TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming, is it really having an effect?

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,931 in 2,778 posts

Default Global warming, is it really having an effect?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Naturally I believe the answer is yes, hence the thread.

The predominant effect so far is the very slight warming of the oceans which appear to be acting as a gigantic heat sink, potentially leading to gigantic effects over the long term. As it warms it expands so sea level rises, as land locked ice melts and flow into the seas, that too affects sea level (and salinity)

We are also seeing the predicted increase in extreme weather though I accept that is a contentious issue which perhaps we can explore if there's anyone else interested in this topic.

The thing that sparked this off is the potential for flooding to cause massive swathes of migration as peoples from threatened areas get literally swamped. Bangladesh is the obvious first potential casualty. Huge population, low lying lands, they're fucked. Paradoxically flooding typically leads to water shortages as fresh water becomes scarce, contaminated water leads to disease, people move. Where are they going to go?

Anyhow, got all this way through the post without mentioning Brexit once.

Doh!

Liked 5,927 in 3,731 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Global warming, is it really having an effect?

It's fucking lovely and warm here

Liked 5,026 in 3,357 posts

It's a hobgoblin.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    <snip>

We are also seeing the predicted increase in extreme weather ...
    No, we're not.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,483 in 2,113 posts

I don't think there's any debate about whether the earth is getting warmer, it's the cause of it that's up for discussion, is it man made or a warming up as the earth goes through one of it's natural temperature change cycles.

5. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 5,927 in 3,731 posts
    Blog Entries

Is it warmer now than before the ice age?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Is it warmer now than before the ice age?
    I don't know, but apparently it was very warm when the dinosaurs ruled the world.

Liked 3,332 in 2,199 posts

very slight warming of the oceans which appear to be acting as a gigantic heat sink, potentially leading to gigantic effects over the long term. As it warms it expands so sea level rises, as land locked ice melts
    Potentially worsening the situation as the loss of ice, presumably, means that the Earth absorbs heat that would otherwise have been reflected?

However, it wasn't too long ago that we had an ice age in the UK (10,000 years?), then events where the Thames froze over. So is it 'change' or 'rate of change', and how can we tell whether it's really man-made or part of a natural cycle?

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,931 in 2,778 posts

I think I might just leave this where it is. Go and do something err - else...

<edit> not aimed at you @Horse I think I just suddenly felt a massive wave of depression fall over me as I read some of the replies. Like waking up and suddenly discovering you're back in the '80's

10. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Liked 424 in 230 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I don't know, but apparently it was very warm when the dinosaurs ruled the world.
    So who did the dinosaurs blame for the earth becoming colder all of a sudden? Well over a few millenia or so or whatever but you know. Was there a right wing population of carnivorous pteradactyls that the left wing, vegetarian brontosaurus hounded out of extinction? Or was climate change based on the veggie dinos and all the methane gas produced by them chomping their way through tons of green stuff?

Climate change has always happened. It always will until the earth burns itself to death, or explodes or the sun goes out.

Happy days. Ill not be around to GAF.

I think I might just leave this where it is. Go and do something err - else...

<edit> not aimed at you @Horse I think I just suddenly felt a massive wave of depression fall over me as I read some of the replies. Like waking up and suddenly discovering you're back in the '80's
    Did you want a discussion or did you want your opinions validated?
    It looks like you wanted validation, rather than discussion, not every one has to agree with each other and you can still be nice to each other even though you disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcoholic View Post
    So who did the dinosaurs blame for the earth becoming colder all of a sudden? Well over a few millenia or so or whatever but you know. Was there a right wing population of carnivorous pteradactyls that the left wing, vegetarian brontosaurus hounded out of extinction? Or was climate change based on the veggie dinos and all the methane gas produced by them chomping their way through tons of green stuff?

Climate change has always happened. It always will until the earth burns itself to death, or explodes or the sun goes out.

Happy days. Ill not be around to GAF.
    Wasn't it a dirty great meteor that caused their problems, proving that you can plan all you want, but something unexpected might nearly wipe out life on earth.

14. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Quote Originally Posted by Falcoholic View Post
    Contrary to what the Green lobby will tell you, the Earth doesn't need saving. It will persist long after mankind has gone. Probably. The only things we might affect are the manner in which mankind ends and ourexperience along the way.

What's the saying about "It's a fun ride, but no-one gets off alive"?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Did you want a discussion or did you want your opinions validated?
    It looks like you wanted validation, rather than discussion, not every one has to agree with each other and you can still be nice to each other even though you disagree.
    I took it at face value, that actually thinking about what might happen is actually depressing for him, and he doesn't want extra grief.

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,910 in 1,971 posts

Something might be happening to our climate. Some of that might (and probably is) due to humans. Things that we could do might make a difference.

OTOH predicting what are probably global cycles spanning millions of years from about 200 years of reasonable data and a few thousand years of extremely patchy data is always going to be a bit of a guess. As others have said, the planet will survive, homo sapiens may not.

Will I support reasonable measures to help? Yes.
    Will I become vegan, take up yogurt weaving and generally eschew plastics and fossil fuels? No.
    Will I worry about what might happen? No.

18. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Will I become vegan, take up yogurt weaving and generally eschew plastics and fossil fuels? No.
    Probably more relevant for younger people who (if we find new antibiotics to replace those that the bugs are becoming resistant to) will be around in another 80+ years.

Alternative fuels will probably not be an option for them. Similarly, if the world's population keeps growing then there may well be a limit on what even intensive farming can grow, let alone use crops to feed cattle etc., so diet is likely to be very different.

Or, there are a few flu-type epidemics, and resistant bugs take over too, In which case, just living will be a challenge.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission