TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

View Poll Results: Did he leave and if so how?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's alive and still in there

1 4.76%
  • He walked out unseen

0 0%
  • He was killed and left in bits

16 76.19%
  • Other (specify)

4 19.05%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: This bloke Jamal Khashoggi who went into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul ...

Liked 3,326 in 1,670 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: This bloke Jamal Khashoggi who went into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul ...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    The situation in a consulate or embassy is slightly clouded as that is nominally "foreign soil" (not actually true but the facility is afforded some level of immunity due to it's status). It begs the question how Turkey was able to go in and search the premises unless Saudi agreed to it. The other issue here which we all appear to be studiously ignoring is that Recep has thrown every single journalist terrorist (!) in jail after the faux coup. Somewhat ironic under the circumstances.

I still say it was fantastically stupid to have spent half your life slagging off one of the most powerful (and vindictive) men in the world then just nonchalantly walk into his house...

My understanding is that a consulate does not have the same legal status as an embassy but is usually treated as the same. It stands to reason that the host nation would allow the Saudis to clean up a bit prior to visitors coming round.

Recep hasn't jailed all the journalists, just the one that criticise him which of course amounts to terrorism.

Liked 2,488 in 1,759 posts

Default Re: This bloke Jamal Khashoggi who went into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul ...

Wouldn't surprise me but frankly, he should have known better.
    He went into the Consulate to collect some marriage certificates while his fiancee waited outside. IIRC he could only collect them from the Consulate in person and had been assured he could do so safely. He did not, as you put it, nonchalantly walk in.

3. The following user liked this post made by irie:

Liked 3,326 in 1,670 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    He went into the Consulate to collect some marriage certificates while his fiancee waited outside. IIRC he could only collect them from the Consulate in person and had been assured he could do so safely. He did not, as you put it, nonchalantly walk in.
    It was also his second visit. On the first visit they told him he'd have to come back for the paperwork. They set him up and he walked into a trap.

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,222 in 2,439 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    It was also his second visit. On the first visit they told him he'd have to come back for the paperwork. They set him up and he walked into a trap.
    Well that's interesting. I wondered how they managed to have a hit squad waiting, if that is indeed what happened. But it doesn't change my attitude towards this unfortunate event.
    I have about as much sympathy for him as I would for a man who walks into a lions den.

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    I missed that, thanks. This completes what seems to have been the chain of events:

1. Khashoggi visits the Consulate to apply for marriage documents and is told they will be ready for collection at a later date.

2. Either the Consulate alerts Riyadh to this event or Riyadh is alerted by this application which is perhaps handled in Saudi Arabia (?)

3. A hit squad is quickly assembled consisting of many of Crown Prince Mohamed Bin Salman's bodyguards, security officials, etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-45906396

Among others this includes Salah Muhammed Tubaigy who is a trained pathologist.

Dr Tubaigy is a forensic pathologist who completed a master's degree at the University of Glasgow in Scotland.

The doctor identifies himself on his Twitter account as a professor of forensic medicine and head of the Saudi Scientific Council of Forensics.

In an interview, accompanied by a photograph of him wearing uniform, the doctor discussed a mobile laboratory that he had designed to allow pathologists to perform post-mortems in only seven minutes in order to quickly determine the cause of death of Muslims performing the Hajj pilgrimage.

Turkish officials have also said that Dr Tubaigy was carrying a bone saw when he flew into Istanbul Ataturk Airport from Riyadh
    4. Two private jets moved this hit squad from Saudi Arabia to Istanbul in the early hours of 2nd October.

5. Later in the day on 2nd October Jamal Khashoggi as previously agreed, enters the Consulate to collect his marriage documents with his fiancee waiting for him outside with an iPhone linked to Khashoggi's iWatch, but the recently arrived hit squad were waiting for him.

6. Khashoggi is tortured and killed in the Consulate. It seems likely that he was dismembered by Dr. Tubaigy and the body parts moved in van(s) to the Consul's Istanbul residence where they were (partially?*) dissolved in powerful acid. The Consul and his family had already left their residence and flown back to Saudi.

The iWatch and iPhone were probably covers used by the Turks to try to conceal the fact (?) that both the Consulate and the Consul's residence were extensively bugged. One assumes assumed that the Saudis had previously "swept" both sites and had not considered this possibility which is where the plan fell apart.

A look at the logistics required along with the members of the hit squad makes it virtually impossible for Mohamed Bin Salman to not have been at the least aware of and more likely directly involved in this plot.

What a nasty business.

* It might be that there was insufficient time to complete this and remains were dumped in the countryside outside Istanbul.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-45909732
    Last edited by irie; Today at 11:13. Reason: Forest search link

Liked 2,786 in 1,440 posts

Well that's interesting. I wondered how they managed to have a hit squad waiting, if that is indeed what happened. But it doesn't change my attitude towards this unfortunate event.
    I have about as much sympathy for him as I would for a man who walks into a lions den.
    It seems they flew them in that morning on a couple of private jets (coincidentally siezed in the recent crackdown on senior Saudis) and then flew them out on the same jets that evening. Apparently the guys on the jets were visiting to pick up some paperwork.

Liked 1,852 in 1,140 posts
    Blog Entries

On a bit of a horrible Devil's Advocate, what's the Turks' relationship with the Saudis right now? I have no idea. Turkey government at the minute not exactly being high on my list of trustworthy administrations.
    Last edited by Pax; Today at 10:25. Reason: apostrophe fail

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,222 in 2,439 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    On a bit of a horrible Devil's Advocate, what's the Turk's relationship with the Saudis right now? I have no idea. Turkey government at the minute not exactly being high on my list of trustworthy administrations.
    My thoughts exactly. Recep is almost certainly holding the Saudis to ransom, literally attempting some sort of blackmail in exchange for whatever evidence they may or may not have.

If there is a recording or some other hard physical evidence, I can't think of any other reason for it being withheld.

If the Turkish authorities (Recep) has some hard evidence, it is potentially worth millions if not billions.

If they DON'T have any evidence it might still be worth millions depending on how he plays it.

@Pax and @Screwdriver

Perhaps it's more to do with Turkey patching up its relationship with the USA and getting sanctions lifted. After all, Turkey released Pastor Andrew Brunson a week ago ...

Liked 1,772 in 1,137 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    On a bit of a horrible Devil's Advocate, what's the Turks' relationship with the Saudis right now? I have no idea. Turkey government at the minute not exactly being high on my list of trustworthy administrations.
    Turkey supports Qatar, which the Saudis are trying to detach and float off into the Gulf. The pastor release was a way of asking the US to step forward while Turkey stepped back.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission