TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guzzi Le Mans Garage Fun for 18/19

At Work
    Liked 391 in 219 posts

Default Re: Guzzi Le Mans Garage Fun for 18/19

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Well the Le Mans is all back together as of last night. Drained and replaced all the engine, gearbox and bevel drive oils last week and no leaks. new gaskets and aluminum crush washers of course. It's off the hydraulic bench and covered in a new stretchy bike cover after the previous one dissolved in the sunlight that came through the garage window on a morning.
    Got to pump the tyres up and if it's sunny and the roads are dry I'll go for a ride tomorrow.

It's still "taxed", free as a historic vehicle, no need for an MOT and Insurance isn't due till March. I think just a short spin to check everything is ok then I'll nip out again with my vacuum gauges to balance the carbs, don't like doing it in the drive as I don't want to annoy the neighbours or attract unwanted attention from naughty people. Did all the timing whilst it was on the bench so that fine.
    Want to get a 200 mile ride soon as a shakedown for my trip to Le Mans in June which will be about 800 miles.

2. The following 8 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 276 in 140 posts

Sounds good. I've had a very short shakedown run on the Norton - a few adjustments to make - and the Guzzi V50 will be disinterred at the beginning of March (still paying for tax on that!)

At Work
    Liked 391 in 219 posts

Well that didn't quite go to plan. The left hand mirror blew round but that just needed the locknut tightening, but about 20 miles in just near Great Bardfield noticed the clutch lever was very flappy. Dropped it through the gears without the clutch and came to a halt. Fully tightend the handlebar adjustment and that didn't enable me to disengage. So backed that off and tightened up at the bottom, that didn't allow it to disengage either. With the handlebar adjustment all the way out it it was the lever was solid but wouldn't disengage. Rode it home trying to avoid "t" junctions and stops, which I did. Its now back up on the bench and I'll get the swinging arm out and investigate further, although I think it will be an engine out again job.
    Put Slick 50 in the gearbox and bevel drive, quite impress with that both before and after the clutch went.

Liked 276 in 140 posts

Character?

6. The following user liked this post made by iansoady:

At Work
    Liked 391 in 219 posts

Got it up on the bench this morning, seat, exhausts, shocks off, rear wheel and swinging arm out. The solid feel at the clutch lever with both adjusters fully out was the clutch arm hitting the gearbox. So wound everything back in. The clutch arm pushes onto the clutch push rod and there is a screw and lock nut to adjust the initial bite of the arm. It appears I didn't tighten the locknut up enough and the screw backed off with the vibration so despite using all the cable adjustment I couldn't separate the clutch.

Adjusted the screw up to give a little slack at the handlebar lever and put the swinging arm and wheel in, then took it off the bench and tested by push it forward in gear and pulling the clutch. All ok and working. Didn't fire it up though'cos I hadn't put the tank or seat back on in case I hadn't fixed it and needed to get the engine out and separate the gearbox.
    I'll sort that tomorrow.

8. The following 9 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

At Work
    Liked 391 in 219 posts

Got chance to test ride it today, a quick 20 mile run and all worked fine. Did have to adjust it a bit on the handle bar once I got back into town. So remember folk do those lock nuts up tight especially on old V twins that have a bit of vibration. Almost everything else has a nyloc nut or is loctited.
    Got home and whilst everything was still hot I undid the bevel drive filling bolt to relieve any excess pressure as there is no breather. This in meant to reduce oil leaks at the bevel drive.
    Also got the vacuum gauges out and balanced the carbs, they weren't too far out but slight unevenness of the column was sorted by adjusting the tickover on the LHS.

10. The following 2 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 279 in 102 posts

Today's handy hint - if your guzzi has indicators that flash too quickly on account of ancient flasher units , and you happen to have a spare mitsua fr 3303 flasher relay to hand, then it makes a good replacement for the two oem flash units, even though it has three pinouts, rather than two. Looking at it with the lock prong on top, the pinouts from left to right are (e)ground, (L)amp, and (B)attery. Connect the purple to B, the orange to (L), and run a ground wire to, well, ground. All good again, ready for next week's MOT

12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Pugwash:

At Work
    Liked 391 in 219 posts

Did about 80 miles today up towards Newmarket and back. Saw a couple of nice Morini 3 1/2 in Finchingfield. Wouldn't mind one of them myself. Virtually every other bike was an Adventure bike of one sort or another, that's really put me off having one, although an original GS800 would be ok
    I fitted my Garmin Satnav today ready for my France trip and wanted to check its position for visibility as its just clamped to the left clip on. A few adjustments I think for a long trip but ok for now. Used it to check the speedo as well. I've always consider the Le Mans speedo (any any old bike) to be widely optimistic, however an indicated 80 'ish ( the needle bounces around a 10mph range lot so you have to take an average) was 77mph on the satnav.At low speeds however an indicated 40mph was 30 on the satnav. I'll use it set to KPH when I'm in France.

Filled up with petrol again, Shell VMax, just short of 30 I've only done about 140 miles so the mpg isn't to good at the moment.
    Got home and checked for oil leaks and loose nuts, all ok apart from the dipstick bolt. Oil seems to be coming through where the diptsick is attached to the bolt. Not sure what I can do about that.

14. The following 3 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 279 in 102 posts

So when are we off to Mandello then?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission