TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Recommend me a laser printer

Liked 1,176 in 825 posts

Default Recommend me a laser printer

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I've been thinking of getting a laser printer to get better prints of texts and schematic drawings. I don't do a lot of colour myself, but someone must be as we're almost out of colour.

I've been looking at the range of laser printers Samsung have on offer (printer division now owned by HP).

With 'inkjet' printers I stopped using compatible cartridges as I wasn't happy with the quality, but has anyone here used compatible toners? What are the results like?

Liked 6,132 in 3,515 posts

Default Re: Recommend me a laser printer

I have a large estate of HP printers.

Someone further up the food chain decided that compatible toners were to be used, much against my advice.

The 4x M533 Colour Lasrerjets are now all totally fucked, not one will print a without marks or streaks, (poorly re-manufactured toners leaking)

They're not totally terrible in the smaller M401/402's, but they only last half a long as an original toner and one out of every three doesn't last more than a couple of hundred pages before the image drum shats itself.

6 months ago I bought the cheapest Brother MFD from Argos., was 50 iirc and replacement toners are 20. I wish I'd bought the next model up with a document feeder for the scanner, it's tiresome scanning multi page documents.

Liked 1,176 in 825 posts

Thanks Bob, just as I thought, so genuine toner it is. It's still a bit cheaper per page than 'inkjet' ink, though a higher initial cost.

And I notice that most laser printers come with 'starter' toner which has a page count that is on average 2.5x the yeild of an inkjet cartridge.

Liked 6,132 in 3,515 posts

The bother I purchased has a cartridge that splits it two. One part is a toner and the other the image drum. You only buy the toner part... until the drum reaches it's service life. The toner itself is cheap (the image drum isn't too bad either).

A Bit Bored
    Liked 38 in 30 posts

Brother for me, the toner costs are reasonable and mine works well for home / light office use. Better than the samsung I had before ...

Liked 859 in 439 posts

Another one with a brother laser, it was just over 100 iirc. Comes with toner which says it's empty after a month or two (depending on use), just for info, don't bin it at this point, do a search online and you can con the printer into resetting it. I got well over triple the use with the original toner. I then had to bite the bullet, toner is bloody expensive. But I'm glad I changed from my old printer as that bloody thing needed new ink cartridges nearly every time I used it!!

7. The following user liked this post made by Nordboy:

Liked 1,176 in 825 posts

There's a good one by Brother which has automatic double sided printing.

At Work
    Liked 374 in 224 posts

I dont often need to print anything but its infuriating when you need to and the printer doesnt work,
    I got fed up with my Ink Jet doing this so I bought a Brother HL-L2340D which has been wonderful,
    After turning on its ready to print in about 10 seconds and picks up, like most modern printers its wireless.

Liked 1,176 in 825 posts

I took a punt at a Samsung nearby. I was the only bidder on eBay for it.

It's mono, has some toner, has a document feeder/scanner on it. Not wifi, usb and plug in enthernet only. No auto duplex printing.

But for 40 I thought why not.

Got it home, set it up and saw a few other things and thought what's all this? Turns out the seller got the model number wrong and it has wifi and it has auto duplexing, so it turns out to be everything I want.

I like the paper tray too, where the paper is hidden away, stops the kids from pinching paper just to scribble over.

11. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Ant:

Really Bored
    Liked 566 in 393 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    I like the paper tray too, where the paper is hidden away, stops the kids from pinching paper just to scribble over.
    Spoil sport.

Liked 1,934 in 1,212 posts

For anybody who may need a refill I can recommend these people. Very helpful and not expensive. They fixed me up with a refurbished HP Laser Jet 6L within 24 Hours. Great customer service.

https://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/

14. The following user liked this post made by KorkyKat:

Liked 1,178 in 832 posts

I've always used compatible toners and never had a problem, low use home printer though.

Liked 4,350 in 2,918 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    I've always used compatible toners and never had a problem, low use home printer though.
    In my years as a computer "engineer"*, I encountered several "faulty" printers that were cured by using a genuine (i.e. HP, Brother etc.) toner cartridge. I also saw many printers with compatible cartridges that worked fine so you can be lucky. I use genuine HP cartridges in my own printer.

* In quotes because real engineers quibble over the use of the word.

Liked 2,206 in 1,324 posts

We've got a "computer engineer" at work, it says it on his cv, he keeps telling me he is when I call him out on his crap work. I just snigger.

I've had decent results with both HP printers and genuine cartridges - can't say much more than that as never needed to go anywhere else. I bought a compatible cartridge once, failed PDQ and was a pita, never again. The irritation of not being able to print when I need to is far outweighed by the cost.

Liked 4,350 in 2,918 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    We've got a "computer engineer" at work, it says it on his cv, he keeps telling me he is when I call him out on his crap work. I just snigger.
    I'm a Certified Novell Engineer, I have the certificates to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    I've had decent results with both HP printers and genuine cartridges - can't say much more than that as never needed to go anywhere else. I bought a compatible cartridge once, failed PDQ and was a pita, never again. The irritation of not being able to print when I need to is far outweighed by the cost.
    Customers would occasionally get the hump when I told them the poor quality printing was almost certainly due to the poor quality "compatible" toner cartridge. Sometimes they even admitted I was right when they fitted a proper one and it fixed the problem.
    Last edited by saga_lout; Today at 16:09.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission