I bought TP Link wifi extenders.

Did anyone mention Mornington Crescent? I appear to have arrived there after this thread and https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/thre...hernet-Network

I'll see how the current config works once I have installed router 3 upstairs and report back.
    Last edited by Silly Car; 10-09-18 at 12:48.

Blog Entries

Just been wasting my employer's time... My router is a Sky Q router apparently and isn't compatible with the Ubiquiti Access point. Apparently I need Sky Q boosters.

Edit ...that sky don't seem to sell any longer and when speaking to their tech dept, the guy I spoke to suggested I bought TP Link wifi extenders.

Did anyone mention Mornington Crescent? I appear to have arrived there after this thread and https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/thre...hernet-Network

I'll see how the current config works once I have installed router 3 upstairs and report back.
    Got home, couldn’t access inter webs via modem two, fucked it off for the day / week / month / year!

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission