TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Running Total loss electrics on a trackbike

Liked 184 in 103 posts

Default Running Total loss electrics on a trackbike

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Long and short of it is, GSXR 750 K6 broke down while I was away at Alcarras before lunch on the first day. Either the stator or the reg/rec or both are shagged. I bought a brand new battery and ran it day two and three charging it overnight and between sessions with the stator and reg/rec unplugged and it never missed a beat. Just on the off chance does anyone run a fuel injected trackbike/racebike like this all the time?

Liked 2,126 in 1,087 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Running Total loss electrics on a trackbike

I ran a pre-injection CBR600 like that. It made no apparent difference to power, and I had to charge it at lunch time. As long as you don't mind frequent battery swaps it shouldn't cause any problems.

Liked 955 in 615 posts

What he said. Just think of electricity as a thing you can run out of like petrol and you'll be ok. Might be worth fitting a voltage meter so you know when that's going to happen. Batteries (typical lead acid type) don't like being run down to zero. So swap batteries as often as possible.

Liked 184 in 103 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I ran a pre-injection CBR600 like that. It made no apparent difference to power, and I had to charge it at lunch time. As long as you don't mind frequent battery swaps it shouldn't cause any problems.
    I knew lots of guys ran the pre injection bikes total loss, but the draw on the battery is much less as thereís little in the way to run apart from the spark and the dash, but with an FI machine itís a lot more. Iím not thinking of doing it to save weight or gain any horses, just to remove the problem ( and it is a well documented problem with these bikes) out of the equation. Iím thinkinb that having to spend £100 on a couple of new batteries every year isnít really that big a deal if it means no more bloody breakdowns.

Liked 184 in 103 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    What he said. Just think of electricity as a thing you can run out of like petrol and you'll be ok. Might be worth fitting a voltage meter so you know when that's going to happen. Batteries (typical lead acid type) don't like being run down to zero. So swap batteries as often as possible.
    Was thinking of buying a couple of deep cycle gel batteries for next year and I had planned on fitting a meter wether I replaced the charging system or not. They very often over charge the battery when things go wrong. I think Iíve probably killed my £80 lithium ion battery. Grrrr.

Liked 6,131 in 3,514 posts

If you remove the charging circuit you'll save weight... and if you remove the alternator from the end of the crank you'll get 1-2bhp from reducing the parasitic drag... maybe.

I'd just fix the charging circuit.

Liked 4,815 in 3,009 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    If you remove the charging circuit you'll save weight... and if you remove the alternator from the end of the crank you'll get 1-2bhp from reducing the parasitic drag... maybe.

I'd just fix the charging circuit.
    Or have a reet good shit.

Liked 184 in 103 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Or have a reet good shit.
    You can put your mortgage on it, as soon as the leathers are on and the bikes warmed up and itís about 2 minutes to the start of the session, Iíll need to go!

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Craigyboy9:

Liked 2,126 in 1,087 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    Batteries (typical lead acid type) don't like being run down to zero. So swap batteries as often as possible.
    I could be wrong here, but I thought it was Li cells that didn't like being run right down. Lead-acid from what I recall like deep cycling to keep them healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy9 View Post
    I knew lots of guys ran the pre injection bikes total loss, but the draw on the battery is much less as there’s little in the way to run apart from the spark and the dash, but with an FI machine it’s a lot more. I’m not thinking of doing it to save weight or gain any horses, just to remove the problem ( and it is a well documented problem with these bikes) out of the equation. I’m thinking that having to spend £100 on a couple of new batteries every year isn’t really that big a deal if it means no more bloody breakdowns.
    I know what you mean, there is inevitably more current draw on an injected bike. And don't forget electric starting as well. I'd just say suck it and see, if you can get through half a day on a battery you don't have a problem. It might reduce the value of the bike when you come to sell it but that's a problem for another day.

Liked 184 in 103 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I could be wrong here, but I thought it was Li cells that didn't like being run right down. Lead-acid from what I recall like deep cycling to keep them healthy.

I know what you mean, there is inevitably more current draw on an injected bike. And don't forget electric starting as well. I'd just say suck it and see, if you can get through half a day on a battery you don't have a problem. It might reduce the value of the bike when you come to sell it but that's a problem for another day.
    Thatís my train of theought here TC, if and when I come to sell it, I may or may not stick a stator and reg/rec on it. Itís more than fast enough for me and I love riding it, so Iíve no plans to sell it any time soon.

12. The following user liked this post made by Craigyboy9:

Really Bored
    Liked 568 in 412 posts

Stick an ammeter on it while its running and make the calculation as to how long it can run before dragging the battery too far down. Simples.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission