TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 601 of 741 FirstFirst ... 101501551591599600601602603611651701 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,015 of 11110

Thread: The Brexit bottom line ...

  1. #9001
    Should Get Out More Pirahna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,477
    Like
    996
    Liked 1,549 in 803 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Nigel Farage Tweet from April 2016 is doing the rounds at the moment

    "If we vote to Remain on June 23rd it is the end of the steel industry in this country. Simple as that. We must Leave EU"

    Plenty of sources, here's one https://www.indy100.com/article/nige...-tweet-8925651

  2. #9002
    Should Get Out More Bobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wigan :(
    Posts
    11,626
    Like
    2,476
    Liked 1,229 in 822 posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Coal and steel go hand in hand.
    Correct. You need coal to have a steel industry. You don't need a UK coal industry to have a UK steel industry though - you would ordinarily expect it, but if UK coal becomes more expensive than imported coal, buying UK coal would likely take the UK steel industry down, as it would then be artificially expensive to make UK steel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    It's why China are doing so well because they are smack in the middle of their own industrial revolution.
    Actually, I think that you'll find that the reason that China is doing so well is that Chinese industry doesn't have inconveniences like Worker's rights, minimum wage, health and safety at work etc. They're not just in the middle of their own industrial revolution, they're reliving ours, including the reasons that we did so well in ours.

    Is Sir missing the 'good old days'?

  3. #9003
    Should Get Out More Pirahna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,477
    Like
    996
    Liked 1,549 in 803 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...


  4. The following user liked this post made by Pirahna:


  5. #9004
    Should Get Out More irie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Noviomagus Reginorum
    Posts
    20,606
    Like
    5,189
    Liked 2,793 in 1,983 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla View Post
    Correct. You need coal to have a steel industry. You don't need a UK coal industry to have a UK steel industry though - you would ordinarily expect it, but if UK coal becomes more expensive than imported coal, buying UK coal would likely take the UK steel industry down, as it would then be artificially expensive to make UK steel.

    Actually, I think that you'll find that the reason that China is doing so well is that Chinese industry doesn't have inconveniences like Worker's rights, minimum wage, health and safety at work etc. They're not just in the middle of their own industrial revolution, they're reliving ours, including the reasons that we did so well in ours.

    Is Sir missing the 'good old days'?
    Sir has evidently forgotten what he has previously said about Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

    https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow-needs2.webp

  6. #9005
    Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,786
    Like
    602
    Liked 5,931 in 2,778 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla View Post
    Is Sir missing the 'good old days'?
    My views on pollution and AGW are very well known. Britain did well out of the industrial revolution but we now know the true cost in terms of CO2, pollution, etc. China also know this but are building more and more coal fired power stations, are the world leaders in pollution and steel production (?) as well as dumping an estimated three million tons of plastic waste into the ocean every year.

    Three.

    Million.

    Tons.

    That's about of third of the estimated worldwide total and there's no sign of them stopping any time soon. So yeah, I am a teensy bit anti-China and I don't believe in the "well you did it to get where you are, now it's our turn" excuse either.

    Please go ahead and tell me how clean and environmentally responsible China claim they are being. I could do with a good laugh.

  7. #9006
    Should Get Out More Yambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Looking at the Med . . .
    Posts
    16,826
    Like
    1,222
    Liked 4,042 in 1,991 posts
    Blog Entries
    23

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    Nigel Farage Tweet from April 2016 is doing the rounds at the moment

    "If we vote to Remain on June 23rd it is the end of the steel industry in this country. Simple as that. We must Leave EU"

    Plenty of sources, here's one https://www.indy100.com/article/nige...-tweet-8925651

    We are still in the EU and the steel industry is suffering. Didn't see you as a Farage supporter.

  8. #9007
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    309
    Like
    112
    Liked 53 in 41 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Further to Screwd's obs on China......

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48353341

    ie not just coal and plastic

  9. The following user liked this post made by treadeager:


  10. #9008
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    27,995
    Like
    4,217
    Liked 5,026 in 3,357 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Well, I've just exercised my franchise.

    Being a thick as pigshit Brexiteer I wasn't quite sure how to vote, luckily there was an arrow pointing to the correct box to put my cross.

  11. #9009
    Should Get Out More slowsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    RoI
    Posts
    9,581
    Like
    367
    Liked 2,482 in 1,618 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    Well, I've just exercised my franchise.

    Being a thick as pigshit Brexiteer I wasn't quite sure how to vote, luckily there was an arrow pointing to the correct box to put my cross.
    Your fifth-columnist fellow-travellers in the councils have been doing their bit to narrow the odds. Or is it just incompetence?

    EU citizens in UK complain of being denied right to vote
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-admin-errors

  12. #9010
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    27,995
    Like
    4,217
    Liked 5,026 in 3,357 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Your fifth-columnist fellow-travellers in the councils have been doing their bit to narrow the odds. Or is it just incompetence?

    EU citizens in UK complain of being denied right to vote
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-admin-errors
    Probably incompetence rather than malice. This is government when all said and done.

    Hanlon's Razor: Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

  13. #9011
    Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,786
    Like
    602
    Liked 5,931 in 2,778 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Germany plant a bomb under a polling station in SW London.

    Is there anything the EU won't do to try and stop us from leaving?

  14. #9012
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    27,995
    Like
    4,217
    Liked 5,026 in 3,357 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Germany plant a bomb under a polling station in SW London.

    Is there anything the EU won't do to try and stop us from leaving?
    Don't worry Screwd, it's that LondOn, they're all remainers there.

    Hoist by their own petard, so to speak.

  15. #9013
    Should Get Out More melons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,855
    Like
    1,360
    Liked 634 in 439 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Received this email from the good ol' Labour Party this afternoon, maybe should have posted this in the Humour section

    Screenshot (16).jpg

  16. The following user liked this post made by melons:


  17. #9014
    Should Get Out More irie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Noviomagus Reginorum
    Posts
    20,606
    Like
    5,189
    Liked 2,793 in 1,983 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    Quote Originally Posted by melons View Post
    Received this email from the good ol' Labour Party this afternoon, maybe should have posted this in the Humour section

    Screenshot (16).jpg
    Loving the hypocrisy.

  18. #9015
    Should Get Out More gremlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Posts
    16,533
    Like
    508
    Liked 4,594 in 2,285 posts

    Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

    And exit May, stage left.....

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission