TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 323 of 323 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 4845

Thread: The Brexit bottom line ...

Liked 2,646 in 1,879 posts

Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    While in Barbados a couple of weeks ago we went past the European Union office ...

Liked 3,072 in 1,602 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Have you seen what the Brussels elite spend on themselves? I don't mean just their generous salaries, expenses and a pension that would make a police officer blush, but the fabric of their empire building. You know, offices and meeting rooms that reflect their own self importance. Remembering that the UK is the third largest contributor of funds (second behind Germany if you accept the "rebate" for what it is) and that we pay more into the EU than we get out of it, it pisses me off to see all these vastly expensive conceits being built with my money!

We have a Houses of Parliament and a Buckingham Palace, we don't need to be building similar edifices for the self aggrandisement of these empire building eurocrats. I am not entirely convinced we can afford it. I'd certainly suggest there are better things to spend money on than flitting between luxurious buildings in Brussels, Strasburg and Luxembourg. It is almost the very definition of a gravy train for these eurocrats to fly hither and thither doing goodness knows what, it makes their frequent "fact finding" missions to the worlds most luxurious holiday destinations seem almost value for money.

So it is not just the duplicity I find unnecessary, it is the extravagant and wasteful use of resources in creating that duplication of effort.
    To be fair you do need to invest in infrastructure. If you accept the idea of the European parliament (and I get that you and many others don't), then you can't exactly expect them to hold all their meetings in a portacabin down on some spare land at the industrial park.

3. The following user liked this post made by balbas:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,586 in 1,755 posts

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    To be fair you do need to invest in infrastructure. If you accept the idea of the European parliament (and I get that you and many others don't), then you can't exactly expect them to hold all their meetings in a portacabin down on some spare land at the industrial park.
    Yebut they have 2 parliament buildings, with the whole posse of support trooping between Brussels and Strasbourg every 10 minutes.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,178 in 719 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    And how will any of those things improve your life?
    Last week I had to produce and laminate an A3 sign with this on it:
    EU_Sign.jpg

The EU funds (that bit that is over the 10bn a year that we sent it out of the goodness of our hearts) paid for 25% of some improvements to the Common Grazings over the hill from us.
    The field that is now better drained is only ever really accessed by sheep and the Collie dogs sent in to get them out.
    But you can add another entity to those who go there...
    The EU sign enforcement officer.
    Yep, the crofters didn't put up a sign to say that part (25%) of the funds used to improve the drainage were provided by the EU.
    So the EU required it through an enforcement notice .

Funnily enough, even though UK entities had funded 75% (well, 100% really, given the source of the money) of the improvement they didn't feel the need to have someone go in to a distant field to put up a sign to their munificence.
    Even if they had I doubt they'd have sent someone to check.
    The reason I doubt it is because people would, rightly, say it was a crass waste of money and put pressure on the elected officials to stop being so stupid.
    Sadly, there seems very little one (or many for that matter) can do to stop the EU being so stupid...other than leave and instead use the money to pay 100% rather than 75% for such worthy projects.

In other news, I'm hoping that my mother can come round at some time in the future and eat some of our pork and/or lamb without that being illegal.

Liked 1,903 in 873 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    EU_Sign.jpg
    I always assumed you had a much more fancy job than the print room boy

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by nidge:

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,486 in 2,555 posts

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    Perhaps not (don't tempt me) but the EU sets its own budget and has decided to spend to a more ridiculous degree in the opposite direction. It's not just one or two venues, there are eight institutions, the European Parliament, the Council of the European Union, the European Commission, the European Council, the European Central Bank, the Presidency of the Council of the European Union, the Court of Justice of the European Union and the European Court of Auditors. You would have thought a venue could be found in the entire continent of Europe but no. They splash out extravagance upon extravagance, each new exciting architectural masterpiece a cathedral of power befitting the status of the New Order...

Liked 1,178 in 719 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    I always assumed you had a much more fancy job than the print room boy
    You've no idea how much it cost me to switch print jobs!

Liked 2,802 in 1,842 posts

The EU funds . . . paid for 25% of some improvements to the Common Grazings over the hill from us. . . .Yep, the crofters didn't put up a sign to say that part (25%) of the funds used to improve the drainage were provided by the EU.
    Well no wonder people don't understand the benefits of the EU if lawbreakers CBA to put up signs . . .

11. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Perhaps not (don't tempt me) but the EU sets its own budget and has decided to spend to a more ridiculous degree in the opposite direction. It's not just one or two venues, there are eight institutions, the European Parliament, the Council of the European Union, the European Commission, the European Council, the European Central Bank, the Presidency of the Council of the European Union, the Court of Justice of the European Union and the European Court of Auditors. You would have thought a venue could be found in the entire continent of Europe but no. They splash out extravagance upon extravagance, each new exciting architectural masterpiece a cathedral of power befitting the status of the New Order...
    Don't forget the translation costs . . .

Liked 2,072 in 1,332 posts

Pffft - who needs 'em ?

Japan almost cancelled Brexit talks due to 'high-handed' letter report

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ox-jeremy-hunt

Liked 1,178 in 719 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Japan almost cancelled Brexit talks due to 'high-handed' letter – report

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ox-jeremy-hunt
    Presumably the EU kept Juncker from drunkenly slapping the Japanese delegation in the face and groping them during the EU's negotiations then?

15. The following user liked this post made by Kneerly Down:

Liked 3,613 in 1,777 posts
    Blog Entries

EU_Sign.jpg

Are you expecting to make another one in April with a different number of stars?

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    Are you expecting to make another one in April with a different number of stars?
    What's the likelihood of an 'EU sign enforcement officer' getting a visa?

[Or if a UK national, getting paid?]

Liked 1,178 in 719 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    I was rather hoping that, with under 1,000 hrs left in the EU, I wouldn't need to make this one, but what with the chance of TM keeping us under ECJ jurisdiction that much longer....

Oh, the friend who administers the Common Grazings, for whom I made the sign, has gone from Remain to Leave...I don't think this episode helped the EU's cause.

Liked 1,162 in 769 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    McLaren are advertising over 300 new jobs, most in the UK ( mainly Woking) so they must think it's worth having their business here.
    Perhaps in future a 'must have' for celebrity status will be to be able to afford a car built in the UK.
    McLaren buyers are not price conscious, and I very much doubt that McLaren will be shipping goods backwards and forwards over the channel. They also probably do not run JIT manufacturing and a bit of a delay at the ports is not going to cause them problems like having to halt the assembly line.

So yeah, I can see how bespoke manufacturing for uber rich clients probably won't be affected by Brexit.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission