TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Guzzi Le Mans Garage Fun for 18/19

At Work
    Liked 354 in 208 posts

Default Guzzi Le Mans Garage Fun for 18/19

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Been fiddling with my DT175MX over the last few months, general clean up, respraying the exhaust and new throttle cable (that doesn't fit and I'll need another) balnce the wheels and fix a puncture. Its nearly back together so time to start on the Le Mans.
    It's been running the best ever since the carb overhaul, investing in vacuum gauges to balance them amd fitting new points, but now it's developed an oil leak.
    Originally I thought it was from the sump plug, but now reckon it's the rear crankshaft seal. So it's an engine out job, gearbox, clutch and flywheel off and extract the oil seal somehow.
    Going to buy a couple of special tools for replacing the seal and aligning the clutch. I've had the engine out before and the gearbox off before so not expecting any problems there, my biggest concern is getting the old oil seal out.

2. The following 4 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 262 in 92 posts

Default Re: Guzzi Le Mans Garage Fun for 18/19

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    Been fiddling with my DT175MX over the last few months, general clean up, respraying the exhaust and new throttle cable (that doesn't fit and I'll need another) balnce the wheels and fix a puncture. Its nearly back together so time to start on the Le Mans.
    It's been running the best ever since the carb overhaul, investing in vacuum gauges to balance them amd fitting new points, but now it's developed an oil leak.
    Originally I thought it was from the sump plug, but now reckon it's the rear crankshaft seal. So it's an engine out job, gearbox, clutch and flywheel off and extract the oil seal somehow.
    Going to buy a couple of special tools for replacing the seal and aligning the clutch. I've had the engine out before and the gearbox off before so not expecting any problems there, my biggest concern is getting the old oil seal out.
    Lots of pics please. Hope the carrier comes out ok, there's a lot of information/
    horror stories on wildguzzi and this old tractor about it (grandma, eggs, probably). The favourite appeared to be putting the crankcase in a hydraulic press then using the crank to push out the carrier and bearing, making sure you catch it on the way out!!! Once you've done it you can do mine

At Work
    Liked 354 in 208 posts

Had a day in the garage and got the engine out and gearbox off. Finding the new bench very useful. Dropped it right down to lift the frame from the engine and then jacked back up.WhatsApp Image 2018-12-02 at 20.45.30.jpgWhatsApp Image 2018-12-02 at 20.45.30 (1).jpg
    Made a wooden engine stand, that fits on the bench and takes supports the engine allowing the front wheel and gearbox to be removed as well as the frame.

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 266 in 137 posts

Can't go wrong with a few bits of 2x4.........

Liked 4,590 in 2,512 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    Made a wooden engine stand, that fits on the bench and takes supports the engine allowing the front wheel and gearbox to be removed as well as the frame.
    Eureka! - a Wooden stand it what I need to put together to spray my 900ss engine. Why didn't I think of that before?!!

8. The following user liked this post made by GiantPygmy:

Liked 266 in 137 posts

When I had the V50 on my cheap & cheerful bike lift, I made a wooden platform that went under the sump then had a raised bit at the back to locate on the frame rails behind the gearbox. Worked very well although clearances were a bit tight.

At Work
    Liked 354 in 208 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Eureka! - a Wooden stand it what I need to put together to spray my 900ss engine. Why didn't I think of that before?!!
    I made another one when I first got the bike, same height but with four castors (two with brakes) I can put the whole bike on and wheel around the garage without either wheel on, move it side ways or spin 180 deg to work on the opposite side if needed. I used it to rest the gearbox on as I undid the bolts holding it to the engine.

11. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

At Work
    Liked 354 in 208 posts

None standard clutch and extremely lighted flywheel. Need to put the gearbox back on, get the rhs piston up to TDC then see how everything lines up before taking the clutch off, see what special tools I need to buy/make.
    WhatsApp Image 2018-12-02 at 20.00.52.jpgWhatsApp Image 2018-12-02 at 20.00.55.jpg

Hasn't got the factory made timing marks but there are some added by a previous owner, just don't know what matches up without the gearbox on. Noticed a black mark at about 3 o'clock on the outer ring and a white mark on the inner ring.

13. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

At Work
    Liked 354 in 208 posts

Clutch is off and there's some oil on the plates. Don't think it's the crankshaft seal which is good. Looks like gasket on the top right and possibly aluminium washer for the return bottom centre.
    Oil leak 4.jpg

At Work
    Liked 354 in 208 posts

Getting ready to reinstall the clutch which is done using the clutch hub centre. Had to make a couple of "special tools" to remove the hub from the gearbox.
    tool.jpg Which is a ground down 30mm box spanner with two prongs and a jubilee clip with a hole drilled in the tang, four 2 inch nails and a bit of wire. Found the old centre bolt/washers and metal tube I used 34 years ago from when I did the clutch on my first Le Mans

16. The following 3 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Really Bored
    Liked 514 in 261 posts

All good stuff. Did you not know about the lightened clutch before?

At Work
    Liked 354 in 208 posts

Quote Originally Posted by crust View Post
    All good stuff. Did you not know about the lightened clutch before?

Yes, when I first got it in Sept '15 it was a non runner and I stripped it down, every thing off and split the engine gearbox to clean and change ALL fluids, head bearings etc. Was a bit of a pain in the arse re the flywheel and timing marks, but I have checked out the marks on the lightend flywheel with a piston stop and degree wheel, including the TDC and advance timing marks. Even confirmed by counting the number of teeth between TDC and advance. Think each tooth on the flywheel is 3.75 deg from memory.

Even riding it, the flywheel is noticeable as it spins up easier.

19. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission