TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobike cycle scheme moves out of Manchester due to locals vandalising bikes...

Liked 4,440 in 2,434 posts

Default Re: Mobike cycle scheme moves out of Manchester due to locals vandalising bikes...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Doesn't matter if they are destroyed, lost or stolen. The investors still make a ton of money. It's a cash cow. Unregulated expansion (and I don't know if it is in the UK) means rival enterprises will catch onto the scam and cash in too.

Result: tens of thousands of redundant bicycles left littering the streets. Millions of pounds of taxpayers money invested into "green" projects disappears into the Caymans. Local scrapyards left scratching their heads how to even begin recycling mixed scrap like this.

It's so obvious and so predictable it makes me weep.

Correct me if I'm wrong (preferably with facts 'n stuff) but isn't that a whole load of complete bollocks?

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,222 in 2,439 posts

Default Re: Mobike cycle scheme moves out of Manchester due to locals vandalising bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (preferably with facts 'n stuff) but isn't that a whole load of complete bollocks?
    Sadly no.

I honestly wish it was bollocks. Read'em and weep. https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...cycles/556268/

So what is that very same Shanghai company doing now I wonder??

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,359 in 1,612 posts

And some people want us to set up car sharing schemes.

Liked 3,326 in 1,670 posts
    Blog Entries

This is how it ends:

Attachment 42068

Entropy!

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,222 in 2,439 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    Entropy!
    Yeah, exactly! And LOTS of it

Recycling is all well and good but it is the energy expenditure which is the planet killer. That and of course the "free" natural resources which mankind is consuming at an unsustainable rate.

On top of that is of course waste disposal. We've all seen "plastic island" in the Maldives?

The problem with bicycles is the amount of time and energy you have to expend to recycle one. Even I struggled recently when rather than lob one in a skip as part of a job, I tried to get some useful material out of it. Too much mixed material, too difficult to separate and you end up with random rubber, plastic and cable etc. Complete nightmare. Most of them will get shredded and end up as "landfill". I gave up eventually and threw it away which is totally unlike me. I virtually spend my life trying to save stuff.

"Landfill" is one of those terms that will end up with connotations beyond it's original harmless euphemism. Like Sellafield or Windscale, it will engender an entirely more sinister meaning over time...

Liked 1,908 in 1,083 posts

The Ofo one in Sheffield was withdrawn in July, unfortunately we're not mature enough as a country to enjoy the benefits of this service without ruining it for others.
    Last edited by Jasper; 14-10-18 at 10:34. Reason: F for ffs

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,730 in 853 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NyseriA View Post
    Tbh, there have been similar issues wherever they've tried to do it, even in places like Singapore.

I don't have any reference to what it's like elsewhere, but I won't really miss them littering up the place.
    Didnít work here either

Liked 2,206 in 1,324 posts

Saw loads of them in Cambridge last week. No idea if it's a royal pain in the backside to manage or how costly it is.
    They looked as if they were being used well enough - my primary thought was "not again ..." https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...-bike-12472055

Liked 2,136 in 1,182 posts

The type in London is arguably a better idea, with a defined docking station so you can pick one up and go there etc. I don't think Manchester is particularly suited to cycling everywhere, unless you're on a mountain bike to crash through all the shitty potholes. I've almost given up riding my carbon road bike, it's just going to get fucked

At Work
    Liked 384 in 250 posts

Recycling is all well and good but it is the energy expenditure which is the planet killer. That and of course the "free" natural resources which mankind is consuming at an unsustainable rate.

On top of that is of course waste disposal. We've all seen "plastic island" in the Maldives?

The problem with bicycles is the amount of time and energy you have to expend to recycle one. Even I struggled recently when rather than lob one in a skip as part of a job, I tried to get some useful material out of it. Too much mixed material, too difficult to separate and you end up with random rubber, plastic and cable etc. Complete nightmare. Most of them will get shredded and end up as "landfill". I gave up eventually and threw it away which is totally unlike me. I virtually spend my life trying to save stuff.

"Landfill" is one of those terms that will end up with connotations beyond it's original harmless euphemism. Like Sellafield or Windscale, it will engender an entirely more sinister meaning over time...
    A lot of UK 'landfill' waste now goes to thermal energy recovery. Metals are sometimes recovered beforehand through mechanical pre treatment and almost always afterwards from the residual material.

Really Bored
    Liked 132 in 104 posts

The uncomfortable truth is that we (human beings) are a total cancer on this planet and add nothing but harm, with the mass increase in the world's population i see this ending very badly for the generations to come. The current recycling push is good but in the end i see this as tinkering at the edge's, the future large scale war's will be around resources that currently we take for granted (energy,water,food). Enjoy what we have, as those yet to come will look back on this time with envy and disgust.

12. The following user liked this post made by Hudson:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission