TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Pilot Car Tyres

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,215 in 1,946 posts

Default Michelin Pilot Car Tyres

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    My 140bhp front wheel drive Mitsubishi Lancer is going to need new front tyres soon, I'm thinking of fitting Michelin Pilots to it, they'll definitely be better than the NangKang TourSports that are on there at the moment, anyone got any recent experience of Michelin Pilots on a car?

My Ford Puma came with them on, they were grippy and it handled well on them, but they were nearly worn out when I got it so I don't know how long they'll last.

On the NangKangs the Lancer does a sort of little slide then grip thing if I push it on dry roundabouts (it's fine in the wet), it confuses the active stability control, which then make the car feel a bit weird, so in the dry I turn the ASC off.

Liked 1,294 in 916 posts

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Car Tyres

I found the same on my old Golf with the Michelin Pilot Sport. Dry roundabouts, bit of a slide then grip. Didn't even get a year out of a pair, but then it did have 200 horses up front and I did like to push it.

3. The following user liked this post made by Ant:

Liked 5,297 in 2,853 posts
    Blog Entries

I've heard good things about Falken - one from a Focus owner and another from a Golf owner. Maybe check out the hot hatch forums?

I put Falkens on my 2.2 Astra (148bhp), dry weather grip was good, but wet weather was a bit lacking, what I want is the same grip as the Falkens in the dry with better wet weather grip, I was hoping the Michelins would achieve this.

Tyre size is 215/45 18 and I'm looking for tyres upto 140 fitted each for it, I'm happy to hear any suggestions.

Falkens are 25 a tyre cheaper than Michelins but I think my previous experience of them puts me off fitting them to the front wheels of the car.
    The Falkens replaced Toyo Proxes which wore quickly and felt better in the wet than dry, which was a bit weird, I won't use Proxes again as they felt too soft and squidgy in the dry.

6. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 759 in 434 posts

I recently put 19 inch wheels on my AMG and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, and they are so much better than what I had on before, loads of grip in the wet and the dry. I really have to be pushing it before they get squily and I am playing with a 450hp V8

8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by JamJar:

Liked 1,276 in 930 posts

Goodyear Asymmetric all the way for me.

I have always had fairly poky cars and i swear by these.

I changed to these when the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's stopped being manufactured (at least i couldn;t find any) and they have been just as good.

Not sure of the price comparison with the Pilot's but would defo recommend the Goodyears.

I had Michelin Tyres on my old 300bhp impreza and they we're shit, then changed to Toyo Proxy P1's which we're meant to be the best but i also found they we're a bit crap, i then changed to the Goodyear Eagle F1's and my corner speed could increase by about 10mph, they literally transformed the car.

I also had some Toyo's on the golf i have now and those fuckers helped me spank it into a central reservation at 60mph, i have the Goodyears now and have so much more confidence when cornering hard.

I got a puncture in a rear tyre, so I've replaced it with a Falken (because it's what the tyre place I use had) and it feels okay, even in the wet.
    The slide - grip feeling I was getting on roundabouts has gone away and the car handles better, but now I can hear the stability control doing it's thing at what I consider to be moderate speeds round roundabouts, it makes the noise (sounds like a solenoid or relay working) on turn in, if I turn the stability control off the car doesn't make that noise (and handles better).

Maybe I should just drive less aggressively.

Liked 2,093 in 1,261 posts

I've used all of the above.

NOTHING comes even remotely close to Pilot Sport 4's / 4S's … I won't use anything else on cars.

Wear / wet weather performance is what you are paying for.

12. The following user liked this post made by Mr OCD:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OCD View Post
    I've used all of the above.

NOTHING comes even remotely close to Pilot Sport 4's / 4S's … I won't use anything else on cars.

Wear / wet weather performance is what you are paying for.
    Thanks, I'll probably stick a pair on the front of it when the NangKangs wear out (which won't be long)

14. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 2,361 in 1,295 posts

I can second that; wife has M Pilot Super Sport and they're really great, but the Pilot Sport 4S on mine are as good in the dry but even better in the wet. I changed over from Continental CS6 and these are better and wear better as well. Not even done a set of rears in 18 months! O_o

16. The following user liked this post made by NyseriA:

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,668 in 1,664 posts

Meh, all my vehicles get whatever Nexxen is cheapest as a mate is a dealer. Cars don't fall over like bikes so why buy expensive tyres when run of the mill do the job just fine. I've never been out cornered on the road on my cheap tyres nor on several track days with them so it's all a bit pistonheads wanting flash tyres on a road car

Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post
    Meh, all my vehicles get whatever Nexxen is cheapest as a mate is a dealer. Cars don't fall over like bikes so why buy expensive tyres when run of the mill do the job just fine. I've never been out cornered on the road on my cheap tyres nor on several track days with them so it's all a bit pistonheads wanting flash tyres on a road car
    It's 50 extra to have a pair of tyres that hopefully won't spin and slide (the NangKangs spin pulling away in the wet), they'll probably last a year or more, 50 a year on my motoring costs is feck all.

Liked 759 in 434 posts

Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post
    My AMG was spinning in the dry and the wet and sliding in the wet a lot, changing the tyres made a world of difference.

20. The following user liked this post made by JamJar:

Liked 5,621 in 3,522 posts
    Blog Entries

I put any old shite on my TT. The computer and 4WD took care of things

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    I put any old shite on my TT. The computer and 4WD took care of things
    Stability Control in the Lancer starts working too early in the dry, not too bad in the wet, but I don't like the way it feels, in the dry I prefer the feel of the car with it switched off, but I'll probably get used to it.

The only other car I've had with was a 2.2 Astra where you couldn't switch it off - and on that I quite liked it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission