TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Repeat after me: "BikeSafe is NOT training".

Liked 2,567 in 1,678 posts

Default Re: Repeat after me: "BikeSafe is NOT training".

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    But it still doesn't mean that their training is the same as mine in either content or philosophy. We still approach riding from very different angles.
    That's a mild understatement

Should Get Out More
    Liked 737 in 435 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    That's a mild understatement
    And hopefully, a neutral observer (sic) would also see that it's not 'putting down' the IAM to say that.

Liked 511 in 289 posts
    Blog Entries

In this case it's quite clearly a statement of fact.

I was discussing the truly appalling piece of road design, that catches drivers out because they were not expecting to find a four-inch high kerb directly in front of them. In this instance, it caught out some riders who have better-than-average skills.
    I think you, me and the six people who liked it recognised it for the sarky comment that it was

But back to your own statement: "this whole premise of putting down other trainers and training methods is becoming old and tiresome." Stating that there is a difference between structured training - as explained by Horse - and what BikeSafe sets out to achieve is not 'putting down' anyone. It's simply differentiating between what they do. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.
    Bikesafe at it's most basic level is as assessed ride with a few generic pointers thrown in at the end. If you're lucky it can be a lot more tailored. Same for IAM/ROSPA. It all depends on who you get and the effort they're willing to put into it and the experience they have as tutors. In fact it's the same for pro trainers - I'm being cynical here but I suspect some ex police pro trainers just rehash bikesafe. It's all training, it just varies in quality and depth.

As for the IAM, they've made great strides in improving the way they deliver knowledge to the associates with the new syllabus.
    Perhaps, but see above. It's a lottery. You get a good one then happy days. You get a bad one then you won't get very much from it at all.

But it still doesn't mean that their training is the same as mine in either content or philosophy. We still approach riding from very different angles.
    Vive la difference!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission