TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Starting issues - non bike

Liked 2,786 in 1,440 posts

Default Starting issues - non bike

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I've got an old, simple (mechanical lift pump, no electronics, no CR system), little (1,400cc 4 cylinder) Diesel engine which has starting issues. Having cleaned up all of the contacts on the starter and solenoid all was well for a few weeks (and say 10 starts). Last time I tried to start the engine it cranked really slowly and there was a very nasty smell of electrical burning and lots of smoke - I didn't see where the smoke came from but assume it was the starter wiring. So I isolated the battery and left it for another day as I'd put my back out and didn't have the inclination to be crawl into a tight space and contort myself to start taking things apart

I'm content that the engine itself is fine and not seized. It was cranking (albeit slowly) without any nasty noises and when it was running sounded as sweet as anything.

So... I'm going to do some investigation today. By my thinking it's a simple system and can basically only be either the starter, the solenoid or the cabling.

So, I'll have the starter off to inspect it's working - flash it up with cables directly to the battery to check it spins up and throws out.

I don't really know how I can inspect the solenoid unless I can take it apart, but I should be able to switch it using battery voltage and hear a nice clear crisp engagement and disengagement.

Cabling I will look for condition, check for loose connections, bad earths and then check continuity and resistance.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Liked 261 in 135 posts

Default Re: Starting issues - non bike

You seem to have covered everything. I'd be looking at poor connections, especially earths, at first. Some starters (eg the one on my Discovery Td5) had problems with the solenoid contacts - replacement kits can be found on ebay, and maybe yours is similar?

Liked 956 in 616 posts

If the battery was down on volts, the amps would go way up, and the smoke would look for a way out. So the root of the starter being bad might be a bad alternator?

Thanks chaps.

At Work
    Liked 783 in 275 posts

Have you tried starting it with a couple of jump leads direct to the starter, bypassing the solenoid and wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    Have you tried starting it with a couple of jump leads direct to the starter, bypassing the solenoid and wiring.
    No, not yet, but may try that.

I was going to go and have a look today, but I've done my back in again. Hopefully I'll be in a fit state to have a look tomorrow.

At Work
    Liked 783 in 275 posts

I'm sat watching Moto GP qualifying with a bad back, felt it go at the local tip on Wednesday now
    its killing me.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission