TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danny Kent

Liked 4,967 in 3,106 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Danny Kent

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    This is surely a make or break weekend for the lad. He has an amazing talent, just seems to have gone off the boil in recent years. Maybe being our first world champion since Barry Sheene took its toll ?

Anyway, he's 3.5 seconds off the pace, which isn't too bad as the bike is more than a little different to a Moto2 bike

And he's got 3 races to show what he can do. If he doesn't manage to perform, I don't see where else he can go. A National support class isn't the place for a recent world champ

https://www.crash.net/bsb/results/90...tice-results-1

Liked 4,579 in 2,510 posts

Default Re: Danny Kent

He's less than 2 secs off Laverty and Bradley Ray's times? are those wet track times?

He lost his head half way through championship winning year and never really got it back since. I don't think the first Moto2 season did him anygood fo his confidence either.

Hope he does ok as there's a big difference to riding a Moto2 and a Superbike, three races ain't much. Hope he gets plenty of testing done in between.

Liked 2,168 in 1,111 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    He's less than 2 secs off Laverty and Bradley Ray's times? are those wet track times?

He lost his head half way through championship winning year and never really got it back since. I don't think the first Moto2 season did him anygood fo his confidence either.

Hope he does ok as there's a big difference to riding a Moto2 and a Superbike, three races ain't much. Hope he gets plenty of testing done in between.

He had so much promise and maturity and seemed to lose both of them. Good luck to him.

Blog Entries

Danny Kent has admitted he’s thrown himself into the deep end as he tackles his first Bennetts British Superbike race this weekend.The new Movuno.com Halsall Racing Suzuki recruit, who is surveying options to join the British paddock next year after being cast out of his Speed Up Racing Team in Moto2, finished this morning’s first practice in 25th before moving up a place in FP2.

And despite admitting he wasn’t putting any pressure on himself for his maiden BSB weekend, Kent says he has some studying to do tonight as he looks for data to help improve his speed on the GP circuit.

“It’s like the first day back at school,” he said. “I threw myself in at the deep end coming here on a race weekend, but it was an opportunity I couldn’t really say no to.

“I’m almost trying to forget that it’s a race weekend and I think it’s quite important for me and the team to understand how it is to ride a superbike first. Compared to all the other bikes I’ve ridden in the past, they were all about corner speed, but with these superbikes
    it’s completely different.

“I’ve gone from 140bhp to over 220. Looking at the data now I’m trying to get on the power way too early and then compromising so much on the exits and I’m on the side of the tyre too much.”

Kent admitted that showing up at the 12th and final round with a pack of riders who have been here at least once before, twice counting the Indy circuit, isn’t ideal.

But the 2015 Moto3 World Champion says he wants to go through the learning process sooner or later and believes there’s no better time than now – on a track he hasn’t ridden in nearly a decade.

“Everything this weekend is new, whereas all the other people on track with me did all the preseason testing, they’ve rode these tracks for the last 10 years. The last time riding this track for me was 2009 on a 45bhp bike. There’s a lot to learn, but I’m going to have to do it at some point.

“I’ve been sat down with the team looking at the data and tonight’s quite important for me to look at it and see what I can do myself. I can see that a lot of the lap time can come from not even touching the bike but me changing the way I’m riding.

“Two and a half seconds off first is quite a big gap but with all things considered I don’t think we’ve done a bad job.

“It’s so early for me on a superbike, so going out in a race tomorrow with a lot of other riders I will definitely learn. I’m enjoying the experience and I have a lot to learn but we’re only going to keep progressing.”

Liked 278 in 108 posts

I had the fortune to meet him at Le Mans a that year, he chatted to me and my mate and come across really well, I hope he does well because he is a world champ and all that talent canít just of got up and left him, hope he gets some time on a good bike, will be brilliant seeing him and redding race BSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Qualifying wasn't too good for him. 2.7s off pole. Or 1.6 behind the best Suzuki of Bradley Ray.

https://www.crash.net/bsb/results/90...ifying-results

Liked 4,579 in 2,510 posts

He was interviewed and basically said he's learning how to ride the thing, trying not to carry to much corner speed like a Moto2 so he can take advantage of the BHP etc. using the meeting as a load of test sessions!

8. The following user liked this post made by GiantPygmy:

Liked 9,268 in 5,305 posts

He didn't look terrible in race. But clearly the step from GP bikes to production bikes is not quite as easy as we first thought it may be.
    I think if he can get a point in the other races and some seat time, that is about the best outcome likely.

10. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Liked 985 in 831 posts

Doing well in the rain! Just behind Irwin and Ray at the moment.
    Last edited by joe19; 14-10-18 at 15:41.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    Doing well in the rain! Just behind Irwin and Ray at the moment.
    He had a good dice with Ray the whole race. He's well thought of, on a similar bike, so DK did OK. Just a shame he was a minute behind the winner, also on a Suzuki.

Not a bad weekend really. The boy can still ride.

13. The following user liked this post made by Yorick:

Liked 554 in 333 posts

I'd really like to see him succeed. He's a world champion ffs, in moto3, which has gotta be one of the toughest classes around! I'd love to see him with a decent ride, fighting at the front!

Liked 9,268 in 5,305 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
    I'd really like to see him succeed. He's a world champion ffs, in moto3, which has gotta be one of the toughest classes around! I'd love to see him with a decent ride, fighting at the front!
    He'll have to prove himself and if we're being honest, he never exactly did that this weekend. He did OK.... no more... no less.

Liked 1,453 in 934 posts

He's an interesting case. For half to 2/3rds of a season he was untouchable to the point where he was making it look easy and then he went off the boil. At first I thought he was playing it safe and getting the points but coming into the last round I honestly believe that he'd lost the plot and he was really lucky to come away with the title. Not taking his championship away from him, because he is the only Brit GP champ I've seen in my life time (I was very young when Sheene was about even if I remember watching the Kenny dice) and for a lot of it he was nothing short of amazing. But his performances dropped off a cliff and for no obvious reason.

Since then he hasn't really been able to do it at all. Really odd. I can only assume it's a confidence/pressure thing as you can't fake riding that well.

17. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Supermofo:

Really Bored
    Liked 514 in 261 posts

Got the sponsors logos on TV, lots of mentions on commentary and he didn't bin the bike, so from the teams point of view - success.

From his point of view, not so sure it was his best move.

The rest of the field have had all season to hone bike set up, tyres and are used to 'no traction control' on a 220BHP bike so he was always going to be at best mid-pack, given the pouring rain I thought he did really well not to bin it. A lot of riders did and most of the rest had regular 'moments' (Haslam's bike control was superb - probably a lot of the others have the same but the cameras were on him a lot of the time).

So for me, I think he showed that he has great instinctive bike handling skills (the rest of the field will have developed muscle memory routines to deal with issues, though the number of fallers indicates possibly otherwise) and a calm head not to get carried away trying to prove something.

In Hollywood land he would have cleaned up and proved the doubters wrong (cue Rocky theme tune), in appalling conditions at a cold Brands I think he did damn well.

19. The following 4 users liked this useful post by crust:

Blog Entries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission