TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What bluetooth kit for helmet?

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,341 in 2,746 posts

Default Re: What bluetooth kit for helmet?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    That's the badger I use, very impressed, and the (now optional) remote make it super slick and easy to use

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,068 in 2,024 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    That's the badger I use, very impressed, and the (now optional) remote make it super slick and easy to use
    Not cheap at nearly a ton, mind.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,341 in 2,746 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    Not cheap at nearly a ton, mind.
    S'good job mine came with one then as I'd not pay that for one back then, was around 190 for a single jobbie including it back then, I'd not have one without now.

Edit; the 3 button stick on remote is only 50 odd quid, small beans for such as yourself.

Liked 1,080 in 509 posts
    Blog Entries

I ended up getting a new Shark Evo One 2 and a Sharktooth Prime bletooth kit.

The helmet is lovely - I like the flip-up mechanism, and the way the lid transforms into a sleek open-face. It fits my head-shape snugly, so its really comfortable. And its quiet at moderate speeds. It has a pinlock fitted, and the ventilation is effective, so things don't get steamy. All in all its a very decent helmet, and P&H gave me a discount as I'd recently bought a bike from them, so it felt like a bargain at just the right side of 200.

Separately, I bought the Sharktooth Bluetooth kit. This integrates into the helmet, which has a built in space for the battery and recesses for the speakers, so there's only a very small control unit with two buttons to go on the outside. It's cheap, at just over 100, and has limited functionality compared to some of the high end units. But iit's right for me - it integrates nicely into the lid, and I don't need the sophisticated group intercom capabilities, or built in radio and stuff that comes with the spendier kit.

What I do want is the ability to play music, listen t the radio or podcasts, get satnav voice, and to take phone calls. And the Shark kit does all this, and does it well. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the music reproduction. The sound is really surprisingly good, with decent definition, and solid bass. And its loud enough too - I don't need it on even half volume in an urban setting, and I think it would still be perfectly good at illegal velocities.

This is all made even more convenient by the KTM Myride app. This allows you to pair the phone and the headset with the bike, and control all the functions through the dashboard without moving your hands from the bars. The dash displays the song you're playing, and allows you to pause, or skip forwards or back. It also displays the caller for incoming calls, and allows you to answer or reject the call, and also has a switchable auto-answer function.

5. The following user liked this post made by Trogladyte:

Liked 1,197 in 693 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trogladyte View Post

The helmet is lovely - I like the flip-up mechanism, and the way the lid transforms into a sleek open-face. It fits my head-shape snugly, so its really comfortable. And its quiet at moderate speeds. It has a pinlock fitted, and the ventilation is effective, so things don't get steamy. All in all its a very decent helmet, and P&H gave me a discount as I'd recently bought a bike from them, so it felt like a bargain at just the right side of 200.

Separately, I bought the Sharktooth Bluetooth kit. This integrates into the helmet, which has a built in space for the battery and recesses for the speakers, so there's only a very small control unit with two buttons to go on the outside. It's cheap, at just over 100, and has limited functionality compared to some of the high end units. But iit's right for me - it integrates nicely into the lid, and I don't need the sophisticated group intercom capabilities, or built in radio and stuff that comes with the spendier kit.

What I do want is the ability to play music, listen t the radio or podcasts, get satnav voice, and to take phone calls. And the Shark kit does all this, and does it well. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the music reproduction. The sound is really surprisingly good, with decent definition, and solid bass. And its loud enough too - I don't need it on even half volume in an urban setting, and I think it would still be perfectly good at illegal velocities.

This is all made even more convenient by the KTM Myride app. This allows you to pair the phone and the headset with the bike, and control all the functions through the dashboard without moving your hands from the bars. The dash displays the song you're playing, and allows you to pause, or skip forwards or back. It also displays the caller for incoming calls, and allows you to answer or reject the call, and also has a switchable auto-answer function.
    Is it possible to get the Shark BT kit in such a way that it will integrate with the full bike-to-bike comms? (just asking)

Liked 9,502 in 5,458 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trogladyte View Post

Not sure I like the idea of motorcyclists not actually paying full attention while riding.

Liked 1,197 in 693 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Not sure I like the idea of motorcyclists not actually paying full attention while riding.
    sniff sniff.... stinky, but what the hell.

Do you pay full 100% attention at all times whilst riding? I'd bet good money that you think you do, and to be fair, if you're going a short distance, and riding 'hard' then you very likely are pretty close to it.

But not riding at 9-10/10s, more like 6-7, especially on quieter roads, you'll have attention to spare, and I for one would rather it be taken up with some reasonably non-intrusive sounds that act as a background, than having my brain go off on distracting tangents that actually get in the way of thinking about riding.

Liked 9,502 in 5,458 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    sniff sniff.... stinky, but what the hell.

Do you pay full 100% attention at all times whilst riding? I'd bet good money that you think you do, and to be fair, if you're going a short distance, and riding 'hard' then you very likely are pretty close to it.

But not riding at 9-10/10s, more like 6-7, especially on quieter roads, you'll have attention to spare, and I for one would rather it be taken up with some reasonably non-intrusive sounds that act as a background, than having my brain go off on distracting tangents that actually get in the way of thinking about riding.
    It's not just the music but the ability to jump though menus, songs, phone calls etc. In a car I think it's different as your hands are often less needed and the speeds are generally lower.

Liked 1,080 in 509 posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah. To be fair it can be distracting. It's not so much the bluetooth kit, as the endless menus and interesting stuff available on the dash - from tyre pressures to oil temperature, ambient temperature, current mpg average mpg, average speed etc etc. Eventually I will leave it alone, but its a novelty at the moment, and I play with it.

Liked 1,080 in 509 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Is it possible to get the Shark BT kit in such a way that it will integrate with the full bike-to-bike comms? (just asking)
    Yeah - it does bike to bike, or pillion. But its pretty basic compared to some.

12. The following user liked this post made by Trogladyte:

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,068 in 2,024 posts

One of my concerns was that music could be a distraction but I don't honestly thinking is. Common sense applies, like not fiddling with the controls mid-corner or whilst filtering like a god.

Nope. Not a distraction in any......ooooh look! An eagle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission