TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Have we got any VAT experts here?

Liked 2,128 in 1,088 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Have we got any VAT experts here?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I bought a couple of second-hand bike bits off an eBay seller in the US. When it arrived the assholes in the Post Office had slapped VAT on it as well as their own hefty admin charge. Are they entitled to do that?

Liked 2,669 in 1,599 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Have we got any VAT experts here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I bought a couple of second-hand bike bits off an eBay seller in the US. When it arrived the assholes in the Post Office had slapped VAT on it as well as their own hefty admin charge. Are they entitled to do that?
    Yes. I'm not a VAT expert though.

...and don't let buying from Americans turn you into another Plastic Yank. It's 'arse' not fucking 'ass'

3. The following user liked this post made by moth:

Liked 2,488 in 1,759 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I would say yes because VAT is related to the value of the goods.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,359 in 1,612 posts

I think so - you pay VAT on the value, in this case the 2nd hand value.

Liked 1,178 in 832 posts

I've paid import duty before bringing stuff into the country but never VAT, was many years ago though.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,359 in 1,612 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    I've paid import duty before bringing stuff into the country but never VAT, was many years ago though.
    IIRC you pay import duty (on some stuff only) and then VAT on the price AND the import duty.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 33 in 23 posts

It always irks me when I have to pay Value Added Tax on handling costs of items purchased from abroad.

Liked 4,351 in 2,918 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudderman View Post
    It always irks me when I have to pay Value Added Tax on handling costs of items purchased from abroad.
    Handling is adding value. If they didn't handle it, you wouldn't receive it and it would have no value. Innit.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

If you're importing something from outside of the EU you're normally charged import duty, import vat (which is different to sales vat) and an admin fee by the courier. There's a threshold for the import duty but not for the import vat so if its a fairly low value there there will be no duty, vat of 20% on whatever the declared customs value is, and the admin fee of 10 or so. If its worth $100 for example you'll be under the duty threshold, so the vat will be around $20/15 plus the admin, so you could expect to pay about 25 total.

If you're a vat registered business and have an EORI number which is shown on the customs declaration you should receive a certificate from HMRC a month or so after the import and you'll be able to reclaim the vat portion on your next vat return. If not, you can't reclaim it unfortunately!

11. The following user liked this post made by Rsw46:

Liked 2,128 in 1,088 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rsw46 View Post
    If you're importing something from outside of the EU you're normally charged import duty, import vat (which is different to sales vat) and an admin fee by the courier. There's a threshold for the import duty but not for the import vat so if its a fairly low value there there will be no duty, vat of 20% on whatever the declared customs value is, and the admin fee of 10 or so. If its worth $100 for example you'll be under the duty threshold, so the vat will be around $20/15 plus the admin, so you could expect to pay about 25 total.

If you're a vat registered business and have an EORI number which is shown on the customs declaration you should receive a certificate from HMRC a month or so after the import and you'll be able to reclaim the vat portion on your next vat return. If not, you can't reclaim it unfortunately!
    Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed, even if it wasn't what I wanted. Paying VAT on used parts annoys me, particularly when the PO put an 8 handling charge on to collect 5 of VAT.

13. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Liked 1,090 in 719 posts
    Blog Entries

Depends on the value. There is a de minimis level of 15 or so. Anything above that and you're paying VAT and a handling charge (which itself may include VAT). You pay VAT on the shipping costs, and I believe that there is no recovery of any sales tax that may have been charged at the seller's end, although exports should be excluded from sales taxes - certainly are for VAT (when shipping outside of the EU).

They don't open the package so they have to estimate the goods value by reference to the weight. Appeals if they have mis-assessed are difficult. So far as I am aware, gifts are not excluded if they exceed a certain value - a mate of mine from work had to pay VAT and a handling charge because his mother had been overly generous with his Christmas presents...

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission