TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 564 of 846 FirstFirst ... 64464514554562563564565566574614664 ... LastLast
Results 8,446 to 8,460 of 12685

Thread: The Brexit bottom line ...

  1. #8446
    Should Get Out More Bobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wigan :(
    Posts
    11,507
    Like
    2,480
    Liked 1,233 in 824 posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    As Bobz has said, there are exceptions in the EU rules which allow state aid, some of which would likely apply to British Steel. A recent study by the IPPR found that the UK could triple its state aid under EU laws if it wished to do so.
    One of my old EU law professors did a study on the Labour manifesto. About 3 of the policies would need minor adjustments. A couple would fall within exemptions already in place. A few would need notification to the Commission but would likely pass as not aid, and the rest were nowhere near state aid. The leftist idea that State Aid rules would block their plans is a lie. Either about the State Aid rules or about their plans.

    For a more accurate summary see below.

    https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-a...d-fact-checked

  2. #8447
    Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,669
    Like
    607
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    23 countries within the EU are producers of steel

    Do you honestly believe that we won't still be party to state aid controls if we want a trade agreement with the EU after Brexit?

    As Bobz has said, there are exceptions in the EU rules which allow state aid, some of which would likely apply to British Steel. A recent study by the IPPR found that the UK could triple its state aid under EU laws if it wished to do so.
    No and there are terms for fair trading even under WTO rules, though they don't appear to apply to China...

    However, I find myself in the difficult position of trying to defend the current shower of shit we refer to as our government. I may have to get back to you.

  3. #8448
    Should Get Out More irie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Noviomagus Reginorum
    Posts
    21,941
    Like
    6,172
    Liked 3,084 in 2,210 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver
    Oh.Oh. I know. Why don't we just stick a tariff on that cheapo Chinese steel, stop them from dumping their problems onto us at a loss they can afford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    The EU did, back in February The UK voted in favour.
    http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/pre...steel-products
    Quote Originally Posted by irie
    Your link refers to tariffs on US steel, not Chinese steel.

    A Commission investigation was launched in March 2018 as part of the European Union's response to the decision by the United States to impose tariffs on steel products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    No, it refers to steel tariffs across the board, once individual quotas have been reached, ie you can import x amount before we apply tariffs. The US is mentioned heavily because its decision to impose tariffs on steel saw a large increase in the amount of steel coming into the EU, as the US was no longer an attractive place to export to.
    Nice swerve, but China is not mentioned in your link.

  4. #8449
    At Work
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,975
    Like
    841
    Liked 658 in 434 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    Nice swerve, but China is not mentioned in your link.
    Sorry, in future I'll make an allowance for thickos who need everything spelled out.

  5. #8450
    At Work
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,975
    Like
    841
    Liked 658 in 434 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    However, I find myself in the difficult position of trying to defend the current shower of shit we refer to as our government. I may have to get back to you.
    Have a read of the US draft demands for a trade agreement with the UK. And hope that by the time it comes round to negotiating it, the current shower of shit have long gone.

  6. #8451
    Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,669
    Like
    607
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    Have a read of the US draft demands for a trade agreement with the UK. And hope that by the time it comes round to negotiating it, the current shower of shit have long gone.
    Have you read Noam Chomsky's book "Who Rules the World"?

    Here was me thinking it was nice to live in a "Grand Area"...

  7. #8452
    Should Get Out More slowsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    RoI
    Posts
    11,010
    Like
    583
    Liked 3,058 in 2,000 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    . If we can escape from EU control, whichever government is voted into office will have to answer to the British public as to why they are keen to destroy our steel industry or become indebted to China. The wider community within the UK can get to decide what sort of society they want to enjoy via a democratic process.
    You mean, like the coal industry ?

  8. #8453
    Should Get Out More MrTack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    12,947
    Like
    2,827
    Liked 2,535 in 1,226 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla View Post
    Ive got a couple of mates who will be getting paid off .

  9. #8454
    Should Get Out More Bobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wigan :(
    Posts
    11,507
    Like
    2,480
    Liked 1,233 in 824 posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTack View Post
    Ive got a couple of mates who will be getting paid off .
    My condolences to them. First casualties.

    I am seriously wondering whether SCM will come in with a surprise rescue package, either standalone or as part of a consortium...

  10. #8455
    Should Get Out More Bobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wigan :(
    Posts
    11,507
    Like
    2,480
    Liked 1,233 in 824 posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    You mean, like the coal industry ?
    Where there is a will there is a way. When State Aid is cited as a blocker, it is quite often that there isn't a will.

    The Commission can pre-clear aid regimes, and often a state aid investigation takes quite a while to complete. Not entirely within the spirit of things, but it would be entirely open to Government to grant the aid to fix a short term issue and then worry about recovery of any impermissible aid when the Commission makes its decision, and all the appeals have been heard etc.

  11. #8456
    Should Get Out More irie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Noviomagus Reginorum
    Posts
    21,941
    Like
    6,172
    Liked 3,084 in 2,210 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    Sorry, in future I'll make an allowance for thickos who need everything spelled out.

    Last edited by irie; 22-05-19 at 18:30. Reason: Insert image

  12. #8457
    Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,669
    Like
    607
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    You mean, like the coal industry ?
    Coal and steel go hand in hand. It's why China are doing so well because they are smack in the middle of their own industrial revolution

    Your snide comments are getting tiresome. If you don't have anything to say, best not say anything.

  13. #8458
    Should Get Out More slowsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    RoI
    Posts
    11,010
    Like
    583
    Liked 3,058 in 2,000 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Coal and steel go hand in hand. It's why China are doing so well because they are smack in the middle of their own industrial revolution

    Your snide comments are getting tiresome. If you don't have anything to say, best not say anything.
    Snide = disagrees with you ?

    Do you think it necessary to mention the connection between coal and steel in Brexit thread of all things, given the origins of the eu ?
    Given your argument, if Britain doesn't have a coal industry, what does it need a steel industry for?

  14. #8459
    Should Get Out More Pirahna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,934
    Like
    1,215
    Liked 1,819 in 951 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Nigel Farage Tweet from April 2016 is doing the rounds at the moment

    "If we vote to Remain on June 23rd it is the end of the steel industry in this country. Simple as that. We must Leave EU"

    Plenty of sources, here's one https://www.indy100.com/article/nige...-tweet-8925651

  15. #8460
    Should Get Out More Bobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wigan :(
    Posts
    11,507
    Like
    2,480
    Liked 1,233 in 824 posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Coal and steel go hand in hand.
    Correct. You need coal to have a steel industry. You don't need a UK coal industry to have a UK steel industry though - you would ordinarily expect it, but if UK coal becomes more expensive than imported coal, buying UK coal would likely take the UK steel industry down, as it would then be artificially expensive to make UK steel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    It's why China are doing so well because they are smack in the middle of their own industrial revolution.
    Actually, I think that you'll find that the reason that China is doing so well is that Chinese industry doesn't have inconveniences like Worker's rights, minimum wage, health and safety at work etc. They're not just in the middle of their own industrial revolution, they're reliving ours, including the reasons that we did so well in ours.

    Is Sir missing the 'good old days'?

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission