TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 847 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brexit bottom line ...

Liked 2,841 in 2,018 posts

Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I like cake.
    But no cherry picking.

Liked 2,841 in 2,018 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    Amazes me that these are even tabled as options.

Amazed as in not amazed, the desperation of Brexiteers to have their shit sandwich and savour every morsel of it.
    Are there any other options currently on offer?

Liked 2,581 in 1,683 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twobad View Post
    That's my view. We won't enforce a hard border. If the EU want one then Ireland can put one up, or put one between Ireland and the EU. Borders have two sides.
    Remind us again, was Brexit about taking back control, especially control of immigration ? Are you suggesting that be done by someone else?

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,456 in 892 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Remind us again, was Brexit about taking back control, especially control of immigration ? Are you suggesting that be done by someone else?
    Ireland is in a Common Travel Area with the UK.
    Ireland doesn't want illegal immigrants coming into it either, so it controls its borders against non-EU.
    Are you suggesting that EU migrants would rather be in the UK illegally than anywhere else in the EU legally?

Liked 5,137 in 3,431 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Savio Du Funk View Post
    I like you irie, but it’s threads like this and the relentless, monotonous drive to talk of nothing but Brexit that is making this forum increasingly hard to stomach.

Be interesting to get a tally comparison of threads started between remain/leave posters.

Fuck the DUP.
    Fuck the need to have stupid, regressive conversations that serve only to drive division
    Fuck brexit. Stay or leave I don’t care anymore, but the fucking pensioner-satisfying drone is akin to pixelated tinnitus
    Don't tell me, let me guess. You opened the thread because the thread title was so ambiguous and you wanted to find out what it was about. Am I right?

Liked 2,690 in 1,465 posts
    Blog Entries

It seems that the 3rd option is missing!

3, stop the madness, accept it is possible but not sensible to leave the EU, and retract a,50.

7. The following 5 users liked this useful post by adamski:

Liked 2,581 in 1,683 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    Ireland is in a Common Travel Area with the UK.
    Ireland doesn't want illegal immigrants coming into it either, so it controls its borders against non-EU.
    Are you suggesting that EU migrants would rather be in the UK illegally than anywhere else in the EU legally?
    Britain wants to control EU migrants. In the absence of a border, how will it do that ? By relying on another country to do it? So much for 'taking back control'.
    The common travel area can't function over an external border. It worked before both states joined the EU and it worked afterwards, like a mini-Schengen.

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,990 in 2,025 posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post

3, stop the madness, accept it is possible but not sensible to leave the EU, and retract a,50. stop all this democracy, lie back and enjoy being fcuked by the EU bureaucracy/
    ftfy

10. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

GJH

Liked 3,426 in 1,784 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Britain wants to control EU migrants. In the absence of a border, how will it do that ? By relying on another country to do it? So much for 'taking back control'.
    The common travel area can't function over an external border. It worked before both states joined the EU and it worked afterwards, like a mini-Schengen.
    Works for Norway...

Mind, I don't think the common travel area is a bad thing so...

Liked 2,746 in 1,636 posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post

3, stop the madness, accept it is possible but not sensible to leave the EU, and retract a,50.
    You'd have thought.
    This is getting to the point where the details are starting to come clear, it's becoming apparent what the actual cost is and exactly who is going to get shafted. Unless anyone can point me to the part of the referendum question which said "NI leaves the UK, they don't want to but no questions asked."
    This wasn't even part of "project fear" by the way, they didn't have enough imagination to consider it would unfold to the point that these sort of considerations would even be tabled. Hilarious.

13. The following 2 users liked this useful post by DefTrap:

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,875 in 3,053 posts

At Work
    Liked 535 in 348 posts

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    ... appears to be one of two options:

1. A hard border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic which would preserve the integrity of the UK.

or

2. A soft border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic which would require a hard border in the Irish Sea which would effectively mean Northern Ireland leaving the UK.

What say you?
    Maybe let the people of N Ireland decide with a referendum? An interesting poll I read this morning suggests that the majority would support a united Ireland if Brexit goes ahead, while that majority shifted to staying within the UK if the UK remains in the EU. Interesting in that it shows Brexit plays a more important role than religion where a united Ireland is concerned.
    Of course, southern Ireland may not have the appetite for a united Ireland, especially given the financial consequences it could suffer in the event of a hard Brexit.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,785 in 2,377 posts

Yay! Another Brexit thread!

FFS

At Work
    Liked 535 in 348 posts

Something I've not seen much discussion on is the Good Friday Agreement allowing all those born in N Ireland (and their spouses and children) the rights to an Irish passport, making them EU citizens. Will the EU continue to accept this? Will those who apply for an Irish passport receive EU rights and future rights, and who will be burdened with the cost? (eg the potential European unemployment benefits scheme, the right for students to travel for free/low cost university education).

Liked 1,397 in 992 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    Something I've not seen much discussion on is the Good Friday Agreement allowing all those born in N Ireland (and their spouses and children) the rights to an Irish passport, making them EU citizens. Will the EU continue to accept this? Will those who apply for an Irish passport receive EU rights and future rights, and who will be burdened with the cost? (eg the potential European unemployment benefits scheme, the right for students to travel for free/low cost university education).
    Yes, but, this one will be better and we are leaving this time and getting a better deal with Turkish kebabs.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission