TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 620 of 620 FirstFirst ... 120520570610618619620
Results 9,286 to 9,294 of 9294

Thread: The Brexit bottom line ...

Liked 2,391 in 1,556 posts

Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by murcan View Post
    Among other things remain enthusiasts seem to over look is that he never said anything about giving the the whole of the 350 million to the NHS and in fact he made no promise to give any of the money to the NHS. The suggestion was made that the NHS could be one of the things you spend the money on. .
    People voted based on the 'suggestion' despite your analysis.
    Boris is a clever operator beneath the buffoon exterior, and your paragraph outlines the plausible deniability.

Liked 4,907 in 3,280 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    A few People may have voted based on the 'suggestion' despite your analysis.
    Boris is a clever operator beneath the buffoon exterior, and your paragraph outlines the plausible deniability.
    FTFY

For balance, a few people may have voted based on George Osborne's assertion that there would be* an emergency budget if we voted to leave. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi...endum-36534192

And that was just one of the dire predictions of what would follow a Leave vote that just haven't come to pass.

* Not "might be" but "would be".

Liked 2,539 in 1,395 posts

I'm sorry but it sounds as though you are just following the party line and calling leave voters stupid people who didn't know what they were voting for. I've heard that a thousand times. Would you like to go for two with the "old people wrecking my future" shouldn't have had a vote?
    My paragraph was just a reference to what you've now seen. Boris being straight forward regarding what his figures were and why he used them in interviews with clearly hostile presenters. I imagine the judges saw the pre-vote interviews along with other evidence and that's why they concluded the figures were accurate and Boris wasn't lying.

Quote Originally Posted by murcan View Post
    I'm sorry but it sounds as though you are just following the party line and calling leave voters stupid people who didn't know what they were voting for. I've heard that a thousand times. Would you like to go for two with the "old people wrecking my future" shouldn't have had a vote?
    My paragraph was just a reference to what you've now seen. Boris being straight forward regarding what his figures were and why he used them in interviews with clearly hostile presenters. I imagine the judges saw the pre-vote interviews along with other evidence and that's why they concluded the figures were accurate and Boris wasn't lying.
    You seem to be suggesting that the two elements of the bus slogan are distinct and separate rather than conditional. I don't recall saying voters didn't know what they were voting for, but lump me in with those that did, why don't you; it's easy and lazy. Why they were voting for leave is another matter. I'm suggesting that voters read the slogan as a whole; it doesn't take much for people to conflate the two parts - 'what's my motivation for not sending money to Brussels? Ah, a warm fuzzy feeling about supporting the NHS which helps those most in need'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudge_theory
    A nudge makes it more likely that an individual will make a particular choice, or behave in a particular way, by altering the environment so that automatic cognitive processes are triggered to favour the desired outcome.

You seem to be suggesting that the two elements of the bus slogan are distinct and separate rather than conditional. I don't recall saying voters didn't know what they were voting for, but lump me in with those that did, why don't you; it's easy and lazy. Why they were voting for leave is another matter. I'm suggesting that voters read the slogan as a whole; it doesn't take much for people to conflate the two parts - 'what's my motivation for not sending money to Brussels? Ah, a warm fuzzy feeling about supporting the NHS which helps those most in need'.
    For over three years remainers have been saying that what was written on the side of a bus was a lie. The High Court has definitively ruled that it wasn't a lie. I'm sure Boris can survive without an apology from you but an acceptance that you were wrong would be nice.

By the way, I still haven't seen any acknowledgement that the remainer predictions of increased unemployment, an immediate recession, an emergency budget etc. were falsehoods. How many voters were "nudged" to vote Remain by those lies?

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    For over three years remainers have been saying that what was written on the side of a bus was a lie. The High Court has definitively ruled that it wasn't a lie. I'm sure Boris can survive without an apology from you but an acceptance that you were wrong would be nice.

By the way, I still haven't seen any acknowledgement that the remainer predictions of increased unemployment, an immediate recession, an emergency budget etc. were falsehoods. How many voters were "nudged" to vote Remain by those lies?
    There you go again. The slogan in its entirety has yet to play out. The high court has said part of it wasn't untrue. May giving more money to the NHS is a non sequitur before the conclusion of Brexit, if it could be done without leaving. 'Remainers' aren't any more homogenous than leavers, so unless you can quote me saying it was a lie, how am I wrong for what other Remainers may have said? And show me where I said nudges don't work in both directions

Liked 9,546 in 4,975 posts

I know loads of Brexitiers round here, but I don't anyone that voted leave based on the bus and its slogan? I don't think I've ever met a leave voter that said, I was on the fence and until I saw the bus slogan...

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I know loads of Brexitiers round here, but I don't anyone that voted leave based on the bus and its slogan? I don't think I've ever met a leave voter that said, I was on the fence and until I saw the bus slogan...
    I'd be surprised if it didn't nudge a few voters towards Leave. I mean, all the money hiring a bus and putting a sign on it would have been a waste of money otherwise. But I'd also be surprised if Project Fear's lies didn't nudge a few voters the other way, that was the point of it, wasn't it?

Liked 2,539 in 1,395 posts

Your exact words were, "People voted based on the 'suggestion' despite your analysis." That statement looks to me as though you are saying that the slogan on the bus is why they voted leave.

The nudge theory, which isn't a theory but a hypothesis, might be acceptable regarding some decisions people make like which brand of sun block you choose. I doubt you can ramp up it's significance to a decider on an issue that has been in contention for four decades.

10. The following user liked this post made by murcan:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission