TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSD Drives - Lifetime and Improvements Noticed?

Liked 1,713 in 1,020 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SSD Drives - Lifetime and Improvements Noticed?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    There is some thought that SSD are more power hungry than HDD on the basis that are either on or off and don't idle like a HDD - https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-h...w-31019-2.html

However, unless I am wrong, I thought PCs supplied power to peripherals from the PSU and not the Mobo?

Liked 2,168 in 1,111 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
    Computer geek talking out of his arse. How the hell can an SSD "blow the motherboard"?
    I don't know, I'm not a computer geek. Though he did say something about the power supply not being up to it either.

If there's anybody in the SW or Herts reckons he's up to doing the job and transferring all the files for beer money I'm game.

Liked 4,495 in 3,006 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    There is some thought that SSD are more power hungry than HDD on the basis that are either on or off and don't idle like a HDD - https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-h...w-31019-2.html

However, unless I am wrong, I thought PCs supplied power to peripherals from the PSU and not the Mobo?
    I saw that article, it's 10 years old. 10 years is several lifetimes in IT.

Liked 1,542 in 956 posts

Liked 1,912 in 1,181 posts
    Blog Entries

Not for a gaming rig it ain't. Comparing SATA SSDs to NVMe ones should be like comparing a budget PC to a high end one. If you're just doing office apps and browsing, fine, but more dedicated uses like gaming demand the price premium for the performance sought.

I sure as shit wouldn't spend 50 on a SATA SSD when I could spend 77 on an NVMe the same size for several magnitudes of greater performance.

Explanation for those interested - SATA is the same interface that your HDD uses to connect to your machine, including a cable. M2 slot connects straight into the PCI bus, which has greater throughput and thus can deliver those higher speeds from solid state that SATA bottlenecks - even the latest iterations of SATA.

6. The following user liked this post made by Pax:

Liked 1,713 in 1,020 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    I saw that article, it's 10 years old. 10 years is several lifetimes in IT.
    Meh, why let progress in the way of a good argument...

FWIW the wife's laptop is dog slow at the moment, I am considering throwing an SSD in it to see if it can be revived, if not, the SSD will be put in the replacement laptop and I will get a drive caddy to put the HDD in as a second drive.

I did that with my Dell laptop when I got it and it boots in around 10 seconds. I have just checked the data drive, there is less than 10GB used in offline storage which makes the drive pretty much redundant so it'll get strapped to the back of the TV as a DVR drive when I get around to it.

Liked 4,495 in 3,006 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    Meh, why let progress in the way of a good argument...

FWIW the wife's laptop is dog slow at the moment, I am considering throwing an SSD in it to see if it can be revived, if not, the SSD will be put in the replacement laptop and I will get a drive caddy to put the HDD in as a second drive.

I did that with my Dell laptop when I got it and it boots in around 10 seconds. I have just checked the data drive, there is less than 10GB used in offline storage which makes the drive pretty much redundant so it'll get strapped to the back of the TV as a DVR drive when I get around to it.
    I've got a 9 year old Lenovo laptop which came with Vista. I've upgraded it over the years with more memory (4 Gb instead of 2 GB) a faster processor and a SSD. I didn't do any performance tests but subjectively the processor upgrade - 2.0 GHz to 2.66 GHz gave the most noticeable increase in performance. The SSD gave me faster boot times but I didn't notice much improvement in general use. The memory increase didn't seem to do anything.

(Of course, the biggest performance boost came from installing Linux but most Windows and Mac users don't want to know that. )

Liked 578 in 238 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Not for a gaming rig it ain't. Comparing SATA SSDs to NVMe ones should be like comparing a budget PC to a high end one. If you're just doing office apps and browsing, fine, but more dedicated uses like gaming demand the price premium for the performance sought.

I sure as shit wouldn't spend 50 on a SATA SSD when I could spend 77 on an NVMe the same size for several magnitudes of greater performance.

Explanation for those interested - SATA is the same interface that your HDD uses to connect to your machine, including a cable. M2 slot connects straight into the PCI bus, which has greater throughput and thus can deliver those higher speeds from solid state that SATA bottlenecks - even the latest iterations of SATA.
    Thanks.
    Looks like I'll need to upgrade the M/B anyways if going down the NVMe route, as the current one doesn't have any inbuilt NVMe sockets, and if I add an adaptor card then the BIOS probably won't boot from it. Still looking into it though.

Liked 846 in 413 posts
    Blog Entries

why does he not have one already and your making him wait till christmas? with those boot times thats going to take forever. Atrosiouse!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission