TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear...

Liked 5,586 in 3,497 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Oh Dear...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Last week my trusty old 12v power screwdriver gave up the ghost and my main 240v drill packed up today. Had them both many years and had my money's worth out of them. Both Wickes, which are re-branded Draper stuff.

The good news is that I have to go buy some shiney new ones. The boss is in the UK for a week so can buy whatever I want
    Last edited by Yorick; 07-09-18 at 22:43.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,625 in 2,900 posts

Default Re: Oh Dear...

Had them both many years
    So they're of an age before built in obsolescence? Fix em before replacing em.

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,808 in 2,725 posts

FWIW I thought long and hard about getting a decent drill/driver and went for the Bosch GSR12V-15 Flexclic system.

It is surprisingly powerful but not for "big jobs" like drilling masonry or all day use in the field. For that, I'd want a big mains hammer drill. This is more for general purpose workshop use. It will drive six inch screws straight through joists quite easily, there's plenty of power but I use it mostly as a power screwdriver or for delicate drilling where access is more of an issue.

It has interchangeable heads and they work brilliantly. You generally swap between the hex driver and the chuck (rather than swap the bit out in a chuck, you effectively swap chucks). I thought tht might be a chore but in practice it works really well. The right angle and offset hex drive is something I wouldn't want to be without. Its surprising how often you need it and when you need it, nothing else would do for getting into nooks and crannies.

This one is not a brushless motor because that wasn't available at the time. Although I would have preferred brushless, this has all the power you need and very good battery life. I thoroughly recommend it - especially if someone else is paying...

4. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Screwdriver:

Liked 9,322 in 4,851 posts

Bought a 18v Makita a few years ago. Comes with 2 batteries and is 30 minutes charge. Does everything i've ever asked of it, and surprised me when going though 1930s hard as fecking nails concrete render and the adjustable screw setting was superb for putting flat pack stuff together without stripping out the threads etc.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...bi-drill/99631

6. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 2,540 in 1,512 posts

Makita here too.
    The batts do go eventually but the body is pretty unkillable.
    Pricey but you'll deffo buy more than once in most other brands, depends how much you use them.

Most telling is how often you see trades using them (or dewalt to be fair)

8. The following user liked this post made by DefTrap:

My (Builder) mate has a Makita and it has a little torch light that comes on when you pull the trigger. How I laughed at his gimmicky drill and then he said you try being accurate when using a drill in a dark confined space. He's right, that often happens, and my next drill will have such a torch.

10. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Blog Entries

So are 18v drill/driver jobbies as good as 240v jobbies ? That'd make my life so much easier.

If I get a good 18/20v jobby, will I need a 240v one as well? Most of the work is drilling holes for rawl plugs anyway
    Last edited by Yorick; 10-09-18 at 15:31.

Liked 1,279 in 733 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    So are 18v drill/driver jobbies as good as 240v jobbies ? That'd make my life so much easier.
    Pretty much. I have a Dewalt set up currently awaiting new batteries because they both shit the bed within a week after about 8 years. I'll go buy a couple next time I need to use it. They're a bit spendy.

13. The following user liked this post made by ZRX61:

If I get a good 18/20v jobby, will I need a 240v one as well? Most of the work is drilling holes for rawl plugs anyway
    Yes. Cant imagine needing a corded drill again.

15. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 872 in 488 posts

Cordless SDS Drill with Lion batteries is what you need and it depends on your budget and how often it will get used. Also 18v Lion cordless and impact driver is the way to go. Impact drivers mean you don't "generally" cam out the screws when putting them in or taking them out. Higher the AMP hour longer the batts last.

17. The following user liked this post made by maccecht:

Blog Entries

Off I went to buy a posh 18v jobby, but things don't always go to plan here I love this place, but some shops are a nightmare. First shop had all the drills behind glass doors. Second had just the handle on show, chained to a stand. Third had dozens on show, but no prices Fourth just had Worx stuff.

Brain frazzled so just grabbed a 240v Bosch PSB Universal+ as I need to do some stuff today.

Gonna buy a 18v jobby, but probably off the internet as it's easier than here

If I'd managed to buy a nice 18v jobby, then I'd have an empty shelf space where a 240v drill should be, so perhaps it was meant to be

Now have €200 for a nice 18v jobby

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Bought a 18v Makita a few years ago. Comes with 2 batteries and is 30 minutes charge. Does everything i've ever asked of it, and surprised me when going though 1930s hard as fecking nails concrete render and the adjustable screw setting was superb for putting flat pack stuff together without stripping out the threads etc.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...bi-drill/99631
    That's a great price. Over €200 here. Missus is in UK. Wonder if they'll let her bring one in hand luggage?

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,808 in 2,725 posts

That is a decent price. I guess they must be dumping non "brushless" stock, brushless being the new "turbo", "digital", "HD ready" sales gimmick. It is a damned decent technology though and if a brushless version is available (it is!) you will kick yourself later for going brush.

One thing I would say, new Makita stuff (especially "made in Britain") isn't as well finished as it once was. I think they are on a race to the bottom and the fit /finish of some of their new models can be shoddy to say the least. Caveat emptor.

Liked 2,540 in 1,512 posts

That's a great price. Over 200 here. Missus is in UK. Wonder if they'll let her bring one in hand luggage?
    Tools in hand luggage are a no-no as a rule. Even hand tools.

22. The following user liked this post made by DefTrap:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    Tools in hand luggage are a no-no as a rule. Even hand tools.
    Oops. Need to find a plan B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission