Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I've done my flamin' back in. And as you lot know about everything, advice needed.

Liked 2,706 in 1,401 posts

Default Re: I've done my flamin' back in. And as you lot know about everything, advice need

Quote Originally Posted by treadeager View Post
    +1 ...... I knew somebody who was told they had a back strain and they had to work through the pain ! It later transpired she had a collapsed vertebrae !
    I used to work with an ex household cav guy. He was thrown by a horse during (I think) changing of the guard. Whatever it was he was wearing his cuirass. Anyway, he broke his back. The Regtl surgeon told him he was fine. Days later he discovered he had fractured 2 vertebrae. Fast forward 10 years or so to the day of my wedding. One of the guests was the bloke I worked with. Another was a family friend of the wife's family, an ex surgeon of the household cav... I hadn't heard the full story at that point but had pieced together that they knew each other from stories that both had told, so sat them on the same table...

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    You're lucky you didn't go swimming as well!
    Very. Especially as I'm stupid enough not to have let go of the battery*... I was wearing an auto life jacket though and I suspect that self preservation would have eventually loosened my grip. Mind, with the tide running as it was, and my back being in clip I'd have been miles away before anyone could have reacted meaningfully, and would have struggled like hell to get myself out of the water.

*As an aside I used to use an old seagull outboard. The pivot snapped when I was using it. Rather than let go of it and let it sink (which given that it is a seagull would probably have been for the best anyway), I hung on to it by the tiller and wrestled with it until I could shut it off and drag it back onboard. Given that seagulls have no engine cover I was probably in danger of getting caught in the flywheel and doing myself some damage. My wife thinks I gave it away. It's actually lurking in a corner waiting for me to have some spare time to restore it to use. I like old seagulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    The most likely scenario is a sprain. A torn muscle or torn ligament in one of the zillion muscles in the lower back.

Speaking of sensations though, there is a definite similarity with "muscle memory". If you lift something heavy and begin to feel a tweak in your back, muscle memory could easily go into panic mode and spasm "just in case". If you are aware of it (having been through a number of back injuries over the years) you can mentally defeat it by remaining calm. I am 100% certain I have managed to avoid days of painful back spasms just by recognising the early warning signs and staying relaxed.

I picked up another monster vice the other day for restoration. This one:

Rather than lift it off the bench where it had been sitting happily for 30 odd years, I put a box (of foam) under it, a couple of sheets of foam and just dropped it. I haven't found anything so precious it wasn't worth dropping rather than risk ruining my back.
    That is an extraordinarily good bit of advice. And one which I will make a conscious effort to follow. Sadly when my 4 year old bounded in from school and jumped on me this evening, I think dropping him might not have gone down very well. Everything else though, I will try to remember to drop in future.

2. The following user liked this post made by balbas:

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,132 in 2,400 posts

Default Re: I've done my flamin' back in. And as you lot know about everything, advice need

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    That is an extraordinarily good bit of advice. And one which I will make a conscious effort to follow. Sadly when my 4 year old bounded in from school and jumped on me this evening, I think dropping him might not have gone down very well. Everything else though, I will try to remember to drop in future.
    An interesting and pertinent anecdote. The moment before you are dive bombed by a child is the sort of scenario where you might tense yourself expecting it to hurt and just by being tense, make things worse. So its not just dropping things I am suggesting, it is being in control of muscles, being conscious of the mild discomfort that might occur and not letting your back muscle go into a spasm.

I may be talking bollocks because its not something you'll find in any medical journal but I firmly believe you can make the difference between having a major incident and getting away with it just by maintaining the correct mental attitude. Another philosophy I follow these days is "back spend".

The theory goes We all have a certain total daily lifting capacity, if you stray over it, something will go bang (or might try to). So if you have lifted a lot of little items during the day, put off a job that involves something heavier that might tip you over the daily allowance. Another potentially bollocks theory but it works for me and these days I really have to be careful. One more severe incident and I could end up crippling myself.

As we get older, performance starts to fall away but not in all areas equally. Bone density drops, cartilege stiffens, reflex slows etc, but you might still be able to generate a fair bit of power. Bit like an old Ferrari, you can still go 160mph but your brakes are shit and the shocks are knackered. You need to throttle back and drive to match your weakest component.

4. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Screwdriver:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum